IGNORED

Victory Sport Standard

kltk165

Having owned three over the last 11 years, they're great bikes. Ride very well and require very little maintenance. Basically, put gas in it, change the oil and tires and that's pretty much it.

Curious, why isn't it something you'd consider?

In 2008, I sold my 2004 RT just before it turned 40,000 miles and traded a 2006 HD Wideglide with 17,000 on a Victory Kingpin Tour Deluxe that was new. In 25,000 miles, it needed 6 tires (counting original equip.), 2 plugs, 1 airfilter and oil changes. On the day I traded it for my current 03 K1200RS, while riding to the dealer, I asked myself why I was trading this trouble free bike for the potential PITA of another Beemer. It has not been too much of a PITA, but needs much more care and attention than the Victory ever did.

The Victory was a very sporty tourer. It trounced the HD in every possible performance aspect. It had as much luggage capacity as the RT. It had massive power. I just get itchy after about 3 seasons with one bike, but would never hesitate to have another Victory, or Indian now since they make them too.

I have a neighbor that got rid of his GL1500 and replaced it with a Victory. He likes the Victory better (Yeah I know, duh, he chose it as the replacement.) I got to check it out. I was impressed with the build quality and smoothness, compared to an HD.

I'm not feeling a sport "standard" model though. Almost a sport bike but not quite, and probably not a great touring bike or short trip errand bike.

I'm curious, what niche would this fill? FZ1/FZ6 class?

weight is one reason I never liked their bikes and the reason I avoid HD as well. Why do they weigh so much?

Mister Tee. I'm thinking it would compete in the FZ-09/FJ-09, Triumph Street Triple, R1200R category, MAYBE the KTM SuperDuke if they wanted to go real high HP/Tech. Those kind of bikes. With available hard bags you could travel with it. Windscreens are an obvious accessory.

Having owned three over the last 11 years, they're great bikes. Ride very well and require very little maintenance. Basically, put gas in it, change the oil and tires and that's pretty much it.

Mainly because I don't ride or drive anything American-made. Just my preference.

I'd look at it, but it is doubtful I'd consider buying one. They'd probably stick a giant, heavy in-line air-cooled V-twin in it, making the CoG far too high for my comfort. I've never really liked the looks of most V-Twins, with the exception of Ducati, who seem to do it right.

I'd look at it too. I'm praying for the day when America can build a decent sport-tourer people can afford, instead of letting all this money go to Europe and Japan. We got our act together with cars for the most part - no reason we can't do it with bikes too. I'm of the opinion that Harley should just buy Motus, leverage economies of scale to get that bike down to $25k, and add ABS. I would trade in tomorrow (not because I don't love my RT, but I'd rather have something made here than not made here.)

-MKL

Yeah, I'm watching Motus closely to see how they do as the miles pile up. They're certainly pricey, but, If they do well it might be my next bike. As Moshe noted, not because I don't like my RT just that if there's an American option available that performs as good, or better, I'd likely spend my money here than there. But, the quality has to be there.

Archived