IGNORED

Are Your Rear Footrest Guide Plate Screws Loose -- or Missing?

MotoBones

I took the right pannier off my '14 RT today and heard something drop on the garage floor. It was the little guide plate that fits onto the footrest subframe where you over slide the pannier so everything lines up and stays in place when you put the pannier back on. I slid the guide plate back onto the footrest subframe and realized the two screws that are supposed to hold it in place were missing. I double checked the screws on the other side of the bike and both were loose enough to remove with my fingers.

To save yourself a hassle over two 50-cent screws, go see if these screws (Phillips) are loose on your bike. Same for GT/L. You need to remove the pannier to access the screw heads -- assuming they're there!

If they're missing, you need M4X10 self-tapping screws with button heads (part number 07 11 9 906 033). Rather than drive around to find a hardware store with a metric bolt drawer that has M4X10 self-tappers with a rust-resistant coating, I just ordered from MaxBMW's website. 50 cents each. Scroll down for the USPS shipping option...about half the cost of the default option.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=56210

Bring up the schematic for REAR FOOTRESTS 46_1624

Item 9 (part number 07 11 9 906 033) is a self tapping M4X10 screw. Each guide plate (Item 8) is supposed to be secured by two of these screws. If the guide plate is gone, you need part number 46 71 7 674 211.

The screws are going back in with a drop of blue thread lock.

I took the right pannier off my '14 RT today and heard something drop on the garage floor. It was the little guide plate that fits onto the footrest subframe where you over slide the pannier so everything lines up and stays in place when you put the pannier back on. I slid the guide plate back onto the footrest subframe and realized the two screws that are supposed to hold it in place were missing. I double checked the screws on the other side of the bike and both were loose enough to remove with my fingers.

To save yourself a hassle over two 50-cent screws, go see if these screws (Phillips) are loose on your bike. Same for GT/L. You need to remove the pannier to access the screw heads -- assuming they're there!

If they're missing, you need M4X10 self-tapping screws with button heads (part number 07 11 9 906 033). Rather than drive around to find a hardware store with a metric bolt drawer that has M4X10 self-tappers with a rust-resistant coating, I just ordered from MaxBMW's website. 50 cents each. Scroll down for the USPS shipping option...about half the cost of the default option.

Item 9 (part number 07 11 9 906 033) is a self tapping M4X10 screw. Each guide plate (Item 8) is supposed to be secured by two of these screwse . If the guide plate is gone, you need part number 46 71 7 674 211.

Are you referring to the plate that the passenger foot pegs are attached to? If so both sides are tight. GT

Item 9 (part number 07 11 9 906 033) is a self tapping M4X10 screw. Each guide plate (Item 8) is supposed to be secured by two of these screws. If the guide plate is gone, you need part number 46 71 7 674 211.

If this is the plate/screws you're talking about, then the two on the right side were "loose" and the two on the left side appeared adequately tight.

Thanks for the heads up.

AD

i-4R5k7KL-L.jpg

You guys always thought I had a screw loose... well, not exactly... I had two loose... starboard side.

Port side tight.

Alert the Mothership!

If someone is keeping a list I too had a screw loose :). Yep left side both of them. I also let my local club in on the issue. Thanks to the OP!

Jay

Too late for me, right plate already missing. $5.00 plus $1.00 for fasteners. Left plate is loose. Might be cheaper to pay for the missing parts rather than ride the 100 or so miles to and from the dealer. Thanks for the heads up.

Red bill....check your luggage, small possibility it might be stuck in the grove.

Checked mine this morning...both sides were tight. Will put it on the occasional check list.

Checked mine

They weren't loose in a sense of easy turning, just not tight to the point where I couldn't get easily another 1/2 turn on them.

As the caps are plastic, making them over tight would probably just distort the plastic.

So this weekend I will add some blue Loctite.

Thanks for the tip.

The blue Loctite I have says "Not Recommended For

Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result." I've seen some reports that it also eats nylon.

An alternative is the rather expensive Loctite 425 thread lock, which is intended for plastics, but it is essentially just cyanoacrylate (SuperGlue).

The blue Loctite I have says "Not Recommended For

Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result." I've seen some reports that it also eats nylon.

An alternative is the rather expensive Loctite 425 thread lock, which is intended for plastics, but it is essentially just cyanoacrylate (SuperGlue).

Yeah, but you are not using it on plastic! It's on the thread of steel screw that goes into threaded aluminum piece!

Do the screws go into plastic inserts or metal threads?
The screws thread into the metal footrest brackets. I got 1/4 turn on all four, probably compressing the plastic slightly.

Frank

Yeah, but you are not using it on plastic! It's on the thread of steel screw that goes into threaded aluminum piece!

My misunderstanding. Probably assumed the screws went into plastic when I read that these were self threading screws, something I had not seen on a BMW before.

You guys are too much. Genuine BMW screws for 50 cents? Five bucks for a piece of plastic? Clearly counterfeit, and you just compromised your warranty. :)

My misunderstanding. Probably assumed the screws went into plastic when I read that these were self threading screws, something I had not seen on a BMW before.

Me too. They are self-tapping screws, and possible because the aluminum that they are threaded into is cast material (probably die-cast), and therefore fairly soft.

The Wetheads may be different, but my '11 RT has 4mm machine screws in that part. I removed one after seeing this discussion.

Frank

Thanks for the tip. Just checked mine. One screw on each side very loose, the two other screws also needed tightening. Proves the value of the forum.

Got out the lock-tite and went to check mine, but they were all snug. I never ride without the bags, though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it (screws are somewhat captured when the bags are on).

I found mine to be loose a couple of weeks after taking delivery of my 2015 RT.

I nipped them up and have found them secure each time I have checked since.

Sounds like someone on the assembly line is having too many late nights.

Ian

Got out the lock-tite and went to check mine, but they were all snug. I never ride without the bags, though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it (screws are somewhat captured when the bags are on).

"Somewhat" is the operative word there. I ride with bags all the time, yet the screws on the right side of my bike were parts unknown.

I had been riding without my bags on the last couple of times out. Reading this I thought for sure mine would be gone, but, nope both sides really loose but parts are all there. Caught just in time.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

2105 R1200RT, Ebony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dave Stephens

MotoBones - I saved your post to a Word document and have had it taped to my garage fridge for some time now. Since the weather has warmed up and I've been riding a bunch, I finally referred to your post and sure enough mine were lose as well. I applied the Blue Loctite and expect no more problems.

Thanks so much for your thorough post as you've saved me (and others I'm sure) the hassle having to deal with missing screws!

Archived