IGNORED

2006 R1200RT brake failure light flashing

xoomerite

Riding along Friday night, when the red triangle starts lights up and the brake failure light comes on and flashes. I have brakes. I stop and shut the bike down and start it back up. Still have the red triangle and flashing light.

Stopped to get coffee. After about 15 minutes, I start the bike and no lights. I ride for about 5 minutes and the triangle lights and the flashing light comes back on. I decide that I should take it home.

At another stop, the lights are off after the bike sits for about 15 minutes. The triangle and flashing brake failure lights come back on after about 5 minutes riding. I still have brakes, speedometer, cruise control. Nothing else seems amiss.

I serviced the ABS and wheel circuits as part of normal service about 2,000 miles ago. I generally do this service annually. Bike has 118,000 miles on it. I replaced the battery at 102,000 miles in February 2015.

I have an appointment to have the fault codes pulled tomorrow, 10/14.

My guess is that the ABS module has died.

What else might this be? What are my options?

Afternoon xoomerite

It could be a number of things (all wild guesses) so get the failure codes then you will know without the guessing.

May be, just may be, it's just the brake fluid level.

Those Bosch i-ABS units seem very sensitive to it but diagnostics can help out (the fault code is something along the lines of "Low fluid level in reservoir X").

If you have normal power braking when the brake failure light is on, it may not be the ABS module (whew!). Symptom of failing servo ABS module is "limp mode" high-effort, non-power braking. Despite good maintenance 118k is a lot of miles on a complex braking system. Crossing fingers!

I just returned from the dealer where the mechanic pulled the fault codes. The relevant ones are ABS: Internal Fault and Brake Fluid Low. The computer did not show that the faults were currently present.

During the ride to the dealer, the lights did not light. The bike operated normally.

The mechanic speculated that the inside rear pad looks a bit thin and may be the cause of the lights flashing. There were no lights flashing on the ride home.

Since I happen to have a set of rear pads on hand, I will just replace the pads and move on.

• 2 months later...

I replaced the rear pads. 3,000 miles have passed. This weekend, I got the flashing light again. I still had brakes, so I just rode to my destination. When I left the light came on again after a while, but I rode on. I did discover that although I had brakes with the front lever (linked brakes) I had no rear brakes.

When I got home, I pulled the seat to check the fluid level. It was full. With the bike sitting in the garage, I had rear brakes. I pulled the caliper, checked to make sure the pin the pads ride on was still smooth. It was. The metal surface of the pads still have solid paint on them, so they aren't sticking to the pistons. The piston surfaces are smooth, but dusty.

With the ignition on, pressing the foot brake or pulling in the front brake makes all the right noises and activates the brakes.

I measured the disk when this first happened, and learned that it is at the minimum. I had planned to replace it in January 2016. I will do that in the next few days.

Still can't imagine what the problem is.

I just returned from the dealer where the mechanic pulled the fault codes. The relevant ones are ABS: Internal Fault and Brake Fluid Low. The computer did not show that the faults were currently present.

Morning xoomerite

I seriously doubt that your problem is thin brake rotors as the ABS warning system has no way to monitor that.

By the failure codes they pulled it sounds like you either have low brake fluid level in one of your UNDER FUEL TANK brake fluid reservoir's (the ones inside the ABS controller) OR you have a basic failure in the ABS controller (usually a pressure switch).

Your next move should probably be to remove the fuel tank then verify that both ABS controller reservoir's are at the proper fluid level.

If the fluid level isn't the issue then you will probably have to have your ABS controller repaired (possibly from a place like Module Masters) but you would have to remove it & send it out to them.

I checked the fluid levels in the ABS unit. One was 6 cc low, the other was 8 cc high. I doubt that that amount would matter.

Have you checked your ABS sensor cables? If they rub against the rotor or something else, that will throw a light and cause the ABS to not work.

Have you checked your ABS sensor cables? If they rub against the rotor or something else, that will throw a light and cause the ABS to not work.

Morning Ponch

That should have trapped a failure code indicating that.

The codes the dealer puller were-- "The relevant ones are ABS: Internal Fault and Brake Fluid Low".

There was a 3,000 mile interval before this last occurrence. The biggest difference is that now I have no rear brake to speak of when the light flashes.

I am considering flushing the rear circuit and ABS again, then seeing what happens.

If you're now losing power assist on the rear brake the ABS controller could be failing. That was the first symptom on my 2006 RT and flushing/maintenance will have no effect. Your dealer should be able to confirm or rule out a ABS controller failure while the rear power brake is now out.

"verify that both ABS controller reservoir's are at the proper fluid level". Where on unit & how ??? I had my modulator repaired & I installed on my 07 r1200rt.I flushed & bled system. Ignition on & light flashes. On stand, running, in gear, flashing & no ABS. Will put on tank & ride it. Correct procedure ??? Thnx, Bob

Went to the dealer today to pull the fault codes. "Rear wheel circuit pressure error". So it appears that the ABS unit is toast.

What would be nice is a solution that does not require $2150.00 part.

Went to the dealer today to pull the fault codes. "Rear wheel circuit pressure error". So it appears that the ABS unit is toast.

What would be nice is a solution that does not require $2150.00 part.

Evening xoomerite

Call Module Masters as I believe they (now) have a supply source for those internal pressure sensors. They can give you a price on repair of your ABS module. (way cheaper than a new one)

Last I heard (2 years ago) when mine went out the same way was the dealer will not sell to you, they have to install it. So add labor to that parts value. :cry:

When the 1150s abs shuts down there aren't enough brakes to slow you down, let alone stop you. It happened to me when my abs quit coming off a highway ramp at speed. Think of the early cars with power brakes, what happens when driving along and your engine suddenly stalls, you end up pushing the pedal with both feet praying you stop in time.

Don_Eilenberger
"verify that both ABS controller reservoir's are at the proper fluid level". Where on unit & how ??? I had my modulator repaired & I installed on my 07 r1200rt.I flushed & bled system. Ignition on & light flashes. On stand, running, in gear, flashing & no ABS. Will put on tank & ride it. Correct procedure ??? Thnx, Bob

Bob,

I think you may want to start a new thread with your problem.

Your system is the EVO-II brakes - no power boost (Thank Dog!). Quick answer - the light won't go out until the bike is MOVING - it has to see a signal from both the front and rear ABS sensors to verify that they're working correctly.

What you're seeing is normal. The light won't go out running it on the centerstand.

I have been searching for a second hand ABS modulator. I wonder if this is a replacement that I can do or do I need to have the dealer do the work?

• 2 months later...

It turned out that the used one I bought is not compatible with my bike. I don't know why. I returned it, and sent the bike to the dealer for a replacement.

Archived