IGNORED

Need suggestions for K75 fuel problem

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Well, a month and $800 later and still no joy. Had an ex-BMW dealer/tech work on the bike. When I went to pick it up, it wouldn't start. He replaced the plugs and it fired. I rode it a few blocks and brought it home where it refuses to start. Same problem I had when I took it down to him.

So, the POS becomes a bottomless hole into which much money is thrown. Likely, it will be left for the junk man next week. I've almost had it! Nothing is worth this kind of aggravation when there are so many nice things in the world that actually are worth the time and effort.

Before I shoot this horse, does anyone with knowledge of the K fuel system have a suggestion why the plugs would instantly foul? It will start with brand, spanking new plugs, but if it fails to start on the first crank, they foul and will not ignite. When pulled they are soot covered and wet.

TIA

I recall you exploits on this bike from another site. MOA Forums? While the K75 is notorious for fouling spark plugs, this case is extreme. I wonder if the injectors are leaking by. You can pull the fuel rail with the injectors, put them in jars or containers, turn the ignition on so the fuel pump pressurizes and see if any or all leak. If you have some that leak, take them to a shop that services fuel injectors. I had mine cleaned for about $10 each, a few years ago.

Check the TPS, throttle position sensor, to see it is set properly, I think that can cause a rich condition if it is off. There is alot of info here: http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Paul Mihalka

How cold is it where and when you try to start it? K75 are notorious to flood at a cold environment (under 40f). Try the following: Ignition on - with right hand full open throttle - with left hand push and hold starter button, while cranking SLOWLY return throttle toward idle. If at one point it starts firing even if it is missing, hold the throttle there until it clears up. You need a good fully charged battery for this. I've done this many times, on my bike and customer's bikes.

John Ranalletta
How cold is it where and when you try to start it?
Very...Same as outside temp - under 40. I'll throw in a new set of plugs, warm (or burn) it up with the propane heater and try again. Yesteday, when it started, it had been stored in the tech's heated garage.

Thanks, Paul.

Paul Mihalka
Yesteday, when it started, it had been stored in the tech's heated garage.
I think that is the key. When I had my K75 bikes (over 300K miles on two bikes) under 40f I always started it at at least half throttle.

Just anekdote: 1986, lived in Miami. Rode my K75 to BMW service schooling to Atlanta, in January. First morning, frost on the bike (novelty after Miami). Bike does not start. Ground floor motel room with wide door. Bike into room. Took out the sparkplugs, pressed them into the plug caps and let them lie on the valve cover in front of the plug holes. Cranked the engine. Got a nice one yard long flame out of each cylinder. Plugs installed. Started in motel room. Run fine after that. Lesson learned: If it's cold, open the throttle smirk.gif

Yesteday, when it started, it had been stored in the tech's heated garage.
I think that is the key. When I had my K75 bikes (over 300K miles on two bikes) under 40f I always started it at at least half throttle.

Just anekdote: 1986, lived in Miami. Rode my K75 to BMW service schooling to Atlanta, in January. First morning, frost on the bike (novelty after Miami). Bike does not start. Ground floor motel room with wide door. Bike into room. Took out the sparkplugs, pressed them into the plug caps and let them lie on the valve cover in front of the plug holes. Cranked the engine. Got a nice one yard long flame out of each cylinder. Plugs installed. Started in motel room. Run fine after that. Lesson learned: If it's cold, open the throttle smirk.gif

Alternative lesson learned - If its cold, rent a motel room grin.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

My 91 K100RS wierded out on me in a similar way. Tach quit working and it'd run rough or not at all - no fuel.

Turns out it was one of the connections. I undid each connector (Motronic, etc.), sprayed them with electronic connection cleaner, reconnected them and never had the problem again.

Hope yours is that simple, but sorry you spent all that money.

Your post doesn't say where you live. If you're at high altitude (4000 ft or above) You may have that problem also.

The K75 has analog fuel injection (No Oxygen Sensor)so it runs the same fuel mapping program regardless of the oxygen content of the air/fuel mixture. If you're at high altitude and not running the with the altitude plug in the fuel injection wiring harness you will certainly run rich.

Oh yeah, clean plugs were a big factor in all that too, as the wire issue caused mixture issues which fouled the plugs too.

Archived