IGNORED

Tire valve stems

gnuse

After reading at some posts on this site concerning valve stems, I have decided to install some of the very nice alloy 90º valve stems which I see installed on MV Agusta and Ducati motorcycles..... that is if I can ever figure out which tires to install for riding in the North Georgia mountains. The valves are very light and are easy to access for checking and adding air.

My question is, does anyone know the size of the valve stem hole in the alloy R1150RT rims?

Thanks.

After reading at some posts on this site concerning valve stems, I have decided to install some of the very nice alloy 90º valve stems which I see installed on MV Agusta and Ducati motorcycles..... that is if I can ever figure out which tires to install for riding in the North Georgia mountains. The valves are very light and are easy to access for checking and adding air.

My question is, does anyone know the size of the valve stem hole in the alloy R1150RT rims?

Thanks.

Generally, valve sizes are the same for all motorcycles. I use TR412E (short stem) valves for 0.453" rim holes.

And go with Michelin Pilot Road tires. Great dry performance, awesome wet performance!

The valve stem hole is 11.3 mm if memory serves me. Same as the Japanese bikes. The Italian wheels have a much larger valve stem hole.

MOTOWHEELS has billet aluminum racing valve stems that fit your bike. The link will take you to them. I have the 90 on the front and it works perfect. A 90 on the rear will not work due to the width of the rim, making the air chuck scratch the wheel. There are cheap 90 that bolt on and have a long stem, but I just didn't think airing the rear was an issue, plenty of clearnce already. The straight stem just works, why change it.

As for tires, there are as many opinions as members to this group. Get any of the top name brand tires that you can find on sale and you willl do good. This is my opinion and others will disagree with it too. grin.gif

Hope this helps.

No_Twilight

And here is another thread:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/630081/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

About halfway thru you'll see an attachment of a photo of the less expensive but heavily made brass ones I bought on ebay. I've now got over 1000 miles on them and I monitor pressure real time with a smartire system. Many excurions into triple digits w/o a hint of even a leak.

For the rear wheel you may have to machine/file a flat spot on the rim. You can see a photo of what I did to my rear wheel here:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2771&page=2&pp=10&highlight=valve+stems

Cheers,

Jerry

No_Twilight

Now you tell me!!!!

These look like the ones I bought on ebay (they have 90 deg and 45 deg) and unless shipping is very high, the price is better. Thanks for the link. --Jerry

Jerry,

Their shipping charges suck. smile.gif I only use PatchBoy when I need a bunch of stuff. Your contact in HI only charged $6 to ship where these folks get almost $10. Works out to about the same as you paid.

Mick

Archived