IGNORED

Higher than normal revs when accelerating

daveyboy27uk

daveyboy27uk

I have started to find that when I accelerate hard on my 1100RT the revs increase quicker than the speed, it almost feels like clutch slip but I'm pretty sure the clutch is fine. Could this be something to do with the shaft drive failing to pick up in time?

No_Twilight
I have started to find that when I accelerate hard on my 1100RT the revs increase quicker than the speed, it almost feels like clutch slip but I'm pretty sure the clutch is fine. Could this be something to do with the shaft drive failing to pick up in time?

Don't think so. What makes you think the clutch is fine? --Jerry

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Try this. Go out on the highway and while you're in fifth gear going up a slight incline whack the throttle wide open. If you're engine revs but your speed doesn't, you've got clutch issues.

Do you smell anything? How easy is it to downshift?

daveyboy27uk

No smell coming from clutch but I'll run it down to the local BMW dealers and get them to check it out, would it show up if I had the bike dyno'd? Dave

Before you do that, check the freeplay at the clutch lever.

At the clutch wears, it takes up the slack in the cable. You need to adjust the cable to compensate for this wear.

There should be 7mm freeplay at the lever. This means that the cable should travel 7 mm before you feel resistance. Measure this distance at the base of the lever, from the lever to the perch (clutch lever mount). To add freeplay, back off the knurled locknut and turn the larger adjusting ring in (clockwise), then retighten the knurled lock nut when you are done.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Archived