IGNORED

Your Opinions on Residual Value needed

Twinsig

Retiring my 2002 1150RT and considering selling it as-is instead of parting-out.

Fully functional with no issues. All repairs & upgrades are mostly irrelevant no doubt.

The AS-IS configuration consists of:

214,000 mi on the engine

OEM shocks

OEM seat

OEM rear luggage rack/no topcase

Touring side cases

Spieglers

L side cam chain tensioner upgrade

50% + PR4GTs

It just doesn't seem right to dismantle a running oilhead, not to mention the time & headache involved with a part-out.

Personally I'd say sell it whole. It does have a lot of miles (thought my '96 was high at 180,xxx), but if it's in good shape mechanically then it's still a good riding machine. One question would be regarding the input shaft condition. Has it ever been replaced? My understanding is this tends to be a problem area on the 1150's.

Splines, not an issue on this 1150. And there's a long list of repairs/refurbs/replacements that have been performed on the old girl, but all of that is for a buyer I suppose.

So what is the "value"? $1400? $1600? $1800?

This would actually make a great machine for a re-entry type rider like I was when I bought it. Low cost, AND I've restored all of the normal stuff as well as the previously neglected aspects of wear & tear that is often ignored.

To me, the only question you haven't already answered is the number of miles on the clutch in the bike now.

If relativly low, I may have a potential buyer if reasonable shipping to Cali can be had.

To me, that's the biggie.

But yes, sell it whole.

In the big picture, you may get a few more dollars by parting but what is your time worth and killing a running bike (old friend) is just wrong.

FYI.

Photo is from 2012 spline inspection & lube, this trans was installed by the PO at 80,000. (the orig trans, was getting stuck in 2nd gear). In this photo the bike has 170-ish, clutch was at 5.8mm /50% clutch-life (90,000 miles). I have not opened it back up since then and now at 214,000. I have repaired the orig trans and have a clutch kit from a 29k bike and planned on installing both, maybe. Or, maybe sell these parts with the bike AS-IS. Sort of depends on interest & offers I guess.

One thing is certain, the RT is much more comfortable than the KGT!

DSC_0020.jpg

"One thing is certain, the RT is much more comfortable than the KGT! "

And that my friend is the crux of it all and many threads hereabout.

:grin:

I find the GT much more comfortable than the RT.

Butt I also use dino to lube my stock seat every 3,000 miles...

:wave:

Probably, maybe a bit higher? But if that thing has a working ABS, you'd probably get 5 bills for that, by itself.

Hmm, I'll give the dino seat-lube a try! Thanks :dopeslap:

ABS = narry a problem, flushed every year (at least) since 12. PO was every 2 yrs since new.

There are other things to consider such as the Ohlins which are on it right now, not OEMs. As well as RDL dual seat. I may consider running the AD with the entire list of details and see where it goes.

There are other things to consider such as the Ohlins which are on it right now, not OEMs. As well as RDL dual seat. I may consider running the AD with the entire list of details and see where it goes.

You probably need to part that thing out.

Or maybe better yet... Ebay you a stock seat and a couple OEM shocks. Sell the bike whole and make a little extra on the RDL and Ohlins.

Splines, not an issue on this 1150. And there's a long list of repairs/refurbs/replacements that have been performed on the old girl, but all of that is for a buyer I suppose.

This would actually make a great machine for a re-entry type rider like I was when I bought it. Low cost, AND I've restored all of the normal stuff as well as the previously neglected aspects of wear & tear that is often ignored.

There is a very active Beemer club in Alabama.

If you felt so inclined to help out a re-entry rider with a reasonably priced RT, you might contact president@bmwmoal.org and see if there was someone that would appreciate the bike.

I do not know about the US market but here a bike that mileage would only find one type of buyer: breakers eager to bag a fully functioning bike on the cheap to make spares out of it.

If you want to just get rid of the bike without the headache of dismantling it yourself, contact a number of breakers and ask for their offers. Personally I would take the best offer and just be done with it. I don't know about where you are, but here they usually pay in cash upon delivery so you'll get your money and nobody's going to complain you didn't tell about that tiny problem because nobody is going to ride that bike.

Now: you are going to make a whole lot more money by selling parts yourself. Around here just a set of sound plastics would be worth more (even far more) than the bike as a whole. Sound wheels will go in heartbeat, especially front ones (hence always sell them in pairs ;) ). If your ABS unit is still there and working that's another thing that will go quickly.

But the big problem is you'll be stuck with all the rest.

The market for BMW boxer engines isn't exactly vibrant because these engines are made to last. Transmissions will sell but need time. Forks, the same. OE shocks... if they are still the original ones you may be able to give them away for a song and dance. If you are lucky: everybody wants used Ohlins for the price of a Chinese pencil sharpener these days.

Then there's all the rest. If you have the room you can keep the best spares (wiring loom, Mototronic etc) and just bring the rest to the city dump.

So what is a reasonable total that can be had from parting an oilhead like this, assuming that you sell the more significant parts and don't try to sell every last little tiny screw. I've always wondered.

Archived