IGNORED

One Handed Ear Protection?

Sp8er8er

After a less than successful shoulder surgery I can no longer reach behind my head with my right arm. This makes installing ear plugs a real PITA.

Are there products I'm unaware of that don't require both hands to properly install?

thanks-

C-dad

There is a product called Nonoise that is made For Motorsports. Just wet them and insert in your ear. I bought mine on Amazon . They work real good.

GT

I've used various brands of foam plugs. The instructions always say to pull on the ear with your opposite hand during insertion. I just roll them tight between my fingers and stick them in one-handed. I cannot detect any difference.

Maybe different ear canals produce different results?

Not meaning to be wiseash, I have a really messed up shoulder also, can you turn your head so your ear is in the front middle?

Don't know of a one hand solution.

There is a product called Nonoise that is made For Motorsports. Just wet them and insert in your ear. I bought mine on Amazon . They work real good.

GT

+1

One thing about all out of the box earplugs is that they need rolled up or made wet to insert easily. If not inserted properly, they don't work well.

I have a set of the "fit ear" brand custom fitted ear plugs. These are sort of a hard plastic/silicone or something like that. In other words they hold their shape and don't require squishing or wetting. You actually kind of screw them into place, a 180 or at least 90 degree twist as you put them in locates them perfectly. I use one hand to put these in, I think they would work in this case quite well.

Thought I'd weigh in here, for what it's worth. Some hardware stores or specialty shops that deal with work place safety equipment carry ear plugs that are connected to each other by a band that fits under your chin. Kind of like a stethoscope but with ear plugs. Don't know how that would feel under a helmet but one hand can install and remove them. Hope it helps. Jb

I like Howard Leight corded Matrix (disposables). They don't need to be rolled prior to insertion.

Although the manufacturer recommends the "hand around head and pull ear back" method, I rarely do that, and they work well for me. If you call the manufacturer, they might send you a few free samples.

I will also recommend the NoNoise that GT had suggested earlier on. It works really well, but more important for this situation is that it has a rigid stem, and you can insert the plug easily with one hand if you moisten the flanges first, and then push the plug into place.

I've had those Nonoise. Lost one the first time I took my helmet off.

I use silicon mouldable plugs.

Roll them in your hand to warm and soften, roll to a point, push in your ear and mould.

Cheap and reusable. 10 pairs for £2/$3.

Pete

Thanks for all the replies.

Got out for a ride today.

Tallman it just won't insert properly- angle of attack I guess. Right ear is a snap. Left- nada, no go.

So today I found some 3M corded plugs I tried. They are a lot like the No Noise in shape and they have a 'handle'. Inserted ok but when I put my helmet on it pressed against them. Not comfortable.

I'm going to get some Ohropax:

http://www.ohropax.de/en/products/classic.html

and a pair or Radians.

I prefer the NoNoise brand of hearing protex and I've tried quite a few.

The reason that it's recommended to pull on the ear with the "other" hand is to straighten out the ear canal, which on most people takes a slight turn just inside the opening. Straightening it out allows for the deeper insertion of the plug.

If you're going to use foamie plugs, here's a video that shows how to insert them. Few people do it properly and if you don't do it properly they won't provide the maximum protection that they're capable of. They must be rolled up smoothly, so there are no creases in the plug.

I would think a pre-molded ear plug would work.It is molded to fit your ear to fit, no fighting to make it fit.

Just insert and a slight twist. Very quick and easy. Mine gives me all day comfort. Fits under a tight Arai helmet.

Bigearinc.com

More expensive yes but the best thing is they last a long time, I have had mine since 2005! Usually at motorcycle and gun shows but they have many local reps to do them for you.

Archived