IGNORED

1984 R80RT

TGarner

I found a 1984 R80RT that has been sitting in an old garage for some time. The bike looks to be in fair condition. The bike was running when parked but the clutch was slipping. The owner bought the clutch but never got around to installing it. The bike in my opinion needs a complete disassembly, clean up and paint including the fairing, tank and fenders. There is a dent in the tank also along with a couple of bird nests in the fairing. Everything is there but it does not have the hardbags. Assuming the engine is in good shape (the bike has 40,000 miles), does anyone have an opinion on what it is worth or what it is worth if it is in presentable condition.

Hi Toker (is that a pun ?),

1984 was the last year for leading axle front fork, front brake calipers behind axle RTs; also last year for 19 inch front wheel. I'm sure there are other differences vis a vis 1984 R80RT vs. 1985 R80RT. Airheads of this vintage (heck, all airheads) when clutch needs replacing usually are leaking oil from engine's rear main seal; oil contaminates clutch causing slippage. So, this '84 RT may need rear main seal as well as new clutch disc.

Sorry to not have any suggestions regarding approximate value; I just don't know.

Wooster

Patient: Doc, I can't stop singing "The green green grass of home".

Doctor: Sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.

Patient: Is it common ?

Doctor: Well, It's not unusual.

If it was like brand new and complete and perfect maybe 4-$5K. If you put a value of $20 an hour on your time you'll exceed this in labor alone. Plus parts. Just to make it a reliable rider. You do these things because you want to, not because it's a good deal. $500 max. If you want a good deal, buy a used Honda. grin.gif

I worked for a while last year in the Atlanta area and went to a BMW shop called Blue Moon BMW and thier motto is "Don't ignore it, Restore it." They had a great shop with a lot of vintage bikes, give them a call and see what it would cost in parts, the labor should be all love anyway. Cheers, DBG

FWIW I found a very very clean 12K mile '85 R80RT in the fall of 2003 on eBay listing for $3500 minimum bid. It didn't sell so I contacted the seller afterward and offered $3300. He accepted the offer and trailered the bike to me 150 miles in the snow. I put a new battery in it, rode it all winter and sold it the following March for $4850 through IBMWR.org.

'85 was the first year for the monoshock rear end.

I appreciate all of the responses. It would be a fun project (like I need another one). I do like rebuilding old bikes but I don't like having more in them than they are worth (this excludes my labor which I never count). The owner wanted $2000 for it which I knew was way too much. I just did not know what to offer. I was thinking between $500-1000. I will probably just pass on it, he seemed to think it was worth much more.

Archived