IGNORED

Buying 1996 RT

Solidrick

I am looking to buy a 1996 RT with 26K miles.

The bike appears very clean.

Are there any particular problems I should be on the lookout for?

I thank the BMW " Collective" in advance!

I am about to be assimilated....again!

Rick

I sold my 96 R1100RT to buy a 2002 R1150RT. I swear the 96 was a better bike. In the 30k I put on the bike nothing went wrong. I think you will be very happy.

If the bike you're looking at has a bit of a surge, don't let that put you off as it is easily corrected with a Techlusion box.

Cheers,

I don't recall whether it occurred in the '96 MY or thereafter, but there was an improvement made to the transmission of the RT, which is something you would prefer. Maybe others will know more exactly.

Tom

Steve_Reinig

First of all I love my 96 RT that now has nearly 140,000 miles. First of all if you have surge it fades away on it's own by the 40,0000 mile mark, at least it did on mine. I replaced the transmission at about 90,000 and clutch at about 80,000. My final drive gave out at about 62,000 miles. Since I have replaced it I now change the final drive oil every 6,000 miles and have no tell tale signs that it shows any sign of failure. In its old age, it keeps getting smoother even when the valves need adjustment. BTW rode it to Alaska last summer. Started that trip with 118,000. No mechanical problems at all. Good luck!!

I am looking to buy a 1996 RT with 26K miles.

The bike appears very clean.

Are there any particular problems I should be on the lookout for?

I thank the BMW " Collective" in advance!

I am about to be assimilated....again!

Rick

I bought my '96 last year with 36K on the odo. I think they are still the best looking of the RT's. (Of course I'm biased crazy.gif). The tranny is very smooth on mine, and it runs like a top. I put 6000 miles on it last year (not much by this boards standards). I don't know what other guys experiences with them have been, but I enjoy the heck outa this one!

Rick,

The transmisson is probably the biggest problem. I bought mine in Oct of 95, one of the first. A problem with 3rd gear. It feels lke its jumping a tooth when hard on the gas. And 2nd gear maybe diffucult to engage fully. The tranny was replaced under warranry at 33k miles along with the clutch and leaky oil seal.

My second 96 R-RT I bought had 29k on it and is showing the same symptoms. This one was made 512 units after my first one. I don't know if I'll pop for the rebuilt tranny from BMW on not.

Also the neutral switch has a tendancy to quit and the neutral lite won't go on. Then you have to pull in the clutch lever to start. Also the safty switch on the clutch lever sticks and the bike won't start. When both are out at the same time you have to park on a hill.

The rims are kinda soft so be careful of potholes and rocks.

I really like this bike. I had 135k on the first one when I tolalled it and couldn't do without one

Wishing you may happy miles,

Carl

Bought my 96'RT almost 2 years ago with just under 10K and now have just under 24K. (don't ride as much as I'd like)

This is a first for me in a couple of ways:

1st BMW

1st non-cruiser in 20+ years

I love this bike. I have spent the last 18 months learning a whole new style of riding (twisties...YEAH!) and have so-far been very pleased with the performance.

I visit this board often and have learned much from other's experience. I have read of many "pros" with the 96's but only 1-2 "cons" (early transmission issues, and some seal problems that leave your clutch fouled with oil.)

I have experienced the "jumped tooth" problem once but thought it was something I did....rolling on throttle w/o touching clutch and suddenly a sharp jolt from the tranny. Now I know it's probably not something I did. I will pay attention to regular maintenance and deal with problems as they arise.

I am noticing the bike gets smoother with the additional miles. Still uses a touch of oil, but expect that to stop around 25K as others experienced and then get reeeeeeeealy smooth.

Go for it. Good luck and hope you are as happy as I have been.

As others have mentioned the early RTs are actually preferred my many for several reasons. The only potential negative issue specifically related to the 1996 model year is the tendency for some transmissions to suffer early shift fork wear, resulting in the 'skipping a tooth' feeling after shifting into (usually) second or third gear. There were some mods made in the '97 and later transmissions to address this (although some of those changes - such as going from tapered to sealed ball bearings - were not considered beneficial by some.) The shifting problems affected a relatively small number of bikes but nonetheless the problem did exist.

Bottom line, I wouldn't reject a '96 model for this reason but do test ride the bike and make sure that the transmission functions properly.

Thanks to The Collective!

The assimilation of BMW minds is awe inspiring!

I will be picking up the 96 RT on March 5 in Philadelphia, and then driving it for 1183 miles home to Miami, Fla.

I will make it a Saddlesore ride (IBA) while I am at it.

Rick

Archived