IGNORED

Battery Cover Tupperware

moshe_levy

So, that tupperware that covers the battery, held on with two T25 Torx bolts and a tab that fits into a rubber grommet....

Does anyone have any success keeping that damn tab in its place? I'm on my second lost grommet now. What a stupid design! They could have just put a recessed T25 in there, too - but noooooo........

-MKL

Same problem but my BMW dealer can't figure out which gromment to order. I just stuck one in temporarily from the local hardware store...yep dumb and problematic. When they figure out the part number I think I'll get a dozen as going to need them over time.

So, that tupperware that covers the battery, held on with two T25 Torx bolts and a tab that fits into a rubber grommet....

Does anyone have any success keeping that damn tab in its place? I'm on my second lost grommet now. What a stupid design! They could have just put a recessed T25 in there, too - but noooooo........

-MKL

The probably copied the one on my Honda...

It's not just a round gromment...it's some odd thing that only BMW would source. The round hardware store version only barely holds and won't last long. Going to go to the BMW shop tomorrow and try to get them to figure out what to order....

A little vaseline on the post makes the grommets work much easier. Which keeps from pushing them out the backside.
I would use silicone, spit, ky. Vaseline has a deleterious effect on rubber.
A little vaseline on the post makes the grommets work much easier. Which keeps from pushing them out the backside.
I would use silicone, spit, ky. Vaseline has a deleterious effect on rubber.

Yep! Silicone grease is the proper material to use. Same stuff that one uses on o-ring. You can pick up a small tub at your local hardware store, usually in the plumbing section.

• 2 weeks later...

ok....I am now self educated on this uniquely shaped grommet. My cover would open up on the front when at freeway speed...annoying. I had visions of duct tape holding it on my new bike....I went to the shop, they ordered me a new one. When it came in I watched while they put it on. All fixed...Nope. Got on the freeway popped open. I went home and started looking at it closely.....believe it or not orientation of the grommet matters. I learned this by taking off the panel, putting the grommet on the little plastic prong and rotating it. Low and behold if it is one way, it is loose and will pop out. If you have it oriented correctly it spreads out similar to a wall picture hanger. I ordered 4 to keep in my bag as suspect this grommet will be a problem over time. Apparently what caused it to fail the first time was a tear in the grommet. I suspect that happened at the 6k service and they didn't know it. 4 for $5.20 but they come from the motherland. Next time you are at your shop, suspect yo should get a couple and keep them on hand.

Good idea. At the rate I'm going 12k service will be soon unless it snows or freezes, so I'll ask them for some warranty grommets then. Almost 10,000 miles since first week of August. It's the best bike I've ever owned.

-MKL

Archived