IGNORED

RT fork seal change

CanAm76

As posted earlier, I plan on replacing the fork seals in my '97RT just as soon as the temp's warm a bit. While looking at the front end this past weekend I realized that the bottom fork legs are much longer than other bikes I've worked on. For those of you that have tackled this problem...can the lower fork legs be removed with the bike on the centerstand, or do I need to elevate it more for extra clearance? Thanks.

Don't remove the forks all the way. Just loosen one side at a time and drop the one you are going to work on first out of the top triple-clam. Then rotate the entire fork ass'y to the side away from the one you are going to work on, rotating it out in front of the bike where you can pull it up and apart. When done re-insert the fix one, tighten it, loosen the other side and repeat.

Did mine on the center stand with all the tupperware in place. I only did the fork slider that was leaking, left the other one alone. Pretty easy to do, hardest part was digging the old seal out and seating the new seal without damaging it.

Thanks Ken and Upflying, that's good news. The tupperware is already off because it's getting a new alternator belt along with fork seals. Between this and the marathon week late last summer for new tires,replaced the front wheel, suspension front and back, and fuel filter; then new throttle cables at the dealer not long ago, I should be sitting pretty for the summer. clap.gif

Archived