IGNORED

Sunday afternoon Adirondack run... brrrrrr!

Beembish

I Left my home about 2PM today heading out for a 2 1/2 to 3hr ride. I'm wearing a flannel lined jeans with chaps, military jungle boots with insulated socks, my leather jacket with the liner, an LL Bean chamois shirt and my BMW electric vest and insulated gauntlet gloves.

I took Rt 12 North through Utica and continued until I picked up Rt 8 North proceeding towardthe village of Poland. It was a beautiful sunny day in the low to mid forties. What us Northerners will do for a ride after being cooped up most of the winter. Rt 8 is terrific road that can a lot of the way can be run at 75 to 80 or more in warm weather. It has some real nice twisties and quite a few straight stretches where you can let the RT out once in awhile. I continued north through the villages of Poland and Cold Brook (don't blink) on Rt 8 and began the climb into the Adirondack Mountains following the West Canada Creek (more a river) through the tiny settlement of Hoffmiester.

So far warm as toast with my BMW vest plugged in and the heated grips on low. After Hoffmiester the road begins to really climb... snow is still two feet deep in the woods and I can feel the cold working it's way into my legs and arms a bit, but not too bad. The temperature is under the freezing mark and the whitewashed looking road is dry and clear. Another 10 miles and I move the heated grips on high and my throttle thumb is a bit chilly. The road begins to look like it frozen, so I slow way down to have a better look and then back up to cruise at 50 for several miles past the Bear Path Restaurant (which is closed) until the road looks better. The temperature is by far the coldest I've ever ridden at, maybe 25 degrees.

By now I know I'm cold, so I took a mental note of my condition: feet are good; hands are good now; body is warm; neck is warm; face is cold but bearable; arms and shoulders are cold and my knees/legs are chilled. If you've ever ridden the Adirondacks there are only a few roads. Once you make the decision to take a route, you are committed and must continue. At about 3:15 I came to the intersection of Rt 10. Rt 10 is a 23 mile long series of curves winding along a small river valley occasionally accending and decending the mountains. This road I've ridden many times, both in a cage and on a beemer.

When I was 20 yrs. old, I had a '66 Mercedes 190 and my best friend had a '72 Chevelle SS, with a 350 w/ Holly four barrell, 4 speed w' Micket Thompson tires. I had my Mercedes 190 with 4 cylinder/4 speed on the tree. We would race this road many times and if I was the leader going in I could lead him through the curves and actually pull away until he found a straight-away. Then he be right back on my ass end until the next set of curves. He cound not get by me, but if he was leading it was only a matter of a few miles and he was out of my sight... all that power.

Anyway, at about the 15 mile point I was looking to pull over to take a leak and maybe walk my body parts around for a few minutes and pulled into a parking area. (one of the many along Rt 10 for trailhead parking) I disconnected my vest and after relieving myself, jogged back and forth across the parking lot 5 or 6 times. I decided I was warmer on the RT plugged in. I fired the RT back up and continued on Rt 10 toward Pine Lake. All the lakes and ponds were still frozen but the streams and rivers were open. When I reached Pine Lake I headed South on Rt 29 and after a few miles began to climb back down out of the mountains. Rt 29 is also an excellent riding road with a fair share of curves that perfectly banked. I continued on past Pleasant Lake and into the village of Stratford, (population,200) where I again crossed the West Canada Creek only this time it's the East branch. It's getting warmer, maybe back up to mid to upper 30's and when I get to Middleville I decide to stop for a coffee at gas station/food mart called Stewarts. I enjoy the cup of coffee and hold it between my palms in between sips.

Now it's time to head out... I meeting my family in Ilion at my mothers for supper. I'm about a half hour away I figure. I arrive at my moms at 4:40PM and checked the odometer, 144.6 miles (about 54.2 avg. mph). I'd love to turn around and go back home the opposite way but will do that another warmer day. Any one want to ride the Adirondacks this summer... let me know. I'd love to show you around.

Rob Bishton

Black 2000 RT

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still"

Brought back memories of my ride across the Adirondacks in October. Blowing snow and sleet from SR 5 all the way to Lake Placid.

I figured by now, y'all would be getting a break up there from the weather. DIdn't y'all have a warm winter up there?

Enjoyed the story.

I did the same thing. Woke up early, 24 degrees, geared up with full Gerbings. Took 97 from Port Jervis all the way to Hancock, which is about 38 miles from Binghamton. Sun, clouds, and some lake effect flurries.

I love riding in this weather. No bugs, no tourists, just you and the road.

In the afternoon, I started my son out with his first motorcycle. He was grinning ear to ear!

39368-107-0797_IMG.jpg

39368-107-0797_IMG.jpg.78efcbee470cd0a2bc03d908e712dde5.jpg

Art - where is that picture along the river. How old is your son? My kids each have a small dirt bike as well. My son was 6 when i got him his XR50 and I got my daughter an XR70 last year at 10. They both love them. My daughter also rides and shows horses statewide. She may enjoy the XR as much... maybe more. Let me when you might want to ride together.

Rob

Hey Rob:

The road is Rt 97, just north of Pert Jervis. Port Jervis is a little town where NJ, NY, and PA come together.

The road gets better from there, meadnering along the river, just a nice 55 mph cruise.

I did about 200 miles.

My son is 5. He's still working on balance. My wife rides an XR100. Daughter is 2, rides in front of daddy on the XR, very slowly.

I ride the 'dacks and VT all the time. Mostly eastern, family has a house on LG.

Would be great to put a ride together. Probably some other listers would like to go too.

Art, You smooth talker. I have yellow trip lines that go right by that route. I just made an adjustment as I head toward Madawaska, ME.

Thanks

Hey Oldrider, are you doing a 4 corners?

If you're headed this way, I've got a few roads I can recommend.

When are you coming?

When you visit this area, make sure you take a moment to visit the Roebling bridge.

delbrdg.gif

www.uh.edu/engines/epi316.htm

It is the oldest wire rope bridge still in existence, designed by John Roebling, famous bridge designer who is known for the Brooklyn Bridge, among many others.

I visited there last fall, and climbed down to examine the engineering. It is really quite remarkable, the stonework that was all done by hand, the support trusses, the piers.

Neat stuff.

Great write-up Rob. I was up there a few weekends ago, and it was cold. Seems like the NE got a delayed winter, eh?

I've ridden in 25-degree weather often, but for some reason I just couldn't get myself out on the bike this weekend.

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black Boxer RT for Everywhere Else, such as...color=green>

greenani4.gif

Art

Yes, I will be on the 4 corners trip. I am leaving the First Corner, Blaine, Wa. On the 19th. See my Hospitality request and trip schedule over on riding together

What is the rad number that the Bridge is located

Later

Archived