IGNORED

Cruise Control Clutch Switch Adjustment?

Laney

My cruise control doesn't work in the cold unless I move the clutch lever around, so I'm pretty sure the switch needs adjusting. I know it's in the clutch lever housing, but the one parts fiche picture I found doesn't really show where it sits or how to access it.

Has anyone ever adjusted this before, or had things apart enough on the side where the switch is to know the most direct way to get to the switch to adjust it?

Laney,

I not the clutch but the wiring harness that runs from the cruise down into the engine. One time my cruise stopped working and my riding buddy Limecreek said just reach down and rearrange the wirring harness with yur hand(try to give a little more slack) This solved my problem and I had no reocurrence.

Laney,

I had something similar on my K1200RS after the 1st year (approx. 14,000 miles). The cruise control system uses many switches in order to dis-engage: front-brake, rear-brake, clutch and throttle. The brake switches are located where you would expect because they also serve to activate the brake light. The throttle switch is a the end of the 2nd cable (the "return" cable) and is mounted on the throttle body (under the left fairing).

The most common problems are from either the clutch or the throttle switches.

Parked your bike (ignition off) in a quiet place and slowly pull the clutch lever with you ear close to the lever. You should hear a light click just at the beginning and another one about half way.

If you hear the first one only after you force the lever back, or if you need to move it around

a few times, then this could be your problem.

In my case, I had to remove the plastic cover under the clutch level unit (2 screws) and inside I found that the switch was a bit loose. I tighten the tiny single screw holding it to the unit and it was better but not quite perfect. Then I bent one of the metal tab to make it activate a bit later in the lever movement. My opinion now is that the factory design is just a bit too aggressive.

That switch does not need to de-activate the cruise when you move the lever 1/32 inch.

In the worst case, the lever will vibrate a bit (wind) and the cruise will go off.

Let me know if all this makes sense.

P.S.:

-----

1) English is not my main language.

2) Mine is the same color as yours but did NOT cause me

many problems. Just this and a headlight ground wire.

I adjusted my clutch cruise switch to engage just like the brake switch: barely after depressing the lever. And yes, the switch is under the bottom clutch-lever housing cover, which is in place by 3 screws, if memory serves me right. You'll have to wiggle it out, and use an offset screwdriver on one screw (also if I remember correctly). The screw that adjusts the cruise is right in the middle. Unscrewing (counterclockwise) moves engagement point out (of the switch, which means disengagement of the cruise; makes sense??), like I did. In your case, you want to screw it in, to move the engagement point of the switch (the 'click'), closer to the grips.

One comment though: I wanted the cruise to disengage by barely touching the clutch lever, to use it instead of the brake lever, as it doesn't flash the rear lights. I've had the bike on cruise at triple digits, and on bumpy roads, and has never disengaged itself (no GT hand guards either). If your clutch lever is not firm at the end, you need to bleed the circuit. One other problem with those switches is they get stuck; use 'dry silicone spray' to spray those suckers every once in a while. That could be your problem too. Good luck, and hope this helps.

JC

Thanks, John - your explanation for accessing the clutch switch is perfectly clear smile.gif I know what to take off to find it now.

JC - thanks for the added information.

I've never had the cruise shut off while riding, mine stays on when set. It won't set if it's cold outside, unless I move the clutch lever, and even that doesn't work 100% of the time when it's cold.

It may not get warm enough to look into it until the weekend, but I know now that it's easy to get into the place where the switch is located. thumbsup.gif

Archived