IGNORED

Prep my RT for a long ride.

Eckhard Grohe

Eckhard Grohe

Hi all:

Retired a couple of months ago and I am thinking of crossing one of those things off the bucket list. The way I see it is I need to do the following work to have it ship shape:

a. New fuel pump and filter. Still all original

b. HES wiring replacement. Wire is waiting for me.

c. Alternator belt replacement.

Anyone have any suggestions for other changes/ maintenance??

And what is the current thinking on externally mounted fuel filters???

Thanks

How may miles are on your bike? What parts have been replaced other than expendables? How many miles have you ridden each year for the past three years? Do you have a clymers or similar manual if you have to repair the bike on the road? A map or gps to get you to a bmw shop if you need repairs?

An external fuel filter is the only way to go.

The most likely problems you will have on the road are tires, tread in the morning and threads in the evening. This isn't great cause if it happens on Saturday evening your gonna be hotel bound until Tuesday. Fuel filter, not likely, but if it externally mounted and you are carrying a spare an easy fix. Alternator belt, three years or 48,000 miles replace. Carry an extra BMW one, those road fixes with the one you can get at the local parts store will get you in the limp to the shop mode at best. Batteries are probably the #1 problem on the road. Oil heads have metric size batteries, auto parts stores etc have batteries that are just a little bit bigger. They won't fit into the battery cage. Get a set of jumper cables that one end connects to an aux port on your bike and the other end has alligator connections. That way you can hook up an external battery set up on your bike and keep on going. Carry an extra headlight bulb, after nine pm the auto parts stores are closed and wal mart is your only friend on the road that late at night.

Congrats on retiring and attacking the bucket list.

Since you're opening the tank, I suggest replacing all the in-tank hoses, filter, strainer, pump vibration damper and depending an miles/age the fuel pump. I'm not a fan of relocating the filter to outside the tank but others are. My thought is BMW located it in the tank for a reason.

The other thing I'd do is service your starter, or maybe replace it. The internal gear cover and magnets fall off older starters and can ruin your day (or two or three).

We really need to know the mileage on your bike, but until you provide us with that info do some checking on drive shafts...specifically the u-joints. While they are not listed as a replacement item by BMW they definitely are a replacement item for higher mileage bikes.

The big problem as I see (and have experienced) it is that once the u-joint starts to go, it destroys itself in very short order.

Having new serviceable u-joints installed now should eliminate any future failures.

Eckhard Grohe

The answers to you questions are as follows:

How may miles are on your bike? 20,000

What parts have been replaced other than expendables? It has Ohlins struts, a K1100 rear wheel, extended front fender, SST brake kines. EBC Brake pads, Grimeca disk spools are waiting to be installed.

As far as accessories go I have Hella running lights, Corbin Seat, Odessey Battery, Autocomm & radio set, GPS Mount, RKA tank bag. Shelf for the GPS, GPS mount, RS mirror set, Eastern beaver headlight relay set, Fiamm Horns and more.

How many miles have you ridden each year for the past three years? too few.

Do you have a clymers or similar manual if you have to repair the bike on the road? Yes.

A map or gps to get you to a bmw shop if you need repairs? Several

Another question, "What is the best way to setup a radio link to a Honda GW 1500 CB setup? Add another radio to the GW or switch radios on my bike?

Morning Eckhard

a. New fuel pump and filter. Still all original--At your mileage probably no reason to change out the fuel pump as long as you haven't run it out of fuel a lot-- those pumps live a long happy life. It wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter but more for that FORCING you to do an inside the tank hose inspection/replacement than

just to install a new filter. If you use clean fuel then that original filter will last about as long as the pump will.

b. HES wiring replacement. Wire is waiting for me---Definitely do this before a long trip as that is major concern on an older 1100RT.

c. Alternator belt replacement.--- Yes, that should be looked at & replaced on older bikes.

Anyone have any suggestions for other changes/ maintenance??---If it were my 1100 bike I would definitely either (properly) install a new final drive crown bearing & seal before a long trip OR at least remove the spool & clean/inspect the crown bearing for signs of pitting, flaking, brinelling. When removing the spool IF dirt/sand found under the final drive vent then definitely a new crown bearing.

And what is the current thinking on externally mounted fuel filters???---I am definitely against mounting the filter externally. The number one reason is that it makes riders lazy so they just replace the filter but never again go into the tank to look at the internal hoses or pump isolator or pick up screen. If you use clean fuel then no reason to have an external filter & IF by chance you put in cruddy fuel then it will also plug the pick up screen inside the tank so you will have to go inside the tank anyhow. I have seen a number of 1100/1150 motorcycle trips interrupted or ruined by the pressure hoses inside the tank splitting or blowing off but never one ruined by a plugged in-tank fuel filter. In fact neither of my BMW 1200 motorcycles have a replaceable fuel filter from the factory. (check the 1200 hexhead thread for ANYBODY that has had a trip interrupted by a plugged non replaceable system)

More-- I would also suggest that you make up & carry long thin tow strap (to tow you or somebody else off the hiway & to a safe place to work on the bike) & also buy or make a good set of lightweight jumper cables then modify your bike to have a battery(+) post accessible to EASILY use those cables. (BMW offered an external post mounted near the starter-- or just make one)

Also make up a QUICK cheat sheet on how to jump relays for fuel pump & lighting as well as starter & carry that with you.

Also carry with you a GOOD tire repair kit ( & practice using it on old tires) as well as a small electric tire pump.

Lots more but this is a good starting point.

I've had a trip ruined by a plugged fuel filter so I always externalize on my oilheads. But I agree they're pretty rare.

I didn't see brake lines mentioned anywhere. I'd definitely put some steel-braided lines on that thing.

I back flushed the original fuel filter at 24K miles on my R1100 & was amazed at the amount of mud and crud that came out. Fuel was mostly from around here (Mpls) & to the Rockies couple of times. Definitely replace it..

Hi, Eckhard -

If you're not already a member of BMWMOA you might consider it. They now have a tire replacement option for punctures, 2 tires per year and towing up to 100 miles. Also the "Anonymous Book" for unforeseen needs can be a big plus.

Eckhard Grohe
I've had a trip ruined by a plugged fuel filter so I always externalize on my oilheads. But I agree they're pretty rare.

I didn't see brake lines mentioned anywhere. I'd definitely put some steel-braided lines on that thing.

Done.

Eckhard,

We're only ~550 km/5 1/2 hr ride away but if you're poking around and smelling the roses then we're probably at least a day's ride away. If you're by this way (Haliburton ON) there's generally a bunkie available for our bmwst friends. We'd even give you the cook's tour.

Eckhard Grohe

Thanks. That is very generous of you. I'll update as I go along. We first have to get some snow out of the way. so I can wheel bikes out of my tiny garage.

Archived