IGNORED

Dry clutch question

Trebor

I recently acquired a gently ridden, long-garaged R1100RT. After replacing master cylinder, tires, and giving it some TLC, she seems to be a fine example of the breed. This is my first BMW and I have a simple question about the dry clutch operation. Clutches seem to be a popular oilhead topic... It's about the "clunk". No, not that "clunk"; I find the transmission noises to be ... reassuring. This is about the noise the clutch makes when it is engaged. OK, perhaps reading too many spline threads has made me paranoid, but when I rapidly (but smoothly wink.gif ) release the clutch lever, on the odd occasion that I begin the operation with too much enthusiasm, there is a "clunk" as the plates make contact. I guess I need to know, am I a) learning to love my oilhead, b) learning to operate a clutch the hard way, c) damaging a finely tuned machine in ways I can not possibly comprehend, or d) pretending that I got a good deal when I should be crying myself to sleep.

I'm pretty sure it's (a), but I needed some coaching.

Anyway, I'm new to the bay area and love the opportunity to experiment with my new dry clutch, while doubling my insurance payments.

cheers

ShovelStrokeEd

Without hearing the clunk it is difficult to tell. Most likely it is just drive line lash.

However, it could be that your clutch cable is binding or on its way out. Take a real good look at the portion of the cable up by the handle bar. Wouldn't hurt to have some grease on hand as well. The cables are not supposed to require any lubricant but the nipple on the end of the cable, where it goes into the lever, does need lubricant or it will bind and cause the cable to fray and eventually fail.

There is also an arm down under the transmission that has a pivot. A little spritz of WD-40 in that region won't hurt anything.

If you're talking about a little 'clunk' noise just as you get to the friction engage point as you let the clutch out, it's "a)". Or to put it another way, TADT. I've speculated what exactly that noise is, I think it has to do with the diaphragm spring flexing. But it is certainly a non-issue. Ride. Enjoy.

I guess I already knew the answer was TADT. It seems to be a technique problem rather than a mechanical issue. Thanks for helping to put my mind at rest. I'm not sure I've covered all the issues due to the extended garage neglect, but I'm certainly enjoying the ride.

Also, thanks Ed, It's just an occasional issue. Usually when I am coasting at very low speed. Sounds like you are diagnosing a more chronic issue.

Cheers.

I just redid my clutch and...it clunked before and it clunks after soooooooo...I'm jumping in with the TADT crowd.

Have a great time and welcome!! teeth.gif

Archived