IGNORED

Newbie questions; first of many

Mulepick

I've been riding for 35 years but purchased my first BMW (bike)a few days ago. Used 99 R1100RT.

Is there anywhere online to get a price break on parts?

How do you pull the oil filter w/o buying (what I bet is) an expensive, thin walled, 76mm filter wrench?

What works best to get the blue off the pipes?

Thanks,

Bob

I want to paint it but change to a different BMW color. Where can I find colors w/codes?

russell_bynum
I've been riding for 35 years but purchased my first BMW (bike)a few days ago. Used 99 R1100RT.

Congrats!!

What parts? If you're talking about OEM parts, Chicago BMW offers discounts for internet orders.

How do you pull the oil filter w/o buying (what I bet is) an expensive, thin walled, 76mm filter wrench?

Just buy the wrench. I know people who spend more at friggin' Starbucks every week than I spent on my oil filter wrench.

What works best to get the blue off the pipes?

You can't see the pipes when you're riding, so who cares? thumbsup.gif

Seriously...I don't think there's anything you can do other than having them ceramic coated or something goofy like that.

I want to paint it but change to a different BMW color. Where can I find colors w/codes?

I can't help you with that one.

I bought a cheap plastic oil filter wrench at PEP Boys (or similar) for about a buck ninety-nine. I had to file it down a little to get it to fit. Since it was plastic it was easy to file. It worked. I eventually sprang for a BMW version, just because it is more pleasant to use, but the cheap one did the job. It required a 3/8" drive to turn it.

What parts? If you're talking about OEM parts, Chicago BMW offers discounts for internet orders.

They may offer that, but they have seriously sucked ass on this latest order from them. Bad communication, bad service. I'd avoid them at all costs if possible. YMMV

steve.foote

You must have had an unusual experience, Matt. I order from them all the time and have always had great service.

For my wrench I got it from Auto Zone. Get a metal one, is thin wall so it will fit. Size for me is the 74/76- 14, which has 14 flat sides. This fits the filters I use and removed the stock one that was on the bike. Costs about $4.00. Take bike and ask them to let you take it out and slip it up onto the filter to see if it fits.

russell_bynum
You must have had an unusual experience, Matt. I order from them all the time and have always had great service.

I've used them several times with no issues.

Sometimes it takes a long time to get parts (If they have to be ordered from Germany), and there's no communication when that happens. When I deal with my friendly neighborhood dealer, if something has to be ordered from Germany, they'll tell me so I know that it'll be a while before I see the parts.

IMO, that's the cost of doing business with a mail-order shop vs. a brick-and-mortal establishment...you trade service and communication for lower price.

Of course, there are some exceptions on both sides.

both good points Russ and Steve.

I've dealt with them before and they were ok then, I'm not sure what happened this time as the part was in the big warehouse on one of the coasts...

I wish dealers would handle things like this via drop shipment instead of making us wait for two shipping periods. That would be ideal...

I normally deal with BMW Tampa Bay as those guys are usually really good with the communication side of things, but they sell pretty much at retail so I was trying to shave a $ or two. Lesson learned I suppose.

Either way, enjoy your new bike, my 98 has given me a great deal to think and chat about while I've had it, and I've ridden it more miles in a single year than anything else I've owned.

Some of the larger dealers have parts online for a discount. I do think that supporting your local dealer has some merit, assuming they are a properly run business (seems like most BMW dealers are). My local dealer gives their regular customer 10% off list and has a few publicized sales throughout the year.

I bought a metal cheap-o oil wrench from some chain store (Autozone maybe). I think it was no more than $10. Works fine and needs a 3/8" drive.

Get used to blue pipes. BMW continues the long tradition of using single wall header pipes. They blue. Trying to get it off is a waste of time as whatever success you have removing the blue will be marginal and the next time you ride your bike they will blue again. Beside at any BMW rally the folks are only looking at your odometer and gadgets. High mileage is good, bug splatter and blue pipes get bonus points tongue.gif

You can use Dupont base coat clearcoat if you can't find a Glasurit dealer. Just ask them for their BMW AUTOMOTIVE color codes. The car codes and bike codes are the same. Pick what you like and paint! Make sure to use the entire Dupont system including the recommended sealer or primer. I recently painted some parts on my 04RT and the color match was perfect. Then I got carried away using up most of a quart painting the top box, saddlebags, and even the small black covers over the shock adjuster. Still waiting on the chrome valve covers to show up that I found on Ebay!

I might have to start riding to bars and showing the bike off grin.gif Come home clean it and keep it out of the rain eek.gif

NAWWWW... Ain't gonna happen thumbsup.gif

RTafterwreck006.jpg

Learn to love the blue pipes. It's hardly worth the effort to polish them. They are single wall stainless steel and will re-blue quickly. As they say in Germany,

"German girls won't date you if your pipes aren't blued back to the muffler."

Gail

K&N Makes an oil filter that will fit your bike. It has a nut welded to the base of the filter and all you need is a 17mm wrench to remove it, you probably already have one of those. The Part # is KN-163, fits all 1100s and can be obtained from any auto parts house that sells K&N stuff, most do. <<<<<Softtail>>>>>> thumbsup.gif

Welcome and congratulations! You've found The Place for info and input on your questions. One of the best, most inclusive sites I've found for information on all the Beemers ever produced is here:

BMBikes information

Also try A&S Cycles for a wonderful history section and on-line parts fiche for your bike:

A&S Cycles

Max BMW has a great on-line parts fiche, too:

Max BMW parts fiche

I live in a state that doesn't have a single BMW dealership, and the nearest one is >300 miles away. So, I've oredered a lot of stuff over the years for my bikes from Bob's BMW in Maryland and had great service:

Bob's BMW

Oh yeah, once your chromed pipes are blue they will always be blue. Don't worry about it, just ride it! On the GS, the pipes are stainless steel and turn a lovely color that has been termed "shit brown", so be happy with your beautiful blue pipes!

Cheers!

Doug

Lost of great replies here...there are also great places like beemerboneyard.com for used parts...have bought a lot from them and they rock.

My personal experience has been that Chicago BMW SUCKS!!

Bob's BMW is fantastic.

A&S Customer service is mediocre but I use them because they are closest and get the fastest shipping.

My $.02 and Welcome grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Cameron

Eckhard Grohe

Anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to repaint the tupperware on my R1100RT.. I have this thing for the Biarritz Blue..

Very pretty blue, Rob! I've always like that simulated candy apple that I saw a long time ago on late 80's R's. They've probably used it again, I'm just not familiar with the brand yet (I'm an oilhead, I'm an oilhead, I'm an oilhead...). My '99 is a "rebuild" and the guy did a pretty good job of shooting it black but not good enough for my taste. Also, black bikes in the desert are bad ju ju.

Bought a gen-u-ine BMW filter wrench today fm my local dealer for around $16. Worth it after grinding away my hard plastic Checker one. Bought two plugs for $22 as well. Dang that's high.

Pulled the plugs and they looked OK so I'll keep the new ones for later. Well, they looked OK except for that extra (-) electrode that I snipped off. smile.gif As I was cursing BMW for making me try to find a thin wall, deep, 16mm socket for the plug, it dawned on me that a standard 5/8 plug socket would work and it did.

More issues:

When the bike gets real warmed up, it idles very high (~2200rpm). I hope this isn't normal as stomping first sounds like she's gonna blow. I've got no carbs, points, or timing to check. Not used to this. What does one do? I don't see any OBD slots. Vulcan mind-meld?

Ordered a whopper windscreen along with a few other parts recently.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the help to date.

Bob

Congrats on your new ride.

What’s with the icon? A green and white Spartan? Michigan State?

Check out the excellent literature on this site like the stuff in the FAQ section. Try to find a copy of Mitch’s Tech Daze manual, etc. I be happy to email you a bunch of stuff if you wish.. PM me.

A 250 Honda Elsinore eh? What I learned to ride on!

First thing to check on the fast idle: if the “fast idle” applied (left side, two position lever. Otherwise check idle adjust per instructions. (too much to reprint here)

The valve adjust and throttle body sync are the most common adjustment procedures for this bike, but there are a ton of other things that are easy enough for a person to do if they have the time and the mechanical inclination.

Vulcan mind meld? Maybe you are on to something there……

A LOT of really helpful advise and information is available here. I know I was really impressed when I started the oilhead path a year ago. Make sure you check out one of the Tech Daze to meet others and see first hand how to do things.

Thanks for the info Steve. Yep MSU '77. First thing I could find to fill up the blank avatar space. Maybe I'll get a shot of me in a corner dragging a knee to replace it.

Good info, I've copied it and will do research before posting next time.

Tks,

Bob

Archived