IGNORED

Sport Touring Pants - recommendations needed

paRTy

Looking to buy Sport touring pants, that are not over pants.

Currently using a pair of Tourmaster over pants for last 12 years. Would like to just throw on pants with maybe a shorts base layer or full length LD Comfort bottom, no jeans, etc., but have protection the pants.

Those that use this kind of pant, can you please help steer me in the right direction for research. Have done some looking, but can never figure out if they need a bottom layer. Is the Klim Latitude in the right direction?

I am 5'11", 170 lbs. Use BMW All Around boots.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure what you expect as far as being waterproof, or just how much protection you expect. Price will always be a point of consideration.

Consider the Aerostich pants that look a LOT like a pair of Khakis. These have some built in protection, both abrasion and impact. Definitely something you could wear off the bike without looking like Joe Racer....

Motoport has some pants that might be worth looking at. Their stretch Kevlar pants are second to none in protection. I believe they also offer a pant that is more "uniform" lookings for Police use that may be something you might like.

Beyond examples like those above, I find most gear is covered with names, abstract color patches, and doo dads that insure you look like Joe Racer......

Olympia has several styles that work fine as overpants or by themselves thanks to an "American" cut and heavy waist elastic. They do rely on liners for rain.

I use an older version of their mesh Dakar pants which have zip-off legs - works great alone for summer day hikes. Cooler spring/fall rides are comfortable with full length windproof hiking pants. Still have room for another layer if needed. As overpants, the side leg zips help with on/off, but I find a plastic grocery bag helps ease my boots through and keep the dirt off the pants. I carry a rainsuit, but the RT fairing means I rarely need it.

I'm always interested in hearing why the same protection Marc Marquez or Valentino Rossi wear running MotoGP isn't the same thing anyone needs for "sport touring." Or any other riding.

Yes, you should have CE protectors in knees and hips but you should also either have a one-piece suit or a pants/jacket combination that zips together--you don't want your pants coming off as you're sliding down the road, right?

Every Spring, Roadracing World magazine publishes its Trackday Directory issue wherein it describes the kind of protection you need in gloves, boots, and riding suits. I recommend it.

Klim Latitude is a good choice.

BMW Streetguard waterproof but breathe well with the CARE membrane,great armor.

Aerostich Darien or Darien light is the classic choice.

JR356

Very satisfied with Klim Latitude pants. A bit pricey, but have great protection and they are waterproof, so no need to carry rain pants. They work from the 30's with some liner, up to the high 80's. Beyond that you need something that flows more air IMHO.

Very satisfied with Klim Latitude pants. A bit pricey, but have great protection and they are waterproof, so no need to carry rain pants. They work from the 30's with some liner, up to the high 80's. Beyond that you need something that flows more air IMHO.

I too have the Latitude pants. Excellent protection, although not quite the "european" fit like the BMW gear. This means a bit on the baggy side, but def room for a layer underneath. And venting zippers which work. I chose these as an alternative to the Badlands pants, of which I have the jacket. Good stuff, although I have BMW airflow gear when it gets really hot, which is about two months for me.

Really tough to find gear that suits you up for ALL occasions.

I'm not a 1 piece guy, except for racing leathers. Aerostich just feels like a canvas bag to me.

MB>

I have been very happy with the BMW Summer 2 pants. Best testimony I can give is that they have never been uncomfortable even on the very long and hot rides.

Great protective panels for hips and shin areas, the lower legs easily zip off and on when you stop and want shorts.

Pretty certain BMW has newer versions of the Summer Two- got to be good.

Thanks again for the responses....very helpful.

Would like a pant without a separate inner liner for waterproofing and need appropriate crash protection. Just want to throw them on and have appropriate warmth, ventilation, waterproofing, and protection. Asking for too much?

I believe Klim Latitude is one and am checking out the other recommendations.

If anyone can respond to those requirements, in case I have overlooked in previous responses, that would be great. Amazing all the different pants out there since I've last looked years ago.

I'm always interested in hearing why the same protection Marc Marquez or Valentino Rossi wear running MotoGP isn't the same thing anyone needs for "sport touring." Or any other riding.

Yes, you should have CE protectors in knees and hips but you should also either have a one-piece suit or a pants/jacket combination that zips together--you don't want your pants coming off as you're sliding down the road, right?

Every Spring, Roadracing World magazine publishes its Trackday Directory issue wherein it describes the kind of protection you need in gloves, boots, and riding suits. I recommend it.

While the protection would be great, full leathers for sport touring are completely impractical. The one piece leathers I wear for the track weigh 15 lbs. and while they are vented they are still way too hot to wear for any length of time in warm/hot weather.

I responded to many motorcycle crashes as a fire fighter and never saw anyone lose their pants. Shoes would come off on a regular basis, probably over 50% of the time. Jackets didn't seem to ride up as much as you might have thought they would.

The zip together feature is a a good idea, and I believe it can add an extra measure of protection...if you are enough of a contortionist to do the zipping yourself.

I will add that I have yet to see waterproof pants that were also "well vented" and therefore comfortable in heat. Too many compromises can mean less performance in certain areas. Since I ride a small percentage of the time in rain, that is my least concern.

I consider Aerostich suits, and I would assume the pants of the two piece versions too hot for summer use. The Aerostich "Khaki" I mentioned earlier would be ok, but not waterproof for instance. Is the KLIM gear that good? I see they have a zipper down the outside of the leg for venting. Makes a really big opening. Not sure if I want that open if I fall off the bike.

I have worn Aerostich AD-1 pants for several years now and like them very much. The are comfortable and totally waterproof.

Doug

Of the pants I've tested, I'd go with Motoport first by a wide margin (quality, armor coverage, endurance, perceived safety, made in USA) and then BMW Streetguard 3. Streetguard is completely waterproof, and good from about 85 degrees with the liner out, to well below freezing with the liner in.

-MKL

My Motoport overpants, in stretch Kevlar, are the best pants I've owned. If lost or stolen, I'd replace then in an instant.

behind an RT or GTL fairing, they only flow a small amount of air and are hot above 28*C, I guess about 85* American.

Looking to buy Sport touring pants, that are not over pants.

Currently using a pair of Tourmaster over pants for last 12 years. Would like to just throw on pants with maybe a shorts base layer or full length LD Comfort bottom, no jeans, etc., but have protection the pants.

Those that use this kind of pant, can you please help steer me in the right direction for research. Have done some looking, but can never figure out if they need a bottom layer. Is the Klim Latitude in the right direction?

I am 5'11", 170 lbs. Use BMW All Around boots.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The KLIM Badlands pants are waterproof, work in 112 - 32 degree temps, use D30 armor and have 2 knee armor adjustments that keep the knee armor in the proper position should you Peter Pan off the bike.

KLIM prices are ridiculous - past that, you are getting a great piece of 4 season gear.

I wear shorts underneath in the summer and a thin fleece pant in the coldest weather.

Cheers!

IF money is a concern Olympia apparel is tough to beat for the money. If money isn't a concern Klim is high on my list. I own an Aerostich two piece suit, although it's an oversuit, it works very well and is super easy to put on and take off. Doesn't flow much air and can be warm above 75 degrees.

All that being said, I see you're from Maryland. If you're in northern MD, you might wanna make a day trip to the Revzilla store in Philadelphia. The staff is incredible. They know their products incredibly well and work with you to get what it is you're looking for based on your needs and your budget.

If you decide to make the trip to Philly, leave time to visit the Reading Terminal Market. It's about 4 miles away and is a real experience. Every kind of food you can imagine is available. Good luck in your search.

Amazing responses to my question. This forum is incredible.

Am going to BobsBMW to check out different pants as I believe they carry the most variety for this area. But, kith - as you mentioned above, I may also go to Revzilla. Have always wanted to go there in person (always on their website), and my in-laws live in NJ. Will visit both at the same time. Make brownie points with my wife and come home with new pants possibly.

Thx everyone.

Forgot to mention, if you decide to go to Reading Terminal Market and park in the parking garage across the street, make sure you ask whichever vendor you purchasing from to validate your parking ticket. Validated parking tickets are significantly less expensive. Have fun.

Amazing responses to my question. This forum is incredible.

Am going to BobsBMW to check out different pants as I believe they carry the most variety for this area. But, kith - as you mentioned above, I may also go to Revzilla.

Thx everyone.

The folks at Bob's have always been very helpful to me. They have a fairly large selection, and you can try anything on to make sure it works for you.

That being said, they are a local dealer, and Revzilla is bound to have more product for you to choose from.

Let us know what you decide! :thumbsup:

Not only is good protection worth it, but, when it comes to high end equipment like Motoport and Aerostich, if you're not the type to upgrade your gear every few years, it's likely cheaper in the long run to spend the money now and not have to buy it again. Both Aerostich and Motoport will last many, many years and if a panel of fabric needs to be replaced, you can fix what's failed and it will be near new again. They're American made too, if that appeals to you.

Archived