IGNORED

Bad oil leak

Parrothead

Hi all,

96RT, 58K miles. Have a bad oil leak, possibly a head gasket (not valve cover gasket). I haven't pulled tupperware to find the exact location, put that will come soon. Oil is present on the front and lower part of the cylinder, and the engine. Drips off onto the cat and burns off at start-up. Love that odor!!!!! For you experienced individuals, if it is a head gasket, is this a difficult replacement for a somewhat handy person like myself, or should I just let the shop handle it. Also, never had the heads torqued, can this be the reason and can that operation be performed with valve covers removed (i.e., quick fix). Any other ideas as to the source and what I should be looking for? Ideas on cost at the shop?

As always, thanks in advance for the input.

Alan

If it were me, I would get some engine degresser and spritz's off the motor, start it up and try to pin point the leak before tearing into something that extreme.

Which side do you see oil? a common leak on the left is the oil filler cap & seat orings.

Just my 2cents worth.

Dave

Thanks for the prompt replies. Hope its not that seal. Leak is from the cylinder without filler plug. That plug leaks but I can live with that. thumbsup.gif I agree, I need to pull tupperware and spray it down...........soon! It was really smokin' this morning!!!

Just went through this with my 95GS - turned out to be the head gasket (left side). Not a real hard job if that's what you got.

never had the heads torqued

Yeah, that's not good.

Once they start leaking it is hard to get them to stop. Might slow it down some though. If you replace head gasket you should retorque the heads properly after 600 miles.

Any other ideas as to the source and what I should be looking for? Ideas on cost at the shop?

I had a leak like that on the left side of my '96 last year and thought it was a base gasket also. When I took off the plastic, it turned out to be the porcelain had cracked on the oil sending unit that sits above the cylinder. I pulled the switch off and the local BMW auto dealership carried the switch for less money than even ChiBMW sold it for. Easy fix for me. Good luck.

George

Thanks for all the input guys. Bikes are so much fun. When and if I do it myself, I'll let you all know how it goes. First thing is to clean it off and find the source but it sure does sound like the head gasket is the culprit. But, now the jury thinks it could be the oil sending unit.... hmmmmm? Is that on the bottom part of the cylinder? Wonder how long I can go? Will it blow and leave me stranded? Timing is not good. Wish this happened in December so I could have had more time with it. Hate not being able to ride. Guess I'll have to get my 1990 Honda Accord with 208K back from my girlfriend during the down time, she'll be pissed. We all know what that means. smirk.gif

Peter_Doege

I'm going through similar hassles with my 1996 R1100R.

I hosed and scrubbed the engine tonight, and I'll degrease it tomorrow night.

I burned 3/4 quart of oil in 300 miles last weekend.

Sigh.

I am hoping for a simple fix to present itself, but until I clean everything and then diagnose the leak I will not know what is going on.

Peter

I just bought a 97RT with 31k and it has a right side oil leak. The previous owners dealer told them it was a base gasket.I am used to doing my own repairs but either head or base, it looks like cake to replace.

LD

CMWingfield

I don't believe anyone's suggest this part of finding a leak, but once you've cleaned the engine off, if you'll dust the leak area down with some talc, then run the engine you can see the origin of the oil leak much better. And if the talc has a fragrance, the smell will mask that burnt oil odor! grin.gif

Mike

I don't believe anyone's suggest this part of finding a leak, but once you've cleaned the engine off, if you'll dust the leak area down with some talc, then run the engine you can see the origin of the oil leak much better. And if the talc has a fragrance, the smell will mask that burnt oil odor! grin.gif

Mike

An aerosol can of Foot Power is much easier. Just spray the area and watch for oil tracks. smile.gif

Mick

One more thought...if the inner valve cover gasket around the spark plug leaks, it looks like a head gasket leak. When you remove the valve cover, pay attention to the small gasket in the center. This is a common leak.

Clive Liddell

Alan,

If your problem is not the small inner valve cover gasket then I have found an occasional re-torque stops any weeping at the cylinder head gasket. Please re-torque exactly as per manual though! (Occasional = ~40000 miles and only if necessary).

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I have a little work to do, tupperware comes off tonight, maybe a spray-down...........job will go much easier with a Corona and some Buffett playing in the garage. Enjoy the weekend everyone thumbsup.gif

Peter_Doege

Well, I found my leak.

The oil pressure sender is really pouring out oil and there is a small leak from the bottom front of the alternator support assembly.

When the dealer opens Tuesday I'll get the parts and put them in.

Peter

No_Twilight
Well, I found my leak.

The oil pressure sender is really pouring out oil and there is a small leak from the bottom front of the alternator support assembly.

Peter

Glad it was something simple to repair. It frustrates me that the dealers are closed Monday, probably just to inconvenience weekend wrenchers. --Jerry

Actually, It goes back to the old Mom & Pops days when the shops work Sat. Raced on Sunday, & Recouped or Traveled back home on Monday.

DaveyMac eek.gif

Well, I found my leak.

Peter

Give the BMW number written on the oil sender unit to the local BMW auto dealer. It's cheaper from them and if he doesn't have it, he can get it in a couple of days. Not only that, but they're open on Monday.

George

I got mine cleaned up totay. It looks like a valve cover gasket. A wee better than the base gasket the dealer diagnosed it as.

Peter_Doege

>Glad it was something simple to repair.

Funny you should say that. I misread the torque values in my Chiltons and snapped off a bolt in the block. Now I have to pull the alternator support assembly to get the stinking stub out.

Woe is me!

Serves me right trusting a book over my feelings. For future reference, the 6mm hex bolts are 9nm, not 20nm.

I have the tank off now, tomorrow I will pull the alternator and then the support assembly.

Talk about making a molehill into a mountain. smile.gif

Peter

Peter,

Sorry for your misfortune.....bad news. Hey, but livin' in sunny Florida and workin' on a bike is not that bad. I spent 2 years in Key West before migrating to Vegas. Anyway, my leak is a head gasket. Went to retorque the head this weekend, all was within spec so I don't think it will help. Depending on how bad it gets this summer, I just may let it go until next winter. Thanks for all the replies and information.

alan

Archived