IGNORED

Headlamp not working

chrismckay

Hello Guys,

On my 2012 R1200RT full beam and flash has stopped working.

There was no warning illuminated in the display area to indicate that a lamp was out.

I changed the bulb anyway, but its still not working.

Any thoughts or advice on finding the fault???

Chris....

Have you had the switches replaced yet?

Hello Firenailer,

No I havent had the switches replaced, is this a common problem?

Chris...

Morning Chris

Do you have the engine running when testing for headlights working?

Hello DirtRider,

Yes its the same with the engine running.

I first noticed it when I flashed an oncoming motorcycle by way of a greeting instead of a wave and noticed that there was no blue illumination in the instrument cluster indicating that I had used the flash control. I then tried full beam and nothing again. There were no faulty bulb lights on either, I took the precaution and replaced the bulb this morning but still nothing...

Morning chrismckay

That might be a difficult one to diagnose at home.

The bike's ZFE computer actually controls the headlights with the headlight operating all the time the engine is running.

The high beam & flash to pass are handlebar switch controlled though.

It is possible for the handlebar switch's to fool the computer so don't count that completely out but even with a bad handlebar switch (somewhat common with the newer 1200RT switches) you should still have low beam lighting.

Do you have anything else hooked to the lightening circuit like under-seat fuse box or other accessory?

Morning chrismckay

That might be a difficult one to diagnose at home.

The bike's ZFE computer actually controls the headlights with the headlight operating all the time the engine is running.

The high beam & flash to pass are handlebar switch controlled though.

It is possible for the handlebar switch's to fool the computer so don't count that completely out but even with a bad handlebar switch (somewhat common with the newer 1200RT switches) you should still have low beam lighting.

Do you have anything else hooked to the lightening circuit like under-seat fuse box or other accessory?

I still have low beam and sidelights just full beam and flash function that do not work.

It may well be the switch then, what you think?

I still have low beam and sidelights just full beam and flash function that do not work.

Afternoon chrismckay

If you still have low beam then, yes, very possibly the switch (or a broken wire to/from the switch).

Talk to you rdealer as BMW has been replacing a LOT of those handlebar switches under good will warranty.

Afternoon chrismckay

If you still have low beam then, yes, very possibly the switch (or a broken wire to/from the switch).

Talk to you rdealer as BMW has been replacing a LOT of those handlebar switches under good will warranty.

Thanks for the info DirtRider, I shall call BMW in the morning and post up how I get on...

There is a recall on both swithes. Warranty or not. The recall follows the life of the bike. That's the first place I would go. All they do is run the VIN on your bike.

There is a recall on both swithes. Warranty or not. The recall follows the life of the bike. That's the first place I would go. All they do is run the VIN on your bike.

Evening 6speedTi

I didn't realize BMW turned this into an actual recall. I knew there was a replacement campaign on the switches but haven't heard of a recall.

When did BMW start sending out the recall letters?

Hello Guys,

So I called the local dealership (Scotland) and explained the fault that I am having with the full beam and flash function. I also mentioned that I had been made aware from other owners that BMW has had a campaign of replacing these switches as an act of goodwill on post 2010 models due to the number of faults from customers.

The dealer said he was unaware of this and also did a check against the VIN number and said that there was no recalls or notes on the system to alert them of a problem. He said what they could do was to investigate the problem themselves and write a report to BMW about their findings and also the general condition and mileage and service history of the bike and ask them to provide a goodwill replacement.

So it would appear that it isnt an automatic replacement, but if they have replaced some out of goodwill surely they must replace all that lie within their guidelines??

Modify message

Evening 6speedTi

I didn't realize BMW turned this into an actual recall. I knew there was a replacement campaign on the switches but haven't heard of a recall.

When did BMW start sending out the recall letters?

I referred to it as a recall but maybe it's a campaign. Either way BMW will replace them if your VIN is on the list. When I brought my bike to my dealer earlier this year for something they ran the VIN for any open campaigns, recalls and so on. The switches popped up. So I had them replaced again with the latest ones. Maybe recall is not what BMW calls it but they are replacing them no questions asked.

Hi Chris,

Sorry I haven't looked at this site in a while. It may turn out that the switch isn't your problem but it's a good place to start. BMW is changing them at no charge. My first set went bad after the 3 yr warranty ( windshield stopped operation, cruise speed got erratic and finally wouldn't set, and the worst problem was that on a hot sunny day hitting the ignition switch did nothing.

Oddly even though the new switches worked fine, when I had it in for Service a couple of weeks ago the computer said to change the switches, so they did them again. Hopefully a switch will clear your problem!

Archived