IGNORED

what happens if you get water in the oil?

kelly1005

After I wash the RT I'm always careful to blow all of the water out of the oil fil cap area on the cylinder head. With all the rain the last few days though I've not been able to keep that area dry (like when parking at the store when it's still raining, etc).

So let's assume the cap isn't 100% perfect and some water does get into the oil fill hole. What's going to happen? I'm not thinking lots of water here, just a few spoonfulls or whatever would collect in the filler area and leak in.

Gee Kelly,

Oil & water aren't supposed to mix but when they do, frothy coffee colored foam is visible.

Wooster

Time flies like an arrow

fruit flies like a banana

So let's assume the cap isn't 100% perfect and some water does get into the oil fill hole. What's going to happen?

Your bike is going to transform into a locomotive, a steam locomotive! grin.gif

I think it takes a fair amount of water in the oil to froth it. Not a few drops. It will likely just boil off the first time you get the bike up to a full warm up long ride.

Paul Mihalka

If your oil filler cap is not hermetic tight, you would see oily smudge around it. If it stays clean of oil, water does not get in. I wouldn't worry.

Joe Frickin' Friday

When your engine is cold, combustion products (including water) leak past the piston rings and condense into the oil. The oil contains emulsifying agents to deal with this, which is why, as Wooster notes:

Oil & water aren't supposed to mix but when they do, frothy coffee colored foam is visible.

Indeed, without the emulsifiers, this wouldn't happen.

a bit of water getting in through tiny leak paths around the filler cap won't add up to much, and any water that does get in will soon be cooked out of the oil by an afternoon ride of a couple dozen miles. thumbsup.gif

I have a book at home that was published in about 1900 to 1910 that covers stationary steam and internal combustion engines. Several of the big stationary IC angines required you to put several gallons of oil and several gallons of water into the sump.

There, it was beat into a froth with the crankshaft. Apparently some less that bright engineer must have slipped on an oil/water mixture and probably figured that a mixture of the two was "slipperier" than straignt oil, so what better thing to put into a motor!

It was also interesting to see a photo of a several-ton engine that stood 5 or 6 feet tall, and produced 3 to 5 HP!

Bob.

Thanks everyone. I guessed it would boil off when the oil got hot but wanted to know the group's opinion.

No rain today and I took the day off to go goof around; I think I've sucessfully boiled off any residual water. smile.gif

Archived