IGNORED

Fuel leaks

Reutens

Hi guys,

Need to tap you guys knowledge again, whenever I park my RT1100 for a few days or when the engine is cold, I seem to get a fuel leak from the Right side of the engine, peering under the fairing I can see quite a lot of fuel leaking from somewhere above the trottle body, before I open up the covers, I would like to know what kind of problems I might be facing. Anyone have this type of fault. Any advise ?

Tks in advance. confused.gif

Hi guys,

Need to tap you guys knowledge again, whenever I park my RT1100 for a few days or when the engine is cold, I seem to get a fuel leak from the Right side of the engine, peering under the fairing I can see quite a lot of fuel leaking from somewhere above the trottle body, before I open up the covers, I would like to know what kind of problems I might be facing. Anyone have this type of fault. Any advise ?

I had a cold temp leak that turned out to the fuel hose clamps on the lines coming from the tank. I had to remove the BMW style pinch clamps and replace them with hose clamps I could buy locally. Problem solved. thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

If it's coming from the area above the right throttle body, then yeah, it's probably one of the clamps that RLK refers to. They are crimp-type clamps. You can mangle/cut them to get them off, and replace them with 5/16" (or 8mm) fuel-injection hose clamps from an auto parts store.

There are three clamps/hoses in this particular location: fuel supply (tank to regulator), fuel return (regulator back to tank), and injector feed (regulator to right injector). Your trouble spot is likely the fuel return line, but you might as well do all three lines while you're in there. thumbsup.gif

Hi guys,

Depending on the year, your fuel line clamps (pressure line to the fuel regulator and return line back to the tank) need to be tightened. It is likely the pressure line that is causing the problem but, snug both clamps. If your clamps are the style that uses the screw/hex to tighten, merely take the appropriate socket and snug them. I would avoid removing them due to the potential for getting debris into the line. This is especially problematic on the pressure line. Debris in this line will make its way to an injector and possibly lodge in the nozzle area, affecting fuel spray pattern and engine drivability.

Merely snug them (Not too tight, just snug) and your leak will go away. If you have the pinch type clamps (no adjustment nut), I would replace the clamps with the appropriate stainless steel screw-type clamps which can be reused, tightened, loosened, etc. If this doen not cure the leak, the leak may be at the hose barbs on the tank at the fuel pump assembly, necesssitating removal of the tank for inspection and tightening.

Try a bit of Techron in the tank as well to clean injectors and remove valve deposits.

SAAB93driver

While I prefer the FI screw clamps I snugged up the crimp clamps successfully on my 1150RS without difficulty. It is similar to a CV boot clamp which I have the crimp tool for but bull nose tile snips and a careful hand could be used as well.

OK, finally got down to check out this fuel leak, apperently it was the lower hose just by the trottle body, it had frailed a bit just enough for it to leak, I just cut off about half an inch, replaced to clamp, repair done.

Thanks guys.

Rgs

Archived