IGNORED

Re: Brakes on RT WC

Skywagon

The bike was two years old this weekend. Hard to believe as still feels very new. Well that reminded me it is time to change the brake fluid.

My last bike was a 2005 R1150RT. Whizzy brakes and one heck of a complicated process always with the risk the module would die and you would be out a couple of grand.

Fast forward to the new bike...Completely conventional. Took a whopping 20 minutes to do front and back. It took me longer to stuff rags all over the bike to protect paint than to do it.

One warning....when you pull the front reservoir cap, be careful. Mine was completely full. Had my bars not been straight it would have spilled.

The fluid in the front and rear looked just like the fluid coming out of the new unopened bottle. No signs of water or browning.

While I was doing things, checked my antifreeze by pulling the side cover. So far no leak....knock on plastic. I looked at the weep hole under the engine and no signs either.

I checked the manual for exact level in the bottle. One of the things the manual said was if the system is low, something is wrong, take it do your dealer for corrective action....so those of you who are having the weeping pump, you might show your dealer that language.

Still loving the bike.

I too had the life changing experience of maintenance on my '04 1150 RT's brakes!

I bought speed bleeders for this RT. That took longer to install than the servicing. While I really liked the "whizzy brakes" I don't miss the maintenance or the motor running at a stop when holding the brakes.....

Archived