IGNORED

Splatter of oil on top of Exhaust???

Bigfish

2004 r1150RT 104,000 miles.

Took off the left (port) side case and noticed some fresh looking oil on top of my Remus Exhaust. Could this be the first sign of my Clutch Master Cylinder going bad? or is it called a slave cylinder. Or could it just be blow out from the air filter. Looking for input before I get home to explore this situation more.

Afternoon Bigfish

That oil could be from about anywhere, from the oil sight glass leaking, to the oil filler cap leaking, to the L/H side rear cam hole cover leaking, to an engine rear main seal leaking, to an air box full of oil that is leaking, to a valve cover that is leaking, to an oil filter that is leaking, to ?????????????

About all you can do is drain the air box (drain valve on the L/H lower rear corner of air box) then track the oil leak back to it's origin point.

10-4 ]

Would the colder weather cause more oil to overflow via airbox?

Evening Bigfish

Difficult to say. When very cold the engine operates at greater clearances for a longer time but that is off-set by the engine oil staying thicker longer.

In the old 1100/1150 days I would see an occasional oil sight window (sight glass) leak or even pop out in very cold weather from the owner allowing the engine to fast idle for long periods to warm it up before riding.

Or even worse, start the engine, then go back inside the house & get distracted & allow the engine to fast idle for a very long time. Then on ride-away the oil sight window would pop out.

I'll inspect that sight glass closely tonight. I do have a replacement in my tank bag already. Maybe it has finally started to fail. Thanks again DR.

About all you can do is drain the air box (drain valve on the L/H lower rear corner of air box) then track the oil leak back to it's origin point.

Pic showing amount of oil that came out of airbox drain. Pretty sure this was the culprit. Will wipe everything down and see if oil reappears on the exhaust. Thanks!

8w0hmu.jpg

Archived