IGNORED

Unique oil change question--no filter.

Birdman40205

The oil/filter in my 1100rs was changed about 600 miles/11months ago. In a "unique" situation where doing a complete oil change was not possible, would there be any extremely negative effects from just dumping fresh oil into the bike with no filter change for my journey home? Is is safe to assume fresh oil is still better than no oil change?

As always, thank you for opinions . . .

LEm in KY

Is is safe to assume fresh oil is still better than no oil change?

I suppose. But why would you change it anyway at 600 miles/11 months?

I had to do that once when I couldn't find my oil filter wrench. Just make sure you don't overfill the engine. I put in 3.5 qts instead of the full 4 and the level was pretty close to target.

I was just offering that for informational purposes. The bike sat on a dealers lot for a long time, with the owner and his wife riding it occasionally just to keep the fluids circulated and battery charged. Im taking it on a long trip, and want to put fresh oil in it at my destination for the ride home. Since these bikes intimidate me, I am prone to asking questions long-time owners will find kind of dumb! :)

I had to do that once when I couldn't find my oil filter wrench. Just make sure you don't overfill the engine. I put in 3.5 qts instead of the full 4 and the level was pretty close to target.

Great information!! I assumed as much, but the amount you gave was very helpful! I'll be in your area(Philly, sort of close??) next weekend. First long BMW trip, hope everything goes well . . . We'll see

Thank you for replies!

I do that in my spousal units' bike. She rides maybe two tank fulls a season. I change oil each fall. Change filters every other year.

If her miles were all highway, I'd probably only do the oil every other year as well. But, as many of her miles are trips of less than 10 miles, I don't like to have the crud that builds up at non operating temps sitting around in the bike.

1982 Yam XJ750 with 17,000 miles and motor seems in good order so must be something right.

My son works for a large international vehicle/engine manufacturer. The engineer in lubrication says there is no need for an oil filter on a modern engine. In many respects, they are fitted only to placate 'old school' owners, like us! Once the filter starts to remove bits of bearing and other engine parts, the engine is done.

At some point, they will be eliminated from engines with no ill effect. So, change the oil without the filter and sleep well!

The oil/filter in my 1100rs was changed about 600 miles/11months ago. In a "unique" situation where doing a complete oil change was not possible, would there be any extremely negative effects from just dumping fresh oil into the bike with no filter change for my journey home? Is is safe to assume fresh oil is still better than no oil change?

As always, thank you for opinions . . .

LEm in KY

No problem but start with three quarts of oil since you've already got oil in the filter. Bring it slowly to no more that halfway up the sight glass.

My son works for a large international vehicle/engine manufacturer. The engineer in lubrication says there is no need for an oil filter on a modern engine. ...

I've always wondered if oil filters were really necessary. None of my old VW bugs had oil filters and they all ran over 100K miles without problems. Yeah, I know...modern engines have much tighter clearances in bearings, etc. But still...

My son works for a large international vehicle/engine manufacturer. The engineer in lubrication says there is no need for an oil filter on a modern engine. In many respects, they are fitted only to placate 'old school' owners, like us! Once the filter starts to remove bits of bearing and other engine parts, the engine is done.

At some point, they will be eliminated from engines with no ill effect. So, change the oil without the filter and sleep well!

:)

Its funny you mention this. My Honda PCX scooter doesn't have a filter. It just has a little screen they suggest checking occasionally. Its "just" a scooter, but still, it is a seriously hi-tech item!

Again, I appreciate everyone who takes time to answer my dopey inquiries!

John Ranalletta

In the late 70's, I drove a Fiat Sports Spyder. One of its features, besides the unibody rust that caused the cars to break in half across the floor plan, was a centrifugal oil "filter". Just mucked it out during each change. What a horrible car that was.

_vyrn_2785_vyr_7880130234.jpg

I was just offering that for informational purposes. The bike sat on a dealers lot for a long time, with the owner and his wife riding it occasionally just to keep the fluids circulated and battery charged. Im taking it on a long trip, and want to put fresh oil in it at my destination for the ride home. Since these bikes intimidate me, I am prone to asking questions long-time owners will find kind of dumb! :)

Not a dumb question. My somewhat snarky comment was to make my point that I don't think your current oil has degraded much. I'd ride her home. :thumbsup:

Archived