IGNORED

2002 R1150RT fuel reserve light stuck ON

claudiop

Hi

My fuel reserve light came on as per normal mileage and I filled up. However, the reserve light has remained ON. I've rocked the bike and turned it ON and OFF, gone for several short rides turning ON and OFF, but to no avail.

Any ideas much appreciated, cheers

Morning claudiop

It sounds like the float is stuck (or more likely the float has crumbled & has fallen off it's metal rod)

If the float is stuck down then it might be hanging up on the wires inside the tank.

You can TRY running the fuel level low in the tank again, then filling the tank with a few gallons of fuel, but squirt the fuel on the right side of the tank (fill from the L/H side of bike with nozzle pointing to the right)

Otherwise you will probably have to remove the fuel pump assembly & see what is going on, (OR) cut the (low fuel warning) wire between the pump pass through & the bike harness, (OR) try to remove the low fuel warning bulb in the dash.

Morning claudiop

(OR) cut the (low fuel warning) wire between the pump pass through & the bike harness, (OR) try to remove the low fuel warning bulb in the dash.

If it came to this, I think since I wouldn't want to cut the wire or try taking the dash apart to fix a symptom (more work than I'd want to do unless I got to solve the problem), and the warning light bothered me, I'd start with some electrical -or similar- tape over the light.

Any harm that would come from that other than burning out the bulb? (And that's a serious question - I consider electricity to be a type of magic that people - other than me - just happen to have a handle on.)

josh

If the float isn't stuck it's prob Low fuel relay, prob toast. Mine was, I think it reads a ground in excess of 10 seconds & trips.

Look on ebay for used one.

Thanks for the heads-up. It was indeed that the float had gotten stuck on the input hose clamp of the fuel filter. While I was in there I gave the variable rheostat a clean and installed a new fuel filter etc. Checked all circuitry before I reinstalled and all OK.

Many thanks :Wink:

Archived