IGNORED

New to me 08 RT

Curt Adams

Hi forum,

Just thought I'd say hi, and show off my new (to me) 08 R1200RT.

image_zpswhvfea82.jpeg

It had 9500 miles on it when I traded in my 2004 Honda ST1300 (and a bunch of $!!!). The Honda was a real nice bike, and a part of me thought "what am I doing? This is a great bike", but I've gotta say that I'm hooked on the rt. The creature comforts are so much nicer, and the handling is amazing. While maybe not quite as powerful, the beemer is plenty fast enough for me.

image_zps6xjmigtc.jpeg

Ive already put almost 1000 miles on it over the last month, and I'm really enjoying it. Anyone in the Ventura County area up for a ride?

Curt

Welcome.

Nice bike and pics.

What he said! :thumbsup:

Pat

Ditto...

Anyone in the Ventura County area up for a ride?

Curt

lOvE ride'n in your area, and so do others from here...

I'll drop ya a PM.

:wave:

Very nice, and welcome!

Looks like the PO of your RT added some sort of a plug to the top tank trim! I am just curious as to what you have plugged in there?

Looks like the PO of your RT added some sort of a plug to the top tank trim! I am just curious as to what you have plugged in there?

Very observant of you! I don't think I would've noticed it in the pic. That's the plug in for the intercom system. Since you brought it up 😎 I wonder what the forum thoughts on this are.

The PO had an Autocom intercom and Garmin 550 gps installed. Since my wife and I have a Bluetooth intercom in our helmets, would I be missing anything if I ditched the whole thing and simply mounted my iPhone on a ram mount ( or similar)? Maybe get a couple bucks for the stuff here or on eBay. Whaddaya think?

Curt

I would dump the Autocom, since you don't need it. As for the Zumo 550, I would keep it on the bike. That, IMHO, is valuable and will be better than any smartphone aps.

Incidentally, I still haven't gotten around to listing my Zumo 550 on eBay yet! This one came off my previous '07 RT, and I have Nav V on my '15 RT.

Hi forum,

Just thought I'd say hi, and show off my new (to me) 08 R1200RT.

While maybe not quite as powerful, the beemer is plenty fast enough for me.

+1 on the power... There is ample of power even for two up riding on these bikes, but the smile on my face when I ride my bike makes up for that. PLUS the miles these can cover in a day is amazing!!

Looks like you also have ESA on it? I like the ease of that on mine, while there are many discussions on the quality of the shock behind it, for me, for now it's fine. Down the road I may upgrade just the shock. :)

Also I echo the zumo, keep it! It's also has the XM puck so you can subscribe to that if you want, maybe the service is still active on it? IIRC however on the BT connection between the 550 and the headset it's mono so you would have to buy a BT dongle or equivalent to get stereo to the headset.

Lots of good riding down there, enjoy!

Welcome.

Nice bike and pics.

What he said! :thumbsup:

Pat

Ditto...

Anyone in the Ventura County area up for a ride?

Curt

lOvE ride'n in your area, and so do others from here...

I'll drop ya a PM.

:wave:

Hey Larry, if you're gonna do a ride let the rest of us know too, so we can meet this new member, and do some riding too.

Spur of the moment ride with a like minded friend. Mulholland Rd. to Stunt Rd. Nice view from the ridge. Kinda smoggy today.

image_zpsegaxvsdt.jpeg

image_zpsugrfl5ci.jpeg

Curt

Welcome, Curt. If you're not careful, the RT will get under your skin. Yes, not quite as powerful as some, but it has plenty of go as well as an incredible balance between its power, handling, brakes and comfort.

Start taking a look at some of the upcoming events for 2016 if you're interested in really stretching its legs (and yours). There's our 31st biannual weekend in Torrey, UT, a mere 660 miles from SoCal and something a few of us (OK, maybe one of us) like to take off at 3AM and arrive at 3PM, and wouldn't mind a riding partner. Spring Torrey in May (there's also a Fall Torrey in Sept) is an incredible event in a place with roads and vistas cut from the multi-colored sandstone strata of southwestern Utah. And this year UnRally 15 (here's the link) will be held in July in Red Lodge, MT, just outside of Yellowstone and near incomparable roads like The Beartooth Highway and The Chief Joseph Highway, not to mention countless other routes that take in the expanse of Big Sky Country. UnRally is a BMWST.com annual event. It's a no-vendor, no-seminar get together designed to get us all in one place to meet, greet, put faces to names, ride and ride and leave with about 100 new friends. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for all the good info. I've always wanted to do some longer distance rides, but I'm not sure if I can get away for a long ride... Kids at home still makes it kinda tough to go for long. So far I've just done day rides of a couple hundred miles, and the RT really makes for an enjoyable time.

Hopefully there will be reminder threads about the 2016 events, and who knows... Maybe I'll be up for it by then.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Curt

Archived