IGNORED

F800GT - Getting Back Into Riding

WillB

I am getting back into riding after being away for about 22 years and wanted to come straight to the source as I am seeking some insight into the F800GT. When I was in my 20's I rode sport bikes and now am torn between a cruiser and a Sport Tourer as I jump back in. I still like the pegs under my body feel but am not sure if that is just what I was used to or...I digress. I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts on the F800GT. I will be primarily riding on weekends, around town, etc. My wife won't be joining me but I have a teenage son who wants to spend time with his father and so there will be some 2 up riding. I have not had the opportunity to throw a leg over one yet and am hoping to do so soon. I would appreciate your insight. Thank you!

Hi WillB

I like mine. It is a great around town bike, and OK for trips. I haven't used it two-up yet but see no reason it wouldn't be just fine.

The good. Reasonable (but not overwhelming) power. Handles well. Great gas mileage. Lighter than most bikes at 470 lbs. Good luggage (not cheap).

The bad. Some vibration issues reported by some owners. Small tank (4.0 gal). Weather protection not up to my RT standards (but what is?). Expensive drive belt.

go to

http://f800riders.org/

for lots more info

22 years? That's almost as long as I've been riding! :grin:

The F800GT is really a nice little bike, albeit a tad on the expensive side.

It has a small tank, yes, but it sips fuel. The engine vibrates a little but compared to its Kawasaki competitor is fine.

Plenty of power for relaxed rides, the ride quality is very good, brakes are nice...

However one word of warning: the riding position is not to everybody's liking. It's not really a tourer and not exactly a sportsbike.

And, albeit I am not a giant, I found it a little cramped for my tastes, so throw your leg over it as soon as you see one in a dealership.

Oh, and merry Christmas!

While I admire that you want a BMW to get back in the saddle with, I am not a fan of the 800 series bikes. Especially not the street only versions. No offense to those that have and enjoy them, but the performance, comfort, cost, and especially the looks just don't add up for me.

I would recommend a Suzuki V Strom DL 650 as a "get back in the saddle" bike. Cheap, can be made comfy for all day touring, reliable, great power, reliable. Buy a late model used bike. You won't lose much if you sell it. Meanwhile get some saddle time and step up to the 1200 series BMW's when you feel comfortable.

Is there a budget?

Sometimes the right bike for the right price is right around the corner.

But get what floats your boat.

The 800 GS has a few fans.

Used might be the way to start, even the suggestion for a VStrom.

Take some training classes and get good gear first.

In 22 years the roads have changed.

More squidiots giving riders a bad rep.

More cell phone usage and the dreaded textmonsters are everywhere.

Red lights are suggestions and stop signs aren't.

Conspicuity helps. But usually only with drivers who are already looking, IMO.

All the others don't care about you, your life, or your well being.

They will try to kill you, sometimes intentionally.

There is data for returning riders wrt safety awareness and graphs showing upticks in accidents after a short time and then a bit down the road.

May still be true, or a little better/worse now, but not long ago 1/2 of all solo fatal accidents involved alcohol in the riders system.

Best wishes for a great experience and many happy miles ahead.

I came back to bikes after 30 years. Bought a 1200 Bandit.

I was going to be sensible and went go buy a Pan. Didn't float my boat so bought the Bandit.

Was planning on re-training etc. Bought the bike and the gear and decided just to run to the end of the road. Kept going.....went to Starbucks and had a coffee...

I went out in the evening when it was quiet and went to an industrial estate practised emergency stops.

The bandit just wasn't fast enough. Bought a GSXR and then a Fireblade.

A bike is only as fast as you want to go. Buy the dream (within reason - not a Panigale) and enjoy.

I've also got a 2008 R1200RT. No rocketship but good for long distances in the winter......

Pete

Glad to hear you're back ! It's been 40 years for me - this Summer was my first. Normal responsibilities (career, wife, kids, tuition, etc.) and I finally said "what r you waiting for, a wheelchair" ? I took MSF, bought a V Star 1100, drove that 2K, sold it and bought a sweet R1200RT. Everytime I ride it, I thank God I made the decision to ride again.

While I admire that you want a BMW to get back in the saddle with, I am not a fan of the 800 series bikes. Especially not the street only versions. No offense to those that have and enjoy them, but the performance, comfort, cost, and especially the looks just don't add up for me.

I would recommend a Suzuki V Strom DL 650 as a "get back in the saddle" bike. Cheap, can be made comfy for all day touring, reliable, great power, reliable. Buy a late model used bike. You won't lose much if you sell it. Meanwhile get some saddle time and step up to the 1200 series BMW's when you feel comfortable.

I'm with Shelby on this one. ..

Get a used 1000 Strom or similar and do a major upgrade in a year.

Archived