IGNORED

Motorcycle Consumer News

Doug_Baliko

I have been a subscriber to MCN for many years and have always found it a useful and entertaining motorcycle magazine. The lack of ads is refreshing and the content never seemed to have a bias towards advertisers that other mags usually have. In the latest issue I see that the editor and medical writer have both "left" MCN. I also noticed that the last issue is a bit light on pages vs. earlier issues. Is this the beginning of the end for them!

Not to put him on the spot but maybe as a contributor Moshe can give us a little insight into what's going on! Thanks.

Doug

I have no "inside info" other than that Dave Searle decided to retire after doing this job for a long, long time. Page count in the last issue was the same as always, if I recall correctly. I've been writing for Dave since I started writing for MCN about 10-11 years ago, though I never met him in person. I've been in touch with the new fill-in editor, and submitted some new pieces. Everything so far is running the same way on my end. Let's hope for the best.

-MKL

I have been a subscriber to MCN for many years and have always found it a useful and entertaining motorcycle magazine. The lack of ads is refreshing and the content never seemed to have a bias towards advertisers that other mags usually have. In the latest issue I see that the editor and medical writer have both "left" MCN. I also noticed that the last issue is a bit light on pages vs. earlier issues. Is this the beginning of the end for them!

Not to put him on the spot but maybe as a contributor Moshe can give us a little insight into what's going on! Thanks.

Afternoon Doug

Something might be up with MCN as they were offering a deep discount on subscriptions (something like $5.00 per year subscription) around X-Mas time.

Ahh, I didn't look closely. Guess the page count did go down. Not sure if that's a new policy or what. Nobody told me anything. I'm just a lowly contributor! I was concerned about that "deep discount" Dirtrider mentioned too. Lots of people were happy in discussing that discount in online forums. Lots of sentiment about what a great magazine it is, and how objective the content is. Not one post about what potential subscribers might be trading in for that exponentially lower price. Ahhhhh, well. I guess that's how things are these days. People really think they can get something for nothing.

-MKL

When I was young I had numerous magazine subscriptions. Gladly paid the price. I even liked the advertisements, that was how you found out about new go-fast goodies and gear. Bike and car.

The Internet has changed all that. Publishers have lost the ability to capture a subscriber. Now the only income is from advertisers. That isn't as substantial as it was. These advertisers have to spread out their advertising dollars among many online sites. Plus they can build their own website and get traffic that way. Copyright and Trademark infringement is a joke now.

But, I have a LOT more information available to me now than ever. But I still love to flip through a magazine. Internet sites just don't work like a magazine with real pages.

I may be ignorant, I don't understand why a password protected website with GOOD content couldn't charge a subscription and do well. With no "print" to mail, they could charge a very small amount and still have more operating capitol than before? But, if it were that simple.........

I think publishing in general (on this subject) is a labor of love. I slave over my articles, and usually it's for little or no pay. In fact, it's less than minimum wage, if I get paid for it at all. It's a labor of love. It's a passion that has to "come out" or else it would make me explode from within. I have an innate need to tell people what I think of motorcycle accessories. I should seek treatment.

-MKL

I should seek treatment.

Yes, Moshe. You seriously need professional help. All kidding aside. I've enjoyed your articles. Hope you keep it up.

Trying.... Just finishing up a nice, long review of the Motoport Marathon for BMW ON.

-MKL

Looking forward to the review! Thanks.

:thumbsup:

I too was worried when I read my latest issue. Especially when Mr. Searle retired and did not name a successor. Seemed very odd that you would pour so much of yourself into the publication and not take measures to ensure it's future. Then i realized that the month before, Dave had said thanks and goodbye to the associate editor. I sent off an email to MCn and received a reply from Cameron Triebwasser, associate VP of marketing at I5 publishing. He assured me that MCN was alive and well and that they were searching for an editorial staff. Just seems odd that Dave Searle left the way he did. Long live MCN. g

The magazine has taken a serious hit but not as bad at their web site forums. It has been down for the last two days.

I Googled "motorcycle consumer news" and this website came up. As I've got a BMW I figured I should join up.

I'm wondering if I know you, Sonor, from MCN. I was Bwana over there but someone's beat me to it on that name. DogDoc was taken too. Sooo, in here I'm UTCVMgrad because it's true!

Anyway, didn't see an introductions thread so hi to all and ride safe.

BWANA - Welcome - great to have you here. Yes, I was Drummer, or Zman on MCNews. I am thrilled you joined here, your humor and insights are a great addition.

Drummer?? Cool! I was hoping Sonor was a reference to the hallowed German brand. Nicko McBrain is back to Sonor after all those years away!

-MKL

Moshe - thank you for the smile to my face. Sonor was the best without a doubt but I heard that they were purchased by AMF, the same company that made such a mess out of Harley Davidson. Still, I am one of the very fortunate people to have a signature series set from them. And what a set ... It is amazing.

Bwana - I sent you a PM and you are correct. The people on the ill-fated MCNews site were a great bunch. I hope we can somehow get back up with most.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my March edition, and it's another disappointment. Like the Feb edition, only 32 pages -- 1/3 less than previously. More troubling than that, the cover photo of a French Praem does not appear inside as a full assessment of that bike, but only a short feature with not much more than news release facts. And unless I am missing something, the Indian Scout 60 cover from the Feb edition is nowhere to be seen inside -- although the back page of March indicates that it will be in a comparison next month. For me, an almost 20 year subscriber, the main attraction of MCN is the motorcycle reviews and comparisons. Now, we only get one every three months? I don't like what I see happening.

Doug

I sent an email to MCN a couple of days ago expressing my opinion on the March issue. The reply reads like a form letter, making me think MCN has received more than a few emails from their subscribers on things lacking in recent issues. Here's the email, along with MCN's reply:

------------------------------------------------------------

From: rtrider@roadrunner.com [mailto:rtrider@roadrunner.com]

Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:08 PM

To: editor@mcnews.com

Subject: March 2016 Issue - Stray Data Point?

I have been a long time subscriber to MCN and have enjoyed each and every issue with one exception. Hopefully, the March 2016 publication is a stray data point. A skimpy issue with the cover featuring the launch of the Praem SP3. How exciting (really?).

Too, motorcycle evaluations are a fundamental staple of MCN content. Many new motorcycle models/updates were introduced for 2016 and not one single evaluation in the March issue, when typically there are several. This issue was a huge disappointment and unworthy of the subscription price.

Don Miller

-----------------------------------------------------------

RE: March 2016 Issue - Stray Data Point?

Russ Case

Sent: Thu 2/25/2016 1:54 PM

To: rtrider@roadrunner.com

MCN is progressing through a transitional phase in the wake of former Editor Dave Searle’s recent retirement. We appreciate your patience at this time, and please rest assured that the goal is to once again deliver everything you have come to expect from MCN.

To that end, we hope you’ll enjoy the three-bike comparison article that will be featured in the April issue. It features the Indian Scout Sixty that was originally scheduled to appear in the February issue, along with the Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 and the Yamaha Bolt C-Spec.

Again, thank you for your patience at this time, and for subscribing to MCN.

--------------------------------------------------------------

There has to be an interesting back-story as to the anything but smooth transition from a retiring editor to his successor. In the above reference to "Dave Searle's recent retirement", recent issues suggest it was more like 'Dave Searle's recent, sudden and unanticipated retirement'.

DM

Gents,

Be patient. I don't know more than you do, but it pains me to read forums where on one hand people applaud the subscription price falling through the floor, and on the other everybody's screaming about content dwindling.

When the subscription prices of garden variety magazines hover around $10 a year and nobody bats an eye, a small lecture is in order.

Do you have any idea what goes into producing a magazine - even a small article, for virtually no pay? It's less than minimum wage. It's slave labor. It's a labor of love. Every article I write COSTS me money, because I pour over it for hours (more hours than my "real job," because I have passion for my articles.) Same can be said (and more) as you climb up the chain from mere contributor to editor.

Guys like Dave, who are under enormous pressure to produce as the money is quickly squeezed from publication because everyone thinks everyone besides themselves should work for free, are not found on every street corner. He was an old-school professional, and the ship needs a new captain now, which is not easy to find.

They're transitioning. I wish them luck. It's a hard job, and you're not going to be the next Bill Gates doing it. Let's give 'em a break, and support them to get back on their feet.

-MKL

Gents,

Be patient. I don't know more than you do, but it pains me to read forums where on one hand people applaud the subscription price falling through the floor, and on the other everybody's screaming about content dwindling.

When the subscription prices of garden variety magazines hover around $10 a year and nobody bats an eye, a small lecture is in order.

Do you have any idea what goes into producing a magazine - even a small article, for virtually no pay? It's less than minimum wage. It's slave labor. It's a labor of love. Every article I write COSTS me money, because I pour over it for hours (more hours than my "real job," because I have passion for my articles.) Same can be said (and more) as you climb up the chain from mere contributor to editor.

Guys like Dave, who are under enormous pressure to produce as the money is quickly squeezed from publication because everyone thinks everyone besides themselves should work for free, are not found on every street corner. He was an old-school professional, and the ship needs a new captain now, which is not easy to find.

They're transitioning. I wish them luck. It's a hard job, and you're not going to be the next Bill Gates doing it. Let's give 'em a break, and support them to get back on their feet.

-MKL

THANK YOU!

Former subscriber for years, haven't seen one in a while.

Change happens.

Give it a chance.

Big shoes to fill.

True. Although I started subscribing when Fred Rau was the editor, really liked Fred, without doubt a great guy. I tried to like Dave when he came onboard but after a year or so quit reading his column. Then after he threw a couple small players (motorcycle manufacturers) under the bus for really trivial stuff I quit reading any of his tests (the kind of things that would keep an uninformed person from considering the brand). Surprised he lasted as long as he did. A shame too because I liked most of the other writers, let it lapse 7 or 8 years ago.

Gents,

-MKL

Good perspective Moshe.

Just got the April issue and it's also down to 32 pages from the usual 48.

I get all my mags electronically now, nice to get them and store on my iPad. I'm n Malta for the winter, and my mags just keep rolling in. Sure better than the old days of going home to a stack of magazines.

Archived