IGNORED

LCD - variable contrast

Missouri Bob

I have an 08 R1200GS. For the past 1000 miles or so, the LCD's contrast varies, sometimes getting dark enough to make reading it difficult. After a few minutes, it returns to its normal contrast.

The behavior does not appear to be temperature dependent.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bob

I have an 08 R1200GS. For the past 1000 miles or so, the LCD's contrast varies, sometimes getting dark enough to make reading it difficult. After a few minutes, it returns to its normal contrast.

The behavior does not appear to be temperature dependent.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bob

The turn signal indicators in my dash do that. I was told it's in my head. It isn't. At this point it runs.

Hi Bob,

there is a light sensor on the 1200 RT on the left hand guage, the right is for the alarm blinker. This adjusts contrast and the back lighting of your dials.(I know it has a manual adjuster on the RT).

I cannot picture the 08 cluster in my head, but there is a white/clear area under the reset button if that is the model you have - check if this is clean or being covered with a keyfob or something while riding, failing that you may have a intermittant fault/failing photoresistor.

if you have the newer one, then i beleive that is white circle and cross symbol on the upper right of your LCD display.

Good hunting!

After screwing around with my brother's GS (2009) and a torchlight in the interest of science I can tell you the GS photosensor appears to be far less responsive than that on the RT, perhaps due to where it's mounted.

Try wiping the photosensor (small white thing near the reset button on the instrument panel) with rubbing alcohol a Q-Tip. If that doesn't help, try putting a heavy rag on the clocks each time you park the bike outside.

Then report back. :thumbsup:

Archived