IGNORED

MotoGP! OMG! (Spoiler Alert)

EffBee

If you didn't get to watch the MotoGP race from Philip Island, you missed out on one of the greatest motorcycle races of the past 10 years. Absolutely epic!

Marquez and the speed of the Honda are back on top. Lorenzo can make that Yamaha do magic. But as fast as the Hondas are, the acceleration and speed of Iannone's Ducati is second to none (plus Iannone gets credit for the pass of the year). And Rossi did everything he could but could only manage fourth. 1.5 seconds covered them all, but it was much closer than that.

Best dry race of the year, fantastic.

ianone podium well deserved, I don't know how he made that double pass.

The Duc is unbeatable in a drag race.

Great race.

Do all of the factories run inline 4's these days, or does Ducati have some kind of V-2? (I have no cable TV so will have to wait for YouTube for race coverage, sadly).

...does Ducati have some kind of V-2? (I have no cable TV so will have to wait for YouTube for race coverage, sadly).

Some kind of V-2. :-D

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qiBQuFFDU

Not available - copyright. Bas****s

Yeah. I couldn't believe it was up. I almost wrote: "Watch it quick, it's going to be pulled down." I got to watch the whole race. FANTASTIC.

A Ducati V-4? Who'd a thunk? I had no idea... thanks for pointing that out.

After those displays of relentless acceleration, I suppose we can expect to see a detuned version in the showroom at some point. Because, obviously, we all NEED to go faster on the street than we already do...

aggieengineer

What a thrill it would be to sit in the shop and watch one of those engines being assembled. The science and technology on display at these events is truly remarkable. The likely eventual passing of the internal combustion engine is saddening. Hydrogen anyone?

A Ducati V-4? Who'd a thunk? I had no idea... thanks for pointing that out.

After those displays of relentless acceleration, I suppose we can expect to see a detuned version in the showroom at some point. Because, obviously, we all NEED to go faster on the street than we already do...

Ducati offered a limited production road going version, call the Desmosedici RR with the V4 in 2007-2008.

Do all of the factories run inline 4's these days, or does Ducati have some kind of V-2? (I have no cable TV so will have to wait for YouTube for race coverage, sadly).

The Honda and the Ducati and I think the Aprilla are V-4.

The Yamaha and Suzuki are inline 4.

Next year's KTM may be a V-4.

Even better than the MotoGP race were the Moto 2 and Moto 3 races. If you can't find the videos, check the results report on the Moto GP web site.

The bird strike early in the race could have been disastrous.

The gull might argue that it was disastrous.

Andrea-Iannone-of-Italy-and-the-Ducati-Team-hits-a-seagull-during-the-2015-MotoGP-of-Australia.jpg

Note fairing damage in front of throttle.

Closest racing I've seen in MotoGP. Not a dull moment from the start all the way to the very end.

I took a bird off top of helmet once, going slower of course and a smaller bird, but ducking same as Iannone. Pain down neck muscles for sure.

Looking at what is now a 2nd set of winglets on the Ducati, I wonder why other teams aren't experimenting with custom aerodynamic aids to increase down force (traction) and/or stability? It seems logical particularly when you are regularly exceeding 100-150 mph and see over 200 at top end.

Lorenzo used a wing in Australia, and I think the previous race. Rossi has used them in practice, but not in a race. Apparently they are not a clear benefit. That down force might help in heavy braking, but I think most of the top riders are already stressing the front tire to the max. When the bike is leaned over, that "down" force becomes down & side force. At 150 mph, with your elbow and knee skimming the asphalt and the bike at a sixty degree lean, do you really want anything else pushing sideways?

motogp-rider-maverick-vinales-suzuki-deforms-its-front-tyre-as-he-enters-a-turn-hard.jpg

There was some talk that the wings do help with wheelie prevention, reducing electronic intervention. The trade-off there is probably more rear wheel spin. TANSTAAFL

Archived