IGNORED

Oil Filter Crossover

beemer2000

Couldn't find this in the archives. Sorry if it has also been worn out but can anyone tell me if I can go to NAPA and get a filter to fit my oilhead (R1100R '98)? confused.gif

NAPA 1348

Every Auto Zone I have been to has had in stock the Mobil 1 (M-102) and Bosch (3330) oil filter to fit Oilheads.

No_Twilight
NAPA 1348

Every Auto Zone I have been to has had in stock the Mobil 1 (M-102) and Bosch (3330) oil filter to fit Oilheads.

Hmmmm. I'm corn fused. I've been using the Bosch 72161 and it workds fine, last a long time (6k miles). But now I see 3330 recommended as the correct bosch filter. I see that the 3330 fits hondas and kawasakis. Does that mean Honda filters fit out oilheads? I'm pretty sure I found the 72161 as a filter for a late model chrysler product (dodge neon, I think) that lots of the other oilhead oil filters are listed as a replacement for. But now I look up the oil filter for a 97 neon and get 3330. Does anybody know the difference between the two? And BTW, google tells me that the 72161 fits an 02 Lexus GS300. --jerry

No_Twilight

I had to run some errands and stopped by Kragen and Pep Boys. Found the Bosch 3330 on the shelf at Kragen for $5.99. Also found the Purolator Pure One PL10241 at Pep boys for the same price. The guy (above) who cut up all the oil filters really like the PUre One so I think I'll try that one next.

Cheers,

Jerry

Paul Mihalka

Any oil filter that fits a Dodge Neon or a '8x SAAB (and many other cars) will fit a oilhead or a pre-2004 K bike.

K&N makes an oil filter with a nut welded to the bottom. All you need is a 17mm wrench to remove or tighten said filter. Most auto part sell K&N air and oil filters. The part number for the 100 motor is KN-163<<Softtail>>>>teeth.gif

No_Twilight
Fram 6063 works for me but nobody carries it.

It also costs the same as a BMW filter and FRAM is known as a low cost filter provider...doesn't add up. --jerry

SAAB93driver

Some of the Filters that fit BMW Oilhead motorcycles.

NAPA Gold Oil Filter #1348

Mobil 1 Oil Filter line : "M1 - 102".

AMSOIL: SMF-122

AC DELCO: PF-53

FRAM: PH-3614, PH6063

Hastings: 157A, LF157

Motorcraft: FL-271, FL-793

Purolator: FCO-201, PER-241

Wix: 51348, 51785

MANN W712/38

SAAB 9144445

Perf-form BMW-1

Perf-form, Fram PH6063 and Amsoil are actually listed to fit the BMW motorcycle the others are automotive filters with similar bypass valve settings to the OEM filter.

Note that the BMW OEM filter does not have an anti drainback valve as it is not needed due to the vertical orientation of the installed filter, the auto filters have them, it doesn't hurt but doesn't really help either - it's not a selling point IMO.

Generally this list also fits Saturn and late model (mid '90's to '02) SAAB automotive applications and other brands that interchange should have similar on paper specifications.

Use at your own risk - I have successful experience with MANN, SAAB, AC and Perf-form but YMMV.

Archived