IGNORED

Factory Update

Rob L

I received a card from BMW of Ft. Myers saying that my bike might be eligible for a factory software update. My bike was apparently originally purchased at Ft. Myers. I purchased it from Grand Rapids as a buy back from the rear shock replacement campaign. I entered my VIN in the website that they listed and it shows no updates are due. Anyone know what problem the update is attempting to solve?

I will add something to this story. We have 3 BMW dealers in Houston. I bought mine from Gulf Coast BMW. One of the other BMW dealers sent me a card in the mail last week, probably like the one you have, stating that my BMW may be involved in a recall also. Told you where to go to check. Mine didn't show anything. Must be some marketing BS as I have never bought from this dealer. There should be no way of them knowing I have a new BMW. It might be possible that this is a campaign from BMW to send out notices to BMW's registered in a certain area. That dealer is probably closest to me.

Not sure exactly what web site you were using. I've seen sites that can check for recalls, provide details on the bike specs as it came from the factory, and (for a fee) ownership/accident history. I've not seen any available to the consumer that list warranty extensions or service campaigns, which the dealership would be aware of and usually only come into play if you have a specific problem or have the bike in for service anyway. I suspect that Ft. Myers BMW is either providing excellent service and/or just wants the bike in their shop so they can up-sell other services. There is at least one update available that affects the shift-assist, some riders see an improvement afterward, some do not. Your local dealer can provide details on available updates and any possible costs.

The website listed is www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall Then you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN.

That is the site the Post Card I got in the mail directed me to. Mine didn't acknowledge my VIN, which I assume to mean would indicate there are no outstanding recalls. Mine does not have the shift assist package.

I found it odd that I would get what looked like an official BMW Motorrad notification about my new bike......from a dealer that I have never bought a bike from!

I got the same card last week. It wasn't from my selling dealer also, thought that was strange so I tossed it.

As you touched on, my bike may have been traded between dealers.

Pat

I got the same card last week. It wasn't from my selling dealer also, thought that was strange so I tossed it.

Pat

Pat, by chance was the dealer your card came from physically closer?

The website listed is www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall Then you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN.

That is the site the Post Card I got in the mail directed me to. Mine didn't acknowledge my VIN, which I assume to mean would indicate there are no outstanding recalls. Mine does not have the shift assist package.

I found it odd that I would get what looked like an official BMW Motorrad notification about my new bike......from a dealer that I have never bought a bike from!

Terry, I'd check with my dealer, strange your bike isn't in the system. I had the recall done this past Tuesday but I ran my vin anyway it came back with my bike showing no recalls. I haven't received a card.

Jay

Pat

Pat, by chance was the dealer your card came from physically closer?

Gonna sound a bit funny but I half a.... looked at it and tossed it. I usually don't do that but figured I'd be talking to my dealer soon enough. I think It was from Wagner BMW which is in Massachusetts while my shop is in NH. Don't know, maybe it's a state thing?

Pat

I think It was from Wagner BMW which is in Massachusetts while my shop is in NH. Don't know, maybe it's a state thing?

Pat

Sounding more like prospecting/customer contact for BMW. Ford used to give out customer names to dealers that were "orphaned". Either by the dealer closing, or showing up in Fords system a long way from the selling dealer. You were supposed to prospect these names for business, otherwise known as telemarketing. I don't mind getting information in the mail, but I think very little of getting something from BMW pointing me to a dealer that I not only didn't buy from but was treated VERY POORLY at when I was attempting to buy one. Top that with this: how would you feel if you owned Gulf Coast BMW and your manufacturer was sending out mail directing your customer to ANOTHER dealer?

So here is the contrarian view.

There are “Recalls”, and then there are “Service Campaigns”. Recalls are related to safety or emissions issues and must be made public and every owner must be contacted in a systematic way. Service Campaigns on the other hand can concern defects that do not have a direct impact on safety or emissions. Perhaps the bike just dies somewhere leaving you stranded. Service Campaigns are sometimes called the secret warranty. Neither the manufacture nor the dealer is under any obligation to publicize a service campaign and there is no requirement to notify the owner. Typically the owner finds out about a service campaign when the vehicle is serviced at the dealer. My bike has been the subject of one Recall (rear shock) and two Service Campaigns (software and right switchgear). I became aware of these at a regular service and to this day they do not show up on any site I have searched.

Although the dealer might be described as opportunistic it may be legitimate.

Mine came from my local(selling)dealer.

It is just an update for shifting,it is more effective for those bikes with shift assist,but provides a little smoother shifting for non shift assist.

According to Service Manager,BMW is pushing dealers a bit to get these updates and recalls done in a more timely manner and BMW are scrutinizing them more closely for this.

I had them check a few additional things while hooked to the computer,but could not talk them in to resetting service reminder.

JR356

14 GSA

I ran my VIN and it simply does not come up. So, I assume it is not in the pool of VIN's that need an update. Bought new in September 2014 and has not been updated since then. No shift assist package. I don't know how a software update would help shifting in a non shift assist bike, but maybe I will drop by the dealer for an eyeball meeting.

Did you enter the entire VIN, or just last seven digits? Someone (somewhere) has said that his only worked when he entered the last seven.

Did you enter the entire VIN, or just last seven digits? Someone (somewhere) has said that his only worked when he entered the last seven.

Well, that is interesting! The site linked to here on the first page ( same on in post card ) says " please enter either the full 17 or last 7 characters of your BMW's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)". So, I put in my 17 characters. Twice. Nothing. Just put in my last 7 characters and it shows my bike! Results were "no open safety recalls". So, either there are just no "safety" recalls or there are also no customer satisfaction recalls? No worries, I like it just fine like it is. But a bit strange that it seems to not work correctly. I wonder how many owners put in all 17 characters, thinking like me that it should be the best way?

Terry, I'd check with my dealer, strange your bike isn't in the system. I had the recall done this past Tuesday but I ran my vin anyway it came back with my bike showing no recalls. I haven't received a card.

Jay

I got my card today, it came from the dealer I purchased the bike from. As said above the work has been completed.

The card say's to enter the last 7 characters of your Vin only.

Jay

Just checked....There are no open safety recalls for your vehicle Year: 2014

Make and Model: BMW R 1200 RT US

Thanks for posting though. I have had some in the past I wasn't notified on.

I had tried my 17 digit code, didn't work. Did the last 7, it worked, but said I have no outstanding issues.

Then I come home yesterday, I got a card from my dealer saying there is a software update.

Oh well, I was planning on getting new tires this summer anyway. I'll have them update it then. Dealer is 300 miles away, otherwise I'd do it sooner.

I bought my '14 from a private owner in Philly who bought it from Daytona BMW. My postcard was from the dealer in Columbus. I am in Cincinnati. Likely these are taken from registrations and an attempt to get you into the dealer.

Has anyone taken their bike in for just the software update? Was there a charge for this or an attempt to sell you additional "service"?

No charge for update.

No sales pitch for anything else.

Suprisingly escaped without buying farkles too.Was tempted though,as they had Clearwater lights on sale.

JR356

My riding buddy and I both took our 14 RTw motos in today for 6k service. His at just under 6k total and mine at 7200 (last serviced prox 1.1k). Both were tagged as needing the "Recall: Software update, shifting comfort" and subsequently received that. Resolution notation: "Updated DME software". Mine felt great riding the 80+ miles down for service and same riding home. Unsure that I noticed a difference but my buddy thought the gearbox "anticipated" his shifting a bit smoother.

Archived