IGNORED

New toy in the garage

OoPEZoO

This thing has been bouncing around garages in my family for almost as long as I can remember. At one point, my Dad traded my uncle a popup camper for it. I used to clean out the carb every summer and sneak it out of the shed for some joy riding. It had since ended up in my sisters garage for a few years where my brother in law and I got it running once or twice. The problem was, no one could sort out what the title situation was, so it was kind of always in limbo. I had always wanted it, but couldn't get any consistent answers about who had the title or where it was. Since the holidays just happened, I had all of the of offending partys in the same room so I sat them down and made a stink about it. It was decide that is was mine as long as I did whatever legwork was needed to sort out the title. Then less than a week later, it turns out that my brother in law just stumbled onto the title while moving to a new house. To make it even better, it was never transferred from my uncle. So all I have to do is hit up the notary with him and it is legally mine and will be easy to put a plate on it and get it road worthy again. It brings back a lot of good memories and should be a fun little project. So I picked it up and brought her home this morning. My "new" 1985 Honda CB125S

AB2534B5-3B0E-4D1C-B476-FC942A0A88CC_zpstfsnqmxd.jpg

AD089D94-C346-4772-A21B-32DB7F56777D_zpslxqnxjav.jpg

Overall, it's in great shape. It just needs a bath, a few rubber hoses replaced, new tires, and a few cosmetics. I'll know more once I get it running. It's probably been 5+ years since we got it running last, but the tank and carb had been drained since then. So I have no idea what the inside of the carb looks like. Funny thing is, a carb rebuild kit for it is $25, and new Mikuni carb for it is $32....LOL. I'm sure it probably just needs a thorough cleaning to get it running. I'm charging the battery now and hoping to get it fired up at some point this weekend. Its hilarious how light it is, it's like pushing around a bicycle. I unloaded it from my utility trailer without a ramp by just picking it up by the rear grab rail and hoisting it off. Certainly can't do that with the BMW or Buell.

Its hilarious how light it is, it's like pushing around a bicycle. I unloaded it from my utility trailer without a ramp by just picking it up by the rear grab rail and hoisting it off. Certainly can't do that with the BMW or Buell.

I had a '71 CB100 while in college. No garage, so during one winter break I brought into my rooming house for maintenance. It really wasn't all that hard to push it up to my room on the third floor. At least ten people learned to ride on it. I used it mostly around town, but it carried me on a couple day trips of about 200 miles each. This model was built pre-"always-on" headlights, so the 6V charging system was weak. Drive any distance at night and it was likely that using the brake or a turn signal would act as a kill switch. Just sold it a few years ago, but it still started on one kick and was fun to ride.

24034805441_f999618342_o.jpg

It's a not a Mikuni. A real Mikuni would be over 100 if they made one that small.

The reproduction carbs you see on Amazon and ebay are clones of the original Keihin and work amazingly well.

We just put one on a Honda CT110 last week.

Get a new battery too even if it runs with a nasty old one. It's better for the charging system.

First on you list should be to replace the brake and clutch fluid. That stuff absorbs water over time. And don't forget that includes bleeding its ABS system as well. As you noted time does its thing on hoses so I would think this is the ideal time to upgrade to stainless steel braided hose lines. Spiegler is the brand I prefer.

Honda makes pretty robust and foolproof traction control and fuel mapping systems, so I think you'll be OK there.

Even though it may have low miles on it the suspension could probably use an an upgrade, and you may as well do that now while you are it. Ohlins are the gold standard so that is really all I would consider. As for the front suspension I've always found Race Tech to be the best.

Finally, you might want to lose that heavy stock exhaust. I did a quick search for you, but couldn't find anything specific, so since you seem to have some mechanical skills you might want to consider adapting one of the popular Screaming Eagle products to fit. You might even get a price break since you only need the one pipe, and these usually come with two.

Let me know if you need anymore suggestions. I'm here to help.

Guest Kakugo

First on you list should be to replace the brake and clutch fluid. That stuff absorbs water over time. And don't forget that includes bleeding its ABS system as well. As you noted time does its thing on hoses so I would think this is the ideal time to upgrade to stainless steel braided hose lines. Spiegler is the brand I prefer.

Honda makes pretty robust and foolproof traction control and fuel mapping systems, so I think you'll be OK there.

Even though it may have low miles on it the suspension could probably use an an upgrade, and you may as well do that now while you are it. Ohlins are the gold standard so that is really all I would consider. As for the front suspension I've always found Race Tech to be the best.

Finally, you might want to lose that heavy stock exhaust. I did a quick search for you, but couldn't find anything specific, so since you seem to have some mechanical skills you might want to consider adapting one of the popular Screaming Eagle products to fit. You might even get a price break since you only need the one pipe, and these usually come with two.

Let me know if you need anymore suggestions. I'm here to help.

Eddd, you forgot upgrading to Brembo monobloc brake calipers. :grin:

Pretty impressive sissy bar there Larry :)

You'd be amazed at the street cred I got at biker bars!!

:rofl:

That was a very important farkle that came with the bike when I bought it from a high school friend. Perfect to strap on my old Boy Scout backpack for a grocery run. The pack was the exact size and shape to hold a paper grocery sack. The backpack kept the bag from ripping and the sissy bar kept everything upright. Sissy bars were pretty common then, though most had decorative scroll work.

That friend was a 275 pound football player who was a bit oversize for a CB100. I suspect that he used all of that weight every time he started the bike. He broke off the starter shaft where it exited the case, and sold me the bike for $125 when he moved on to a Norton Atlas bored out to 800cc. The Atlas threatened to break his leg every time he started it, and vibrated his fillings out when it ran, so it was sold for a rusted-out Pinto (I know, that's redundant).

Pretty sure I found out why I couldn't get it started.....LOL

BF4AC954-7E31-4C58-B33F-1206103CF5B9_zpsapuvktg8.jpg

I have never seen the inside of a carb so nasty. What came out was just a stinky varnish. It didn't even resemble gasoline. I put some fuel in the tank and it is draining out clear. So hopefully I can get this mess cleaned up and get her back to life. Wow that's nasty

I recently rebuilt a carb from Yamaha TW200 for a friend. Unlike the varnish-like deposits I'm used to seeing, this one has lots of blueish crystal deposits. I assume it was from some of the newer additives found in today's gasoline.

Yours does win the award for the nastiest I seen so far.

The gas tank is bigger than the engine. I bet you fill it up yearly, empty or not!

That looks like it could look like new with some detailing. I am glad you got it in your hands and are looking after it.

That's a very cool bike... My brother had one in beautiful condition before he passed away years ago. Wonder whatever happened to it. Enjoy fixing, detailing, and mostly riding that bike! You'll get lots of comments on it, I bet. I have a minty fresh little 82 XL80 that I ride in town, and people always comment on it.

Hey Keith, will you be riding that out to the UN? :grin:

At this point, I doubt I'm going to be able to make it at all. My buddy called me with a great opportunity for an epic snowboarding trip to British Columbia next month. I can't pass it up, so I might have to sacrifice the UN for it. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out. Either way....no, the bike for Red Lodge would most likely be the GS, I'd love to take the Buell out, but the seat and ergos would kill me if I decided to ride a long day. Lots of time left, we will see

I'm from BC, and I don't know what mountain you have an invite for, but it's a great year for snow. Better wax that board and get to it!

I'm from BC, and I don't know what mountain you have an invite for, but it's a great year for snow. Better wax that board and get to it!

Red Mountain and Whitewater resort were the two I was told, plus we are doing 2 days of backcountry snowboarding off of a snowcat. I don't really have too many details other than what time I need to be at the airport :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"...since you seem to have some mechanical skills..." :rofl: Thanks Ed! Best tongue-in-cheek comment so far this year.

Great addition to the fleet Keith!

Big advantage for you with the rate of exchange for your dollar over here. Don't discount the unrally yet.

Archived