IGNORED

My Bike

TEWKS

No, not reflective. I had a local graphics guy try to match the graphics on the K16GT Sport after finding out that I couldn't get the rear matching graphic scheme of the 15 San Marino Blue RT.

PS..Anyone that would like to show off their WetHead BMW, post away! :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks Mark, yeah the inspiration for styling came from BMW themselves with the K16-Sport. Still hoping that they come out with an RT-S version of the bike. :thumbsup:

Pat

A Bimmer not a Beemer but, the color scheme would be similar.

Pat

I just had a friend photoshop the wheels black for me and wow.... I love it!! I'd upload the pic but I don't know how to resize it.

Did you DIY or have it done. Semi-gloss or Matte?

Did you DIY or have it done. Semi-gloss or Matte?

I had the BMW shop do the work before I picked up the bike, new. They had a local shop do the actual powder-coating. I went with gloss but was thinking that yours may look better matte. :thumbsup:

Pat

• 2 months later...
The dark (black?) valve covers adds to the stealth look, too. Powder coated or anodized?

They're actually carbon fiber case sliders from R&G Racing. Pretty slick looking, though I did have a fitment issue with the left side. The cut along the plug cover was off and it took two replacements to get it acceptable.

They are also semi permanent with the silicone glue used to stick them in place.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/R1200GS/2013/ECS0082C/

Pat

John, I have the same color on my '15 RT. My question is where did you to get the top case to match? I used to think my silver top case looked good on my bike until I just saw yours. Very nice!

Steve

John, I have the same color on my '15 RT. My question is where did you to get the top case to match? I used to think my silver top case looked good on my bike until I just saw yours. Very nice!

Steve

Since most of us don't have the skill or equipment to do a good job of painting, just go and get quotes from automotive paint shop. All that you will need is the color code for your paint in order for the shop to match the color exactly. For an example, the color code for the San Marino Blue of my bike is B51, and it cost me $100 (cash) to get my top-box lid painted! You do need to take the lid apart for the painter, so that he won't have to do any masking, and that is very easy!

67882d1414172812-welcome-show-your-scoots-dsc_1617.jpg

Steve

I actually had the dealership arrange to have it painted when I bought it. They charged me $200 to paint it and it came out great! I understand that the color was a challenge for the paint shop, but ultimately it looks perfect.

John

Quartz Blue is BMW code A18 available at any automotive paint shop or supplier. I bought a 1/2 pint base coat container for about $25. You will also need the clear top coat and appropriate catalysts to activate the paint and clearcoat. Add in a primer/sealer undercoat and you can run up some costs in chemicals. $100-$200 is a very reasonable amount to pay for this job :thumbsup:

Thanks John, your bike looks awesome.

Steve,

Do you know where MotoGhost is? If not, they are up by Deer Valley Airport. They have a painter near them that did my friends top case for $150 cash. It turned out great.

Bill

Bill, no I do not. To be honest I have never heard of them. I am definitely interested though. BMW in Chandler, AZ is not much help assisting me in providing info in getting my top case painted. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Did your friend disassemble the topcase prior to taking it to Motoghost?

Yes we did. It is simple to do with a couple of torques wrenches. I can take it apart for you if need be. The service writer over at BMW of Chandler knows of them. Just google Motoghost and you can find out where they are. Great people to deal with.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, contacted Motoghost. They are awesome to deal with. Hope to have my top case to their painter by weekend. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the info

Steve

I think I'm getting read to pull the trigger and get mine powder coated when I get my Angel GT's put on. Do you know if it your shop had to pull the bearings out of the front wheel and if they had in trouble with that?

Yes they pulled the bearings & replaced them. I thought that was silly being they were new but I guess it takes some force to get them out. The new bearings were actually inexpensive in relation to BMW parts in general.

Good luck and post pics! :thumbsup:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My wheels are done and I love the. I tried to post pics, but I can't figure it out.

If Andy's suggestion don't getcha posting pics, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my email. I will post it if you can email it. :thumbsup:

Pat

Archived