IGNORED

Ignition trigger feed for accessory feed

Kernicterus

Hi, new to this forum but pleased to join.

I am currently trying to fit some Denali D2 lights to my RT by virtue of a Rowe PDM60 and I am having trouble locating a 12v ignition trigger lead for the PDM. I can't use the tail/brake light supply as it only sends a paltry 3v via the CAN bus until the brakes are activated and I need a constant 12v supply to tap into.

Where can I find one and what colour is it please?

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way as bricks don't."

Depending on your year bike, there is a small running light next to the headlight that

Is illuminated all the time and can be accessed from behind. This should work for a trigger. Someone even makes a trigger wire adapter for that connector but I forget who.

Hi, new to this forum but pleased to join.

I am currently trying to fit some Denali D2 lights to my RT by virtue of a Rowe PDM60 and I am having trouble locating a 12v ignition trigger lead for the PDM. I can't use the tail/brake light supply as it only sends a paltry 3v via the CAN bus until the brakes are activated and I need a constant 12v supply to tap into.

Where can I find one and what colour is it please?

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way as bricks don't."

If you have the pre-wethead RT, then the hot lead for the side light is a good one to use. Get to the main connector behind the headlight assembly, and you should find two blue/white conductors. Those are the hot conductor for the left and right side marker lights. You can use either one.

The most convenient conductor to use for your trigger is the hot conductor for the aux. power outlet. Note that this power will stay on for about a minute after you turn your key off. The big negative about doing it this way, at least for me, is that if you habitually use a CANBUS friendly trickle charger to keep your battery topped up, via the aux. power port, then you will find that this circuit will be always active!

The third location that I had heard about, but had not used myself, is the power conductor for the PASSENGER seat heater! This should work because the ON/OFF switch for that heater is under that seat, and ergo one must have power delivered to that point which is always on, and presumably goes off when the bike is turned off.

The Rocketman

On my 2009 RT I tapped into the rear 12 volt aux power outlet just behind the passenger seat to power up my FuzeBlock. Works just fine.

I've also heard that some folks tap into the blue/green wire in the diagnostic plug under the seat for trigger power.

Then there's this from Twisted Throttle:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/electrical-connection-can-bus-electrical-connector-for-bmw-ducati-triumph-motorcycles

Thanks guys.

The front end of the bike was too far away from the PDM60 for ease of use but I found a green/white wire in the loom that goes to the box thing at the very back under the seat/top box mount. This is 12v on ignition and the PDM now works.

Now for the lights & Roadhawk camera!!

Then I'll put a USB socket in the glove box - in Spring maybe!!

The Rocketman

Whatever wire you chose, just make sure its switched hot, and not constant hot. Otherwise, if you forget to power off your lights, camera, GPS, etc (whatever is hooked to the PDM) you stand a chance of killing a perfectly good battery.

I used the tail light wire. The power comes from the battery connection. The trigger wire is just to play nice with the canbus system. The pdm cuts off when the key is off.

Archived