IGNORED

2006 R1200RT GS-911 error code 10442

NickInSac

Hello everyone,

2006 R1200RT 92,290 miles. She has been trouble free for the last 22k miles.

SUMMARY - Been riding fine for the last 22k miles. Rode the last 5k without any service. Rode in the rain last week. Wednesday night she does not idle in closed loop. Cold start it will barely idle.

Hooked up GS911

Found:

Fuse activated for component System Supply (O2 sensors, Fuel Evap control valve-if fitted, and additionally secondary air valve, fan motor for K- and F-series)

The fault is currently present.

Disconnected O2 sensors and what I presume is the Fuel evap control on the left side of the bike.

Still have fault present.

Can not clear fault code. I presume some other sensor is still tripping the computer CAN-BUS.

Tried idle stepper motor electrical disconnect, and the fuel injectors too.

What other component can trip this fault?

TIA

Nick

Hello everyone,

2006 R1200RT 92,290 miles. She has been trouble free for the last 22k miles.

SUMMARY - Been riding fine for the last 22k miles. Rode the last 5k without any service. Rode in the rain last week. Wednesday night she does not idle in closed loop. Cold start it will barely idle.

Hooked up GS911

Found:

Fuse activated for component System Supply (O2 sensors, Fuecontrol valvel Evap -if fitted, and additionally secondary air valve, fan motor for K- and F-series)

Disconnected O2 sensors and what I presume is the Fuel evap control on the left side of the bike.

Still have fault present.

Can not clear fault code. I presume some other sensor is still tripping the computer CAN-BUS.

Tried idle stepper motor electrical disconnect, and the fuel injectors too.

What other component can trip this fault?

Morning Nick

I'm not sure what you disconnected on the L/H side of the bike but the evap control valve in on top of the evap canister under the very front of the R/H fairing (out by the cruise control controller)

1200%20evap%20can_zpsktuti0ym.jpg

Thanks DR!

I will try disconnecting the electrical, on the right side, this afternoon and clear codes.

Do you think I need to disconnect the battery so the computer will reset the CANBUS?

Or will a simple ignition off and turn on reset the CANBUS?

Thanks.

Nick

Thanks DR!

I will try disconnecting the electrical, on the right side, this afternoon and clear codes.

Do you think I need to disconnect the battery so the computer will reset the CANBUS?

Or will a simple ignition off and turn on reset the CANBUS?

Afternoon Nick

It has nothing to do with the CanBus (nothing on the CanBus to reset). The CanBus is just the communication protocol between the onboard computers. Usually when a procedure refers to CanBus it isn't talking about the actual CanBus but is referring to a CanBus era motorcycle.

The thing that needs to be reset is the auto trip circuit. If all is well with the circuit (no shorts to ground or shorts across the circuit then it should automatically re-set at key-off/ then back on.

Personally I would try to disconnect the Evap valve first then see what happens.

If nothing changes with the evap system disconnect then look for pinched or shorted wires & if nothing found then try a battery disconnect for about 10 minutes. (don't forget to do a new TPS re-learn after battery disconnect)

Thanks again DR!

I disconnected the battery, but not for 10 minutes.

The only aftermarket electrical I have is the additional rear brake lights. These work though...

I'll try the lights if the Evap doesn't work. I'll post my results.

Thanks.

Afternoon Nick

It should have it's own failure code but if nothing else found you might try disconnecting the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) as those are noted to have shorting & failures after long riding in the rain (mainly if still the original aluminum colored FPC, not so much the later black FPC)

Where is the FPC???

It runs though... seems like if it's the FPC, it wouldn't run.

Afternoon Nick

Sure seems that way but it is worth a quick disconnect as a trial.

I looked in my BMW wiring diagrams & it doesn't show common outputs (all common connection is done inside the controllers) so nothing there to really help with what else is on that circuit.

You have a tough one to find there--

Two things I think I would try--

See if you get the GS-911 hooked up & keep it running long enough to trap data from cold start to about where it would enter closed loop. (Maybe we can spot another sensor that is not working). Anything else not operational would be suspect.

If you just can't find anything then keep starting the engine & running as long as you can keep it running. Hopefully the engine heat will eventually dry out whatever is causing the issue.

You don't have a police bike do you (RT-P)? If so suspect the fan circuit.

Thanks TheOtherLee. Apparently, I already disconnected the FPC yesterday.

I disconnected the FPC and the other wire there (sender unit?) on the fuel tank. I also disconnected the EVAP unit electrical.

I still get the scan code.

I will reconnect it all and get a log going in a few minutes.

Thanks.

Evening Nick

I don't do this very often but your problem is very unique & I kind of wanted to know for myself also.

So I called a friend (an experienced BMW tec)--

Somewhat bad news-- he has only seen one non-resetting 10442 failure, he said it was difficult to isolate but turned out to be a pinched wire going out to the evap can valve (was pinched under a bolt J clip)

So maybe follow the evap valve wire back under the front as far as you can & verify it is not pinched or contacting anything that could cut or pinch it.

Maybe do the same with the o2 sensor wires (follow as far as you can to see if pinched or caught under a bolt or frame joint)

I got some quick logs.

DR - story of my life it seems... (those never fail, porsches, Vws, toyotas I've owned etc...) got to laugh LOL

It seems the idle actuators are not moving.

They both stayed at 204.

Damn, how do I attach a file?

getting a dropbox

Evening Nick

They might just be running out to 204 counts in an attempt to keep it running.

I keep my E-Mail account personal as I also use it for work so I can't accept an E-Mail.

Maybe PM Roger as I think he might allow you to E-Mail the .csv file to him for viewing.

Evening Nick

I took a quick look at your data & nothing stands out as effecting your circuit drop error code.

I sure wish I knew what else was on that o2 sensor circuitry.

Maybe try unplugging the cruise control module.

Do you have ANYTHING ELSE installed on that bike (like GPS, phone hook up, intercom, etc)

I'm getting 114 ohms at the wiring to the computer on the EVAP connector.

Evening Nick

In relation to what? Is that resistance to ground or across the connector terminals?

Across the connector terminals. There are two wires. I just wanted to see if there was zero resistance. I would think if there was zero resistance, that would be the short. I will try it on the other connectors.

I do have a GPS. It is directly wired to the battery.

I also have a third brake light and LED brake lights. These are working though. I cut that wire. Still persists.

Disconnected electronics on the cruise control module in the upper right fairing...

I will just start disconnecting stuff until it clears.. blah

I wonder if it could be the ignition controllers. But then, I'd think it would run poorly. Do the secondary sparks only turn on above 4k?

What if I disconnect the secondary spark modules (these are under the head, right?

Across the connector terminals. There are two wires. I just wanted to see if there was zero resistance. I would think if there was zero resistance, that would be the short. I will try it on the other connectors.

Evening Nick

Try a resistance reading on each wire to ground. My guess is that it isn't shorted ACROSS the wires way more likely one is shorted to ground (if that wire branch IS the problem child).

Hello DR.

One is grounded. One is not. I presume the ground is there so it can turn on the solenoid though.

Evening Nick

They usually operate by the computer supplying 12v to one valve solenoid terminal THEN the computer grounds the other valve solenoid terminal when it wants to operate the valve solenoid.

It sort of sounds like something is going to ground that shouldn't (BUT) it could be the evap 12v supply wire OR another wire on the same circuit going to ground.

Also, keep in mind that back measuring the 12v supply circuit will show (some) resistance to ground as it sees resistance to ground on other circuit branches that are still connected.

I found it!

I don't (know) what it is that I disconnected!

Evening Nick

Try to explain to us what it looks like & where it is located?

Or give me wire colors (main color & stripe color)

I found it!

Damn, I can't replicate the error when I pluyg it back in though...

Evening Nick

Maybe it isn't the THING that you disconnected but a short to ground in the wire going to the thing & you disturbed that short when you disconnected it.

First we need to figure out WHAT you disconnected?

Hmmmm...

I was too quick to reconnect everything...

I reconnected and started it up. It ran fine.

I turned it off. Started it again and now I have the same systems along with the BIG RED Exclamaition on the dash. I didn't get the exclaimation before.

I disconnected the Evap, Cruise and the funny connector. I wlil send a pic in a few. This connector is next to the glove box on the side. It has two wires. One wire is yellow with a red stripe. The other is yellow with a brown stripe.

Thank you again DR!!!

Hmmm, Front and rear rebound is out of adjustment.

It had ESA, these were removed some time ago. The controls are no longer on the bike.

1 fault codes found:

Fuse activated for component System Supply (O2 sensors, Fuel Evap control valve-if fitted, and additionally secondary air valve, fan motor for K- and F-series)

ZFE-High

ZFE type:

ZFE-High

Factory I-Level:

K024-06-01-500

Actual I-Level:

K024-06-01-500

Part No.:

Hardware Index:

Coding Index:

Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD):

2004-04-15

MCV:

FSV:

OSV:

Manufacturer:

Loewe Lear

HWOE No.:

Factory I-Level:

K024-06-01-500

Actual I-Level:

K024-06-01-500

Speed sensor manufacturer is Beru

Speed sensor type is DF11

ABS fitted

Heated grips

Heated seat passenger

Outside temperature sensor

Film type fuel sensor

Manual low beam off switch

Brake light type is LED

Storage of temperature indication when engine hot

Electronic windscreen present

2 fault codes found:

Front rebound adjustment, open-circuit

Rear rebound adjustment, open-circuit

Integral ABS - CAN

Part No.:

HW Version No.:

Coding Index:

B

Manufacturer:

FTE

Manufacturing Date:

2006-01-11

HWOE No.:

MCV:

FSV:

OSV:

Assembly No.:

FTE Serial No.:

03630805X

Hardware No.:

Hardware star No.:

ICT barcode:

3FC6F4E9

Housing barcode

Part number:

Serial number:

Internal index number:

FTE Serial number of device:

Modulator:

Main computer date:

2005-01-27

Communication and control computer date:

2005-05-24

Communication and control computer version:

V03.12

1 fault codes found:

CAN-bus timeout from Engine

CAN-Kombi H/L

Cluster type:

CAN-Kombi H/L

Part No.:

Hardware Index:

C4

Coding Index:

Manufacturer:

Siemens VDO Automotive

Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD):

2004-02-29

MCV:

FSV:

OSV:

HWOE No.:

Assembly No.:

Variant:

K25 Adventure

Factory I-Level:

K024-06-01-500

Actual I-Level:

K024-06-01-500

No fault codes found

One wire is yellow with a red stripe. The other is yellow with a brown stripe.

Thank you again DR!!!

Evening Nick

Those wire colors kind of point to one of the engine knock sensors.

Hmmm, didn't touch much. The rebound adjustment error is gone after I cleared codes. I still have a big red exclaimation though. Apparently, I found the side stand switch connector. Now I have that as an error code.

Hmmm, didn't touch much. The rebound adjustment error is gone after I cleared codes. I still have a big red exclaimation though. Apparently, I found the side stand switch connector. Now I have that as an error code.

Evening Nick

Try key-on, side stand up then cycle the kill switch, then side stand down & cycling the kill switch.

HAha This is fun.. Now I got a front ADC speed sensor fault. :(

I reconnected the Yellow w/ Red and Yellow with Brown. Reconnected the kickstand connector. Cleared codes. The Rebound and the Speed Sensor and kickstand switch errors cleared.

No more Red Exclaimation.

I still have the one original code though. :(

The rebound error is back.

2 fault codes found:

Not sure where to chase these down. Since, i don't have ESA. I presume this is ESA related.

This seems to be the ESA bypass. There are six wires on this connector. 1) Brown, 2) blue w/red stripe 3) Purple w/red stripe 4) Purple 5) White w/Brown stripe 6) White w/black stripe. The "Cap" for it has two wires with a resistor in it. I'm guessing this is an ESA bypass. It seems, when I reconnect this cap, I get the ESA code clears. But it seems when I moved this around and cleared codes it ran good again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46939143/2015-09-25%2015.44.20.jpg

Evening Nick

If you HAD ESA at one time (ie bike came with ESA) & then removed the ESA it would probably show those codes. Unless a dash light illuminates I wouldn't worry too much about the ESA codes (they don't effect engine operation)

I scanned the bike some time ago. I never got the ESA codes before.

I wonder if the fault is in the ESA. If the ESA is connected to this circuit on the computer/canbus.

Fun

Played with the wiring harness where, presumably, this ESA wiring is located. Of course there is a lot there too.

Running now. Getting a log

I scanned the bike some time ago. I never got the ESA codes before.

I wonder if the fault is in the ESA. If the ESA is connected to this circuit on the computer/canbus.

Evening Nick

I doubt the ESA is in any way connected, that is on a separate computer & not part of the engine controls.

The idle actuators are not moving...

Try a battery disconnect for a few minutes (like 10 minuets) then re-connect battery & do a fresh TPS relearn then see what you get.

Or maybe try a stepper reset on your GS-911 first.

I tried to reset the stepper motors. There wasnt any humming. I also tried the idle actuator test 1 and 2. I did not notice any humming.

Next I disconnected the idle actuator motors on both sides. These are next to the fuel injector with four wires, correct?

I tried clearing codes. They would not clear. I started the bike. it ran bouncing between 2k and 3k again.

I disconnected the battery. I will wait 10 minutes or so for me and the bike to cool down.

Thank you again.

I disconnected the battery. I will wait 10 minutes or so for me and the bike to cool down.

Thank you again.

Evening Nick

Make sure you do a TPS re-lean after battery reconnect--

TPS re-learn procedure-----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive post for 30 seconds. (you already did this with the battery disconnect)

Then

*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive terminal.

Then

*Switch on the ignition.

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle once or twice so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

Hello everyone (DR)

So I did all that. And it seemed to be ok.

It runs and idles. Then after about a minute. It loses its idle and goes to about 800 rpms and recovers at about 1200 rpms. Doing a log. I see the idle actuators are not moving (still).

Here is the log.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46939143/log%202015-09-25b.csv

How can I test the idle actuator values???

Thanks.

Looking at the data from the 2 GS911 logs posted 9-25-2015 I found what appears to me to be an anomaly where the ignition angle goes down, the rpm goes up with no change in throttle position. Don't know if this means anything but here are the charts:

2015-09-25a

2015-09-25b

Morning Nick

Fist off, I see no throttle position change so see if you can run another data trap but this time run the throttle up to about 1/2 throttle a couple of times (this verifies that the TPS is inputting)

Next, I see the stepper COMMANDED COUNTS are locked at 204 counts but the idle RPM's just isn't that high. From the data stream we really don't know if the steppers are at commanded or not.

My next suggestion is to: unplug & remove the GS-911-- Then key-on & allow the dash to COMPLETLY go through it's power up & boot up. (do this twice)--Also listen for the steppers to whirr at key on.

After 2 key-ons & 2 key-offs -- turn the key & on allow the dash to completely boot up THEN start the engine & see how it runs, after the idle stabilizes revv the engine a couple of times.

If it now sounds better then try putting the GS-911 back on & run a data log to see what you have (or at least look at stepper data)

I really don't know what you have there but it sort of looks like the steppers are are still locked (maybe jammed, or maybe the GS-911 is forcing that for some reason, or maybe that circuit in the BMS-K is not working)

If it still shows 204 stepper counts after the above then try using the GS-911 to do a stepper calibration.

If still no joy then maybe try unplugging both steppers & starting the engine (allows the BMS-K to re-set the stepper circuit. Then try just plugging one stepper in & looking at the stepper data on the GS-911--then unplug that one & try the other side stepper plugged in.

CAUTION: NEVER (I repeat) NEVER power up the bike or key-on with a stepper removed from a TB & the wires plugged into the stepper (the pintle will screw itself right out on the ground) & those pintles are a pain to re-install.

Good Morning DR,

I just took a look through the log. One thing that jumps off the page is the ~90 degree ignition advance at idle. As you mentioned, the stepper counts look fishy too.

When the ignition advance blips (per his photo of 9.25a), the angle goes from +90 degrees to about -90 degrees.

Makes me wonder if the BMSK or GS-911 has a problem.

RB

Morning Roger

He was having an issue (I think) with one of his knock sensors so that can cause the ignition advance to realty jump around.

It still sure is possible he has BMS-K issue though.

Morning Nick

Fist off, I see no throttle position change so see if you can run another data trap but this time run the throttle up to about 1/2 throttle a couple of times (this verifies that the TPS is inputting)

Next, I see the stepper COMMANDED COUNTS are locked at 204 counts but the idle RPM's just isn't that high. From the data stream we really don't know if the steppers are at commanded or not.

My next suggestion is to: unplug & remove the GS-911-- Then key-on & allow the dash to COMPLETLY go through it's power up & boot up. (do this twice)--Also listen for the steppers to whirr at key on.

After 2 key-ons & 2 key-offs -- turn the key & on allow the dash to completely boot up THEN start the engine & see how it runs, after the idle stabilizes revv the engine a couple of times.

If it now sounds better then try putting the GS-911 back on & run a data log to see what you have (or at least look at stepper data)

I really don't know what you have there but it sort of looks like the steppers are are still locked (maybe jammed, or maybe the GS-911 is forcing that for some reason, or maybe that circuit in the BMS-K is not working)

If it still shows 204 stepper counts after the above then try using the GS-911 to do a stepper calibration.

If still no joy then maybe try unplugging both steppers & starting the engine (allows the BMS-K to re-set the stepper circuit. Then try just plugging one stepper in & looking at the stepper data on the GS-911--then unplug that one & try the other side stepper plugged in.

CAUTION: NEVER (I repeat) NEVER power up the bike or key-on with a stepper removed from a TB & the wires plugged into the stepper (the pintle will screw itself right out on the ground) & those pintles are a pain to re-install.

PUrsuing this now. I did the two key starts without starting it.

I started it up and it ran as it should during cold start. When it warmed up, it started fluctating the idle between 800 and 1300 slowly.

I did another log with me opening the throttle about half way up to 6K rpms.

The log is here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46939143/log%202015-09-26.csv

Thank you again for looking and providing feedback. Your help is very much appreciated.

Nick

Morning Roger

He was having an issue (I think) with one of his knock sensors so that can cause the ignition advance to realty jump around.

It still sure is possible he has BMS-K issue though.

I think I disconnected the knock sensor (yellow w/red and a yellow with brown) earlier. This is reconnected in today's log listed in my previous post with today's date 2015-09-26.

Nick

Afternoon Nick

That data dump still shows no stepper movement-- Why I don't know.

At least the TPS is moving & seems to be reading correctly.

It seems you either have a stepper control issue or for some reason your GS-911 is locking the steppers.

Have you tried running it with the GS-911 disconnected?

Maybe one of your steppers is bad causing the BMS-K to shut the stepper control down. You might try disconnecting one stepper then running a GS-911 log, then reconnecting that side stepper & disconnect the other side & run a data log.

Are BOTH SIDE steppers FULLY plugged in??????

SOOOOoooooooo the original fault is gone.

Bike runs.

I chased down a little wire that the PO zipped tied up and labeled with a white printed label ESA. Yay. I chased this bundled wire up to a connector. I unplugged the connector. Powered on the bike, ran the Gs-911 for fun. No more main BMS circuit errors.

OK.

I ran the bike, turned on logs. Both stepper motors appear to be running now.

I DO still have the two ESA faults though. I am certain, I did not have these errors before when I had my GS-911 on the bike when all was well. I wonder if something disconnected, or broke in the old ESA wiring that is not in use. I wonder if this triggered the circuit failure in the computer / CAN BUS.

Does anyone know where I can look for this wiring harness? color codes?

Perhaps, the resistor on the CAP shorted before. Now it broke? I will check it's resistance.

Here is the log from it running well. The idle actuators are running around 139.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46939143/log%202015-09-26a.csv

Nick - Feeling hopeful!

Afternoon Nick

I really don't see how the system couldn't have those ESA errors present as it IS looking for the ESA input & there is none coming back.

About the only way I cold see those ESA errors not being present is IF the control computer is re-programmed to a non ESA base bike.

I suppose it is possible at that after a while of riding the thing just quits looking for the ESA & all you get then is old stored failure codes & even those will probably eventually go away after a number of re-starts.

If that bike HAD ESA & now it doesn't have ESA shocks (personally) I wouldn't worry about ESA error codes, either present or past. (maybe ride it for a few weeks then re-check for ESA error codes)

Archived