IGNORED

Clutch uh-oh

Alroy

Daily rider here,

the clutch on my 2002 1150 RT has no pressure, and will not allow me to shift gears, a compadre of mine says there is an O-ring near the clutch handle{master cylinder} that has probably failed, may that be the problem?

any advice appreciated, I have had this bike 2.5 years now- 2times cross country- wonderful bike- 1st problem other than tires and battery.

It's probably the slave cylinder at the back of the transmission. That's a relatively common failure. I've never heard of a master cylinder failure on one of these bikes.

Quick check. take the cap off the clutch reservoir. If the fluid is dirty and smells like grease that's a good indication. Also, if you clutch engagement point has moved recently that's another indicator.

Morning Alroy

There are few things it could be (usually a bad slave but without more info we can't be sure)

So first thing-- is the clutch cyl reservoir full of fluid or empty.

Tell us that & we can make a better evaluation of your problem.

• 2 weeks later...
david Stevens

Hi all

After about riding the bike for 30 mins it is impossible to engage below 3 gear

I am therefore replacing the clutch slave cylinder and hoping for the best

Cheers

Why do you think it's the clutch slave? Does it shift into all gears with the engine off? Is the clutch feeling differently? Grinding when shifting? Not fully dis-engaging? Even if you completely lost the clutch you can still shift gears. Sure there's not more going on? Not that I'm wishing it on ya.

Tom

Hi all

Cheers

This does not sound like a clutch slave cylinder, or anything to do with the clutch actuation for that matter.

Clutch has no idea which gear you are in.

Hi all

Cheers

Before you go forward with the slave replacement take some time to carefully check your shifter mechanism. If those components have come loose you will have shifting problems. Assuming the shifter mechanism is intact you would be smart to try this simple diagnostic procedure:

To get a better idea if you are having an issue with the transmission put the bike on the center stand and sit on the ground/floor next to the shifter. Now try shifting the transmission up and down through the gears with your left hand. You're sitting on the ground so you can grab the rear wheel with your right hand and rotate it a bit back and forth while you are working your way through the gears. If you don't move the rear tire a bit you'll be unable to move from gear to gear somewhere along the way.

If you are unable to shift through the gears in this manner your problem is not your slave cylinder, but would indicate an internal transmission issue, again assuming your shifter mechanism is tight and properly adjusted.

the clutch on my 2002 1150 RT has no pressure, and will not allow me to shift gears, a compadre of mine says there is an O-ring near the clutch handle{master cylinder} that has probably failed, may that be the problem?

any advice appreciated, I have had this bike 2.5 years now- 2times cross country- wonderful bike- 1st problem other than tires and battery.

Morning Alroy

If your shifting problem is still being caused by "no pressure in the cutch system" then a new slave will probably get you back up & going again.

If you can't get FULL clutch release then shifting will be very poor.

Archived