IGNORED

R12GS to the RT-LC ?

bobbybob

Who has done this? I had a 2007 RT, loved the touring capability but the handling in twisties was a little ponderous. Then switched to a 2010 R12GS, and again last spring to a 2015 R12GS. NOW---I am kinda missing the weather protection and more relaxed feel at the end of a long day, due to not being beat up as much by the wind. I know the new RT's handle MUCH better/nimbler than the older ones, and of course have the dynamic suspension/etc. But I wonder how much I would miss that plusher ride due to the GS's longer-travel suspension...? And of course the more cramped leg position. I plan to take an RT demo ride when the weather gets a little better here, but wondering if anyone can report on their experience moving from the GS back to the RT-LC?

If I was riding pavement only I'd take the RT. The new one will smash to pieces any and all fond memories you may have of your 07. :grin:

The GS / RT comparison. The GS feels wonky for the first ten minutes after riding the RT, then it becomes normal again. I have Heidenau K60s on the GS and suspect that they may add to some of the wonky-ness :grin: I describe.

My "happy place" when traveling the last few years has been to find gravel roads that have very few people on them. So, I guess an Adv bike will be in my stable for a while.

Pat

Thanks. I do ride a lot of rough pavement in the mountains and some of the other guys I ride with complain about this---while I am cruising smoothly along on my 7-8" of shock travel on the GS. :grin: So I wonder if I'll be in for a harsh ride....

I went the other way, 14 RT to 15 GSA and weather protection is the only thing I miss. Had to buy heated gear this winter and previously rode down into the thirties without it. More range, great versatility came at a price but very worthwhile for me. Among other things I'm riding to Alaska this summer, doubt I'd do it on a RT because I'm anal about rock chips and the inevitable fall if you take a RT on really rough roads and trails. Wash the GSA seldomly and 'character marks' are no problem. A scuff mark on one of my old RT panniers drove me crazy.

I went the other way, 14 RT to 15 GSA and weather protection is the only thing I miss. Had to buy heated gear this winter and previously rode down into the thirties without it. More range, great versatility came at a price but very worthwhile for me. Among other things I'm riding to Alaska this summer, doubt I'd do it on a RT because I'm anal about rock chips and the inevitable fall if you take a RT on really rough roads and trails. Wash the GSA

seldomly and 'character marks' are no problem. A scuff mark on one of my old RT panniers drove me crazy.

Same here, 15 RT to 16 GSA. Still new (2 days) and blizzard warnings for tonight, so looks like my riding season is pretty much over until it rains and cleans off the roads. Even on the ride home it seemed to me that the GSA rode better. No lower fairing so my feet were actually warmer. Extra range is nice for traveling but even local it'll be nice not to have to fill up as often.

Panhandle Chuck

'10 GSA to '14 RT. The travel in the suspension is definitely a plus on the GSA. But overall, I'm liking the RT. The weather/wind/protection/control is still great on the RT, but I'd suggest the LC version allows you to get better air in the summer while still providing great cold weather and rain protection.

Both are of course wonderful machines anybody would be fortunate to own. I've owned both. Liked both.

WHAT I MISS OF THE GS WHEN ON THE RT (what the GS does better for me)

- Slimmer look and feel

- More wind at slower speeds and hot weather

WHAT I MISS OF THE RT WHEN ON THE GS (what the RT does better for me)

-Handy storage pockets

-Better wind protection on longer days and/or cold wet days

-Fewer buttons on the handlebars, much more control through wonder wheel

-More settings for heated grips

-Heated seat

-More useful dash which is easier to read

-More storage and easy to use luggage

-Easy to integrate audio

-Easier reach to the ground

-More responsive steering from a 17" front wheel

-Handlebar placement

Many think of the GS as being more dirt worthy. More dirt worthy has much more to do with tire choice than a bit longer suspension if we are talking about hard packed roads. On a trail the longer suspension will provide a benefit. The lower weight of the GS is often touted. Add bags to the GS and you are right back in the same weight range as the RT.

When it comes down to it I think the decision will have less to do with logic and more to do with emotion as the machines really are quite similar if you are not trail riding. Which one grabs your eye more? If one grabs your eye more than the other it is likely grabbing your heart too. Which feels like home when you sit on it? You really can't go wrong with either so which one looks or feels better to you?

Excellent review--thanks. Question re. the RT heated grips--I think they are controlled with the whiz wheel. I am constantly flipping my heated grips switch hi-lo-off depending on ambient temp/etc and it is easy to do on the GS. Is it a pain to change settings on the RT with the wheel?

Excellent review--thanks. Question re. the RT heated grips--I think they are controlled with the whiz wheel. I am constantly flipping my heated grips switch hi-lo-off depending on ambient temp/etc and it is easy to do on the GS. Is it a pain to change settings on the RT with the wheel?

Not at all, just set the heated grip temperature control to your "favourite menu" and it will the first menu on the Wonderwheel.

• 1 month later...

Not at all, just set the heated grip temperature control to your "favourite menu" and it will the first menu on the Wonderwheel.

What he said. The ability to make heated grips, suspension set up, GPS access, radio or whatever you like as the priority or favorite in the wonder wheel. After going from the wonder wheel to the push buttons on the GS felt like a big step backward for me. Both bikes can come with the wonder wheel. RT or K1600's give you much more functionality and control with the wonder wheel than the GS.

...After going from the wonder wheel to the push buttons on the GS felt like a big step backward for me. Both bikes can come with the wonder wheel. RT or K1600's give you much more functionality and control with the wonder wheel than the GS.

Having gone from RT to GSA, yes you are right about more things being controlled by the Wonder Wheel on the RT, than the GS. But, on the GS/GSA, you have easily-accessible buttons for all those functions, so you don't need the wheel. I personally prefer the buttons for grips, ESA etc., but control of the Nav V through the wheel is brilliant.

Archived