IGNORED

Question-Aftermarket Horns

flyingreg

I recently installed a pair of Magnum Blaster Horns, both Hi & Lo tone (138 decibels!!). Very easy install on the 1150RT, bolted right up to stock brackets. The horns work great, will definitely wake the most inattentive driver self consumed with the morning paper or cell phone use. I highly recommend these, THEY ARE LOUD BEYOND BELIEF!

The horns called for a 10A fuse. I switched the stock 7.5A fuse for a 10A fuse.

My question is, will the stock wiring handle the additional 2.5A load without overheating? 2.5A doesn't sound like much, but don't wish to have to hunt down a burned wire that has melted to ground when I am somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Any electrical gurus know the load limits of the stock wiring for the horn circuit? All input is welcome.

TIA!

See the post by Paul De about using a relay for horns.

You ought to use a relay. The existing wiring becomes the control circuit for the relay, and the fuse is a nonissue.

Do not ever try to cheat Mother Nature or the Gods of Physics, to whichever you pray when kneeled checking your oil. If the wiring calls for a 7.5 amp fuse, use a 7.5 amp fuse. Yes, there is a safety factor built in, but mistakes can be hot, smelly, costly, and potentially painful.

Pilgrim

Archived