IGNORED

Surge on 2014?

Gregg

Just purchased a great used '14 in Texas and drove home to CA in 2.5 days. Loved it. My first long ride.

Between 2-3500 RPMs the bike surges. It felt much like my '02 before the dual spark in '04.

Is anyone experiencing this? And, more importantly, any solutions?

nope not at all... that's a nice ride. You can hammer down on I10. It should be in warranty so would take it in and have them look at it. If you are near your checkup time, might just wait. Where did you buy it?

Try switching it to "rain" mode and see if that changes how it feels when in that zone. In heavy traffic mine is a bit touchy, or sensitive and feels like it surges or lurches a bit. Going to rain mode softens the throttle response and whatever else, but smooths out the transitions.

I had minor surge on my 2014, if I was hanging around 3500 rpm. It was probably part surge part me getting used to the electronic throttle sensitivity. Anyway, there is a software update- it was done at my 6k service and seems to have really helped that issue- it is gone from my bike.

Set your cruise control at the affected rpm range in which you think the surging is occuring.

If surging does not occur, then it is your throttle control input.

I found the "throttle by wire" system on my '15 RTW very different than the cable actuated system found on my 03 RT.

Either way, ensure that a current firmware update has been done on your RT.

MB>

I was wondering if it might be a software or firmware update issue. I just turned 6K on my long ride home to CA so I do plan to take it. Very helpful thanks!

Mine displayed the same lean mixture part throttle surging you describe when I picked it up new.

At the 600 mile service the firmware was updated and it was gone.

Mine displayed the same lean mixture part throttle surging you describe when I picked it up new.

Just back from BMW in SF. They guys didn't feel the surge but I still do. There was an upgrade on the firmware for the pro shift assist so...I'll have to drive a bit more to see if that has any impact.

Hi,

I had a similar issue with my 14RT. Spent a good deal of time in the shop. They kept saying couldn't feel it or find issue.

Had them check/ reset the cam timing - helped but I ended up swapping for a 15 RT which is much better.

Get your shop to do the left-hand cam timing checks and adjustment (there are some threads if you search the Internet).

Good luck

Not sure if this is the same thing, but my '14RT bucks like a bronco when coasting with the throttle closed or open very slightly. Have not noticed any surging at larger throttle openings. What do I ask for at the dealer to get the firmware update?

Hi,

I had a similar issue with my 14RT. Spent a good deal of time in the shop. They kept saying couldn't feel it or find issue.

Had them check/ reset the cam timing - helped but I ended up swapping for a 15 RT which is much better.

Get your shop to do the left-hand cam timing checks and adjustment (there are some threads if you search the Internet).

Good luck

Great! Thanks for the tip. I'll ask at the shop.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but my '14RT bucks like a bronco when coasting with the throttle closed or open very slightly. Have not noticed any surging at larger throttle openings. What do I ask for at the dealer to get the firmware update?

The dealer will check your VIN and should see what updates are available for your bike. It's a quick job.

I took the bike in to the dealer. They updated the firmware for the pro shift. The master tech. said he couldn't replicate the surge. Hmmm...it still feels very present to me but less so above 3K RPMs. Maybe I just need more miles...I only have a little over 6K.

Archived