IGNORED

Water Pump

Bobup

Good morning, after 3900 miles my water pump still seeps some coolant after a ride. I'm OK with it as it is not much. I have reviewed previous posts and I believe this may be normal on some bikes and not others. My question is, does the pump seal ever seat in and the seeping stops or does it just gets worst? Thanks, Alex.

Nope

By now it should have sealed if it ever would.

Take the bike back for warranty repair.

My 2014 as an example has never weeped, despite hard riding in 35+ degree Celsius through mountain ranges over here in Australia.

If it hasn't sealed after a 1000km then it isn't acceptable. In the end you should have a bike that doesn't weep at all, no matter what.

I have been watching this subject for quite a while.

It is reported that early in the '14 production run a change to the water pump was made. It has not been clear if this was a recall or just a change to the pump in the (then) current production run.

As the '14's and 15's hit the road there were a good number of weeping pumps replaced under warranty.

At some point a few months back, the Mothership told dealers to no longer replace the pumps unless there was a significant weep. It was also reported that no replacements until after the 6k service.

FWIW I would recommend taking good photographs of your weep and contact the service manager of your dealership about the weep. I believe the SM can authorize a warranty replacement if he thinks it is serious.

The change of my pump was easy and did not take very long. In all my tracking of this issue no one has reported engine failures or damage. I most cases the coolant level has not shown a major drop in level.

Good luck and I expect the dealer will not want to replace it unless it is a real gusher.... and yes it might get better over time but keep an eye on it.

Archived