IGNORED

***Please Help*** 05 R1200 TB Sync Slack Please Verify This Video

jay1622

Good evening everyone! Doing the throttle bodies on my bike tomorrow and I am confused by something I am running into it and am hoping you guys can help.

I am pulling up on the cable just until there's tension; about 1 mm.

Is this the slack I need, or is the throttlebody moving that little bit my indication that there is zero slack altogether?

Both sides are identical in feel and response

Thoughts?

Good evening everyone! Doing the throttle bodies on my bike tomorrow and I am confused by something I am running into it and am hoping you guys can help.

I am pulling up on the cable just until there's tension; about 1 mm.

Is this the slack I need, or is the throttlebody moving that little bit my indication that there is zero slack altogether?

Both sides are identical in feel and response

Thoughts?

Morning Jay

You are pulling on the cable housing so fast that it is difficult to tell much. I slowed your video down so it looks like you have a bit of cable housing movement before the TB cam starts to move off the stop screw but still difficult to tell much.

Up by the twist grip is a rubber boot on the throttle cable-- slide that boot down a short ways then back the cable adjuster off a little, THEN s-l-o-w-l-y verify that you have more cable slack.

Basically, as long as your throttle body cams are SOLIDLY resting on the stop screws that you have enough cable slack.

Just a caution: NEVER/EVER move or adjust the idle stop screws as those are factory set & about impossible to get back to correct once moved.

Afternoon DR, Out of curiosity, how much slack should there be at each adjuster?

It seems like the idle stepper motors should have authority all the way to their minimum setting. Can the motors be parked at zero and the adjusters set to minimum slack? Then a sync between there and 2500 RPM?

Afternoon DR, Out of curiosity, how much slack should there be at each adjuster?

It seems like the idle stepper motors should have authority all the way to their minimum setting. Can the motors be parked at zero and the adjusters set to minimum slack? Then a sync between there and 2500 RPM?

Afternoon Roger

The manual says "Slight play is perceptible at the throttle cables of the throttle valves" but does give a .5-1mm suggested setting.

Lots of thoughts on holding the steppers at 0 (seated pintle) but the steppers do follow the throttle up to part throttle so should really be left in the loop when adjusting the off-idle balance.

Personally I go by the let the steppers follow the throttle as that is the way the bike runs going down the road.

Lots of great and sensible replies here and advrider. The collective (and agreed upon) consensus I received by some pretty famous (forum) people is summarized like this...

Jim H via advrider, "That looks like zero slack to me. The slack should be in the cable and the cable shroud should pull out of the adjuster socket 1 mm without rotating the pulley off its hard stop adjusting screw. When setting cable slack at the TB, I hold pulley against the hard stop to insure it is not moving."

I followed this and, WOW, what a difference... At idle and at both idle and cruising-speed sync.

All were spot-on here on this site. Thank you gents!

Archived