IGNORED

Coolant for top off?

paRTy

All,

Can anyone recommend a compatible coolant additive for toping off a RTW, other than the gallon jug bmw sells. If I have to, I'll buy the gallon, but it will last me till I'm 100 years old. Was only looking for a QT, but not easy to find.

Just want to top it off a bit.

Will a regular top brand from an auto store work?

Thanks,

Thx Ikchris.....I would do that, but bike is apart for some servicing. If I can't find anything in the short time, I'll go by dealer when bike is back together.

Thought I'd top off during brake flush and oil change, etc.

Mine was below the min line when I checked it last month for the 12K service. About 4 oz. of distilled water brought it to the middle of the min/max lines. That much water shouldn't dilute it too much.

My dealer also just has the gallon bottle although the BMW fiche also shows a quart bottle, part# 82142209769. I will ask my dealer if they will order it next time I stop in.

Just noticed my coolant overflow canister does not have a hose connected at the top nipple, but there is one on bottom nipple.

Looks like the hose coming to the bottom nipple on overflow canister is coming from the overflow nipple at the radiator on right side.

Is that right/normal?

I have had, knock on wood, zero issues with my cooling.

Wrong coolant on an aluminum engine isn't good. And silicate free will chew up your water pump. Other systems require only certain corrosion inhibitors.

Over at ADVRider.com, one member claims the BMW coolant is G48 Glysantin, a glycol based silicate coolant.

I have no idea whether he's right, or not, so best to do your own research.

Stop by at the nearest Honda, Yamaha or Toyota dealership and grab a bottle of their own branded coolant. They are usually sold in one quarter bottles and I suspect it's exactly the same thing with different dyes added.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better coolant for aluminum engines.

• 2 weeks later...
All,

Can anyone recommend a compatible coolant additive for toping off a RTW, other than the gallon jug bmw sells. If I have to, I'll buy the gallon, but it will last me till I'm 100 years old. Was only looking for a QT, but not easy to find.

Just want to top it off a bit.

Will a regular top brand from an auto store work?

Thanks,

All you need is an anti-freeze that meets the BMW specs which, to my understanding is a number of the newer products from several manufacturers and most if not all at much better pricing.

Mobil-1's Mobil Coolant Extra Ready is, I believe, just like the BMW product, actually just a re-brand of the original BASF/Glysantin product.

It appears that the Zerex G48 is also fully compliant.

Many will say that it's not on the "Approved" list, but if BMW charges money to get on their approved list like Microsoft and others do than no thank you. All it has to do is meet the specs - that's it.

Over at ADVRider.com, one member claims the BMW coolant is G48 Glysantin, a glycol based silicate coolant.

I have no idea whether he's right, or not, so best to do your own research.

That's my understanding as well. Gysantin is a BASF Company.

Archived