IGNORED

RT13 Hard Starting

RTJohn

My new bike doesn't seem to like the cold. In Torrey it was 55 in the morning. The bike didn't want to start. I had to roll on the throttle a bit to keep it running for a few seconds. Never had that happen before. Any thoughts?

My new bike doesn't seem to like the cold. In Torrey it was 55 in the morning. The bike didn't want to start. I had to roll on the throttle a bit to keep it running for a few seconds. Never had that happen before. Any thoughts?

Afternoon John

Some do take little throttle in cold weather but 55°f doesn't seem to be that cold.

What oil viscosity are you using?--Thick oil can impede cold morning starting & lower cold start fast idle.

Hi DR. I'm still breaking in the engine so I'm using 20W-50 mineral oil. I was wondering about the viscosity as well. My 2010 did this once in Richfield but the temp then was 28. 55 doesn't seem so cold.

The bike is still under warranty but I wanted to ask around before I take to the dealer. Thank you.

Afternoon John

20w50 mineral oil is plenty thick even at 55°f so my guess is that is what you are dealing with.

Just give it a bit of throttle when it's cold until you get some more miles on it.

Not sure what the OP's actual symptom is here.

By hard to start does that mean it cranks well and fast but doesn't spark? Or does it spark and sputter out? If it cranks fast then I'm not sure how oil viscosity is an issue, especially at 55F.

Or does it mean it turns over very slowly wahh wahh wahh, which could be oil viscosity or it could be battery, but that seems odd at 55F on such a new bike.

Not sure what the OP's actual symptom is here.

Evening John

He had to roll on the throttle a bit to keep it running for a few seconds (basically a low cold-start fast idle)

• 1 month later...

well if its an on again off again type issue, as in one time it starts mostly fine and the next it doesn't then get the battery checked. It could be as simple as corrosion or a replacement being required.

I had to have the battery on my R Nine T replaced and it was a little over a year old as apparently BMW stock batteries are hit and miss

• 2 weeks later...

Calling a BMW boxer stock battery hit and miss is generous. Their output even new is at best marginal for cranking a hexhead/camhead in cool/cold weather. We've got 6 BMWs and none ever get a stock battery when first replacement is needed. My default is the Odyssey but I also use other quality AGMs. (Don't own any airheads)

• 1 month later...

So last week when the weather wasn't so cold the bike barely started. I replaced the battery with a new BMW battery. Problem solved. Starts right up like it used to.

Archived