IGNORED

Throttle Cable Replacement !!

jrlunsford

How do you gain access to the throttle cable Y connector housing ? Trying to install new trottle cables and really having a hard time doing so. Need Help !!! dopeslap.gifbncry.gifconfused.gif

russell_bynum

Remove the fuel tank.

Pull the crankcase vent hose off the engine and pull it out of the way.

Loosen/remove the short cables from each throttle body using the barrel adjusters.

Remove the fast idle cable from the fast idle lever.

Remove the main cable from the twist grip.

There's little tab on the right side of the bike under the junction box. Press that tab down with a screwdriver or something while you pull/push the junction box out the right side. Sometimes it helps to push it through from the left using a long screwdriver or something.

The problem you'll have is that little metal tab on the subframe is in the way of the junction box. You CAN get it out with that tab there but it is a pain.

Me? I took a die-grinder to that little POS and hacked it right off. grin.gif

Russell, what are the barrell adjusters ? I've got my whole RT apart including the gas tank removed as I thought I'd get a full service done on it while I was at it. You know like change the oil and filter, replace the alternator belt, fuel filter, throttle cables, adjust the valves, syncronize the throttle bodies and what ever else need doing while I'm in there including new rear brake shoes. Bikes' only got a little over 54,000 miles. Just broken in good. Any help you might could give me I sure would appreciate it. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

The barrel adjusters are the knurled doohickeys on each of the short cables that you turn to adjust the off-idle sync.

Basically...you should see the black cable sheath coming out from the junction box and down to the throttle body. Where the sheath ends and it connects to the throttle body is the barrel adjuster. Then some threads. Then a locknut. Then the throttle body.

Loosen the locknut, unscrew the barrel adjuster to detach it from the throttle body, then free the end of the cable from the throttle body. Do that on both sides.

russell_bynum
Why is that tab there anyway? I bent it out of the way then bent it back into place.

Apparently, the electrical connector for the fuel pump attaches to that. But...on every oilhead I've ever seen, the plastic piece of the connector that is supposed to grab that friggin' little tab is broken...so the metal tab no longer serves any purpose other than to annoy you when you're doing throttle cable changes.

Archived