IGNORED

SLR and Video Cam under $500?

EffBee

We're going to be launching a new product line that is going to require a YouTube channel with "How To Install" videos. That means I've got to shoot them in my garage. I need a good video camera. I've got a Nikon Coolpix P510, but I'm not totally pleased with the quality of the video (camera will be on a tripod). So, with about $500 to spend, is there an SLR that could replace the Nikon and give me good video quality in medium indoor light, as well as work well as a camera, or should I just invest in a dedicated video camera and be done with it?

Suggestions either way are welcome.

How many videos/how frequently will you need to reshoot/add new ones? Got to think a nearby board member would have a rig you could use if you didn't want to spend the cash just now...

I'd help you out if you were up here.

I'll probably end up with a 12 - 18 videos over the next 2 years. Product installation on each bike, while basically similar, is different enough for each motorcycle model to warrant its own set of instructions.

Noting the lack of response here, and not having any real specific advice for you - I would suspect that dang near anything these days will give you a video quality that would suit your needs. Hell, my phone takes pretty nice video! Go down to your local pro photography shop, state your budget, and ask your questions. You'll go home happy.

DaveTheAffable

I responded with a self serving post of my own...lol.

I'm pretty close to you Effbee... and I'd be happy to help, or just consult.

I think If you NEED an SLR for other reasons, one that has great video in your price range is reachable. But iPhone, GoPro (which I have and you can use as much as you like) can give you amazing results.

I was just watching NBC'S dateline. At one point they rode around in the car. You could see several go-pros attached to the windshield. I got a 40" smart tv. All those go-pro clips looked as sharp as the rest of the program! Good enough for network t.v., I guess.

Yep - local news has shot a couple of spots in my car here, and they do the same. Comes out looking pretty good, though there is some barrel distortion (I think you can edit that out if you're not looking for the super wide angle/close up stuff though).

If you are still thinking about an SLR the Canon Rebel line should be pretty good in that price range. But with good light phones can take amazing close-up videos.

Archived