IGNORED

Questions Concerning the New/Newer 1200RTs

h2000fb

Been thinking about new and/newer RTs. Wondering if anyone can answer a few questions?

Have a 2005 currently, but have been thinking about a newer one lately.

- I noticed at some point, BMW made a location in then dash area for the GPS to mount between the speedo and the tack. Will the Garmin 660L fit? The mount looks the same from what pictures I have seen.

- I noticed the handlebars at some point stopped having the 4 screw mounting system for both sides that allowed for a riser to be installed. With the new system, is there way to install a riser of some sort? Have seen one set of risers but they were ugggly!

From what I tried to find out before buying my '14 RT, only the Garmin/Bmw Nav V will fit into the factory gps prep mount. That does NOT mean you could not rig up something to hold your 660 and run power to it separately. It would look and fit good there I think, but not be integrated.

The only bar risers available for the wethead RT are the Illium brand. Ugly and a pita to install. BUT, after putting off getting them I will say I should have just done it right away. With the taller seat they make a big improvement for me.

I believe the Zumo 666 will fit in the factory GPS mount on the new Wethead RT but you won't have any use of the wonder wheel and I'm not sure if the Audio will work. It's an easy test, take the GPS for a test ride :D

Jay

If you're after a Wethead bite the bullet and get a NAV V; functionality on this bike is great. Got my dealer down to $350 at time of sale to further incentivize the sale. You can run across used NAV IV's sometimes, particularly over on the K1600 forum.

Nav IV was based on Garmin 660 (don't know about that devilish 666, though ;) ) Early K1600 were designed to take the Nav IV but I installed a Nav V with no problem, so your GPS will fit. It won't integrate with the bike's electronics though so you'll get power but be unable to switch screens and zoom using the wonderwheel.

I think the Ilium risers are the only ones out there (could be wrong). They would probably help me but I just can't pull the trigger because I think they're ugly. I can ride as far as I need to with the stock setup so it's not imperative that I change although I think I'd be more comfortable with risers. I think BMW made the wrong decision when they made the bars and the upper triple tree as a single casting. It's less expensive to build but for the price they charge I should be able to adjust my position not be locked into it.

Isn't "good looking bar risers" an oxymoron? Just kidding.

Well, some do look better than others. But, I do know what you are talking about.

As far as the GPS, as long as I can get my 660 to mount and work as is does on my present RT, I'm a happy camper. Will be back by the Dealer in a week or so, and plan to take the 660 in for a trial fitment. I won't miss the zoom feature since I don't have it now.

Nav IV was based on Garmin 660 (don't know about that devilish 666, though ;) ) Early K1600 were designed to take the Nav IV but I installed a Nav V with no problem, so your GPS will fit. It won't integrate with the bike's electronics though so you'll get power but be unable to switch screens and zoom using the wonderwheel.

I think the Ilium risers are the only ones out there (could be wrong). They would probably help me but I just can't pull the trigger because I think they're ugly. I can ride as far as I need to with the stock setup so it's not imperative that I change althoughriis I think I'd be more comfortable with risers. I think BMW made the wrong decision when they made the bars and the upper triple tree as a single casting. It's less expensive to build but for the price they charge I should be able to adjust my position not be locked into it.

Agree they aren't the best looking risers but they do work very well and make riding a lot more comfortable. GT

As far as the BMW gps, I am not oppose to it. It is just the Garmin Zumo is not that old and it being a 660LM, free life-time map updates are hard to give-up!

I believe the Zumo 666 will fit in the factory GPS mount on the new Wethead RT but you won't have any use of the wonder wheel and I'm not sure if the Audio will work. It's an easy test, take the GPS for a test ride :D

Jay

Should of read- I believe the Zumo 660 will fit... Sorry about that

Jay

The only bar risers available for the wethead RT are the Illium brand. Ugly and a pita to install. BUT, after putting off getting them I will say I should have just done it right away. With the taller seat they make a big improvement for me.

I have read in different reviews, the 2014/15's engine was a little smoother than previous. Still, however, much over 75 one starts to get a tingle in the handlebars that increases with speeds much over legal highway speeds. Not bad but present. My 2005 does it.

My question is, did the addition of the risers make this better or worse? Or, did it affect it at all? Seems like the risers might possibly amplify it - maybe.

I don't feel any difference in vibrations at all with the Illium bar risers.

Yes, there is more vibration in the wethead above about 4500 rpm. I don't find it causes any issues with me on long rides. It is relative however, as my '04 RT was never close to the wethead in smoothness. At any RPM. What I wish is that the new RT had a taller 6th gear. Maybe 5-600 rpm less at 75 mph. It has the torque to handle that very nicely.

I was on an '05 just like you... and I was/am a GPS fan.

I am very impressed with the '14 and declare it a "keeper". Lots of things and reasons to put it on the "I like it Better- Because..." list.

I had a zumo 550 on the '05. Loved it... The Nav V is good and will take a bit of a learning curve to surmount but all things considered the bike and GPS update is all positive. There is a pretty active secondary market for the older GPS.

My advice it to get the new bike and GPS and sell the 660.

I have read in different reviews, the 2014/15's engine was a little smoother than previous. Still, however, much over 75 one starts to get a tingle in the handlebars that increases with speeds much over legal highway speeds. Not bad but present. My 2005 does it.

My question is, did the addition of the risers make this better or worse? Or, did it affect it at all? Seems like the risers might possibly amplify it - maybe.

FWIW my Wethead is the smoothest RT I've ever ridden (my previous were 2004 Oilhead and 2009 Hexhead) with one exception: 5th gear. There is a very pronounced, oscillating type vibration in 5th at all speeds. In fact, I'd say it's "not normal" and will have it checked out at my overdue 12k service this week. Otherwise, smooth as glass. No tingles, no vibes (note that I have "grip puppies" over the stock grips which quell vibes, and I also have the Ilium risers which made absolutely no difference in vibes on my bike, but made it worlds more comfy for me.)

I like the gearing and find 6th is right in the powerband at the speeds I like to cruise at, which makes for easy passing. I simply can't find much to complain about on this bike.

-MKL

Thanks for all the good information. I find these comments and thought very interesting. Any more to come should also be informative. Good stuff.

I've had two other 1200RTs. A 05 and an 08. I thought they were both great but my 2015 is by far the best. Many improvements.

GT

- I noticed at some point, BMW made a location in then dash area for the GPS to mount between the speedo and the tack. Will the Garmin 660L fit? The mount looks the same from what pictures I have seen.

The Zumo 660/665 will fit and be powered from the RT's GPS mount but you will not have control over the GPS from the "wonder wheel". A BMW Nav IV or Nav V will fit and you will have some control of the GPS through the "wonder wheel".

The Nav IV handles routes like the Zumo 550 and 660/665 would which I prefer, especially how it reroutes if you change route mid stream or need to alter your route on the fly. The Nav V recalculates faster and has a slightly larger, noticeably brighter screen.

Archived