IGNORED

ANY REASON NOT TO INSTALL THROTTLEMEISTER??

chrisstroh

Are there any reason NOT to install a throttlemeister on my 02 rt? I notice my thumb getting a little numb and thought this would solve it. Any minus' about it? I'm not sure exactly how they work.

THX!

I have a set of Throttlemeisters on my R1200ST and absolutely love them!

Throttlemeisters work on the principle of friction. Once properly installed (took about 20-30 minutes total on my ST) you just rotate the bar end to apply friction to the throttle tube. This holds the throttle in position. You can adjust or close the throttle with a twist of the grip. This is for obvious safety reasons. To disengage, just rotate the bar end the opposite direction to release the friction.

The kit you get will have everything you need to do the install. Take the time to ensure you have the bar end shimmed correctly so that you get enough, but not too much, friction when engaged. Oh yea, if you have heated grips, turn them on and get them hot before installing due to the heat expansion affecting the shim adjustment.

Go for them, they are a wonderful wrist relaxer, IMHO. They look great and are made very well!

They are available in light and heavy. I went with the heavy as the damped out, what little there was, the vibration I had at about 4500 rpm.

Good Luck!

You also might want to look at Bob's Wrist Rest (www.bobsbmw.com). It's similar to the Throttlemeister...very high quality. I have them on my K100RT and R1150RT and they work great....and they look a little better than the Throttlemeister IMHO.

Someone's asking $75. for them and will take a money order only and he's in Canada and I'm in Cal. He's a member here at the forum. I'm used to dealing through paypal for security but is this the way it's done if paypal isn't available?

You may want to consider the Kaoko throttle control available here: Kaoko

I put one on my GS and like it so much that I removed the Throttlemeister from my RT and installed the much less expensive Kaoko. The knurled ring on the Kaoko is so much easier to adjust on the fly. Installation takes about 5 minutes. thumbsup.gif

I think the Throttle Rocker or Wrist Rest is dangerous. Too easy to accellerate unintentionally, especially when wearing thick gloves.

I think the Throttle Rocker or Wrist Rest is dangerous. Too easy to accellerate unintentionally, especially when wearing thick gloves.

DITTO! During emergency braking your fingers pull on the front brake lever while the palm of your hand instinctively grabs the right grip for all its worth. The end result is your palm pushing on the Throttle-Rocker/Wrist Rest forcing a potential full-throttle situation at the same time you're trying to stop for that jack-knifed 18-wheeler in front of you blush.gif

DITTO! During emergency braking your fingers pull on the front brake lever while the palm of your hand instinctively grabs the right grip for all its worth. The end result is your palm pushing on the Throttle-Rocker/Wrist Rest forcing a potential full-throttle situation at the same time you're trying to stop for that jack-knifed 18-wheeler in front of you blush.gif

Well, I guess that could be a problem . . . if you didn't know what the heck you were doing. tongue.gif

I've ridden with Throttle Rockers for thousands of miles and, if you have it positioned properly and are sufficiently prepared that you're not gonna pee in your pants and whack the throttle open when you have to brake hard, this won't be an issue.

In fact, I've never heard of anyone who claimed to have had problems stopping because of a Throttle Rocker. Not saying it hasn't happened; I've just never heard of it. Some people don't like them because they feel it makes throttle control difficult in corners. I haven't had that experience, though--I suspect some of these folks have not got them positioned correctly.

Really, though, if you're not comfortable with something like this--whether it's a throttle lock or something like the rocker--you shouldn't use it.

Just in case, the "throttle rocker" is the spoon-like thing you attach TO the grip to move the throttle with the palm of your hand. "Throttlemeister" is the friction type throttle control you attach to the end of the handlebar and "WristRest" is somewhat similar to the Throttlemeister, made and distribuited by Bob's BMW.

I find mine to be good for use on the highway when I am away from traffic. You will still have to make small adjustments when going up or down hills.

I find mine to be good for use on the highway when I am away from traffic. You will still have to make small adjustments when going up or down hills.

Yup, it is NOT a cruise control, just something to hold the throttle open so you can relax your grip on your throttle hand occassionally.

I've got a Throttlemeister on my GS, a Bob's WristRest on my RT and a "Flip A Lever" gizmo on my K75. They all work on friction and all have to be adjusted as you run up or down hills. They all work fine, the T-M and Bob's are almost identical in operation. The Flip on the K75 actually does the best job of all at keeping a steady speed. I just love that K75..... I think the throttle lock is the best money I've spent on any of the bikes for comfort. If I could afford a new R1200RT I'd definitely spring for the cruise control!

Regardless of which bike I'm on, I ALWAYS disengage the throttle lock when in traffic or the twisties so that I have proper roll-on/roll-off throttle control for conditions.

Well, what Rich said should be considered. Better for less.

What Mike said I agree with. A throttle Rocker/Cramp Buster et al works great IMO.

On my R bikes I used both with the throttle rocker in constant use, throttlemeister limited use.

With the K I still use the Throttle Rocker all the time, or set the cruise.

Properly positioned I never had a problem with the throttle rocker.

When I bought my BMW new in 1999 the dealer said, The ThrottleMeister was a good add on, I almost never use it. They do look very good.

Something to thing about any way when making a decision... The throttlemeiser and Kako rotate with the throttle to engage/tighten, the Bob's the opposite. Not sure if either is better than the other, just different.

Are there any reason NOT to install a throttlemeister on my 02 rt? I notice my thumb getting a little numb and thought this would solve it. Any minus' about it? I'm not sure exactly how they work.

THX!

Yes, you can do the same thing with a fat O-ring for a couple of bucks. This one's from Caterpillar.

Throttlelock%2011060223253.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

It works by increasing the drag on the throttle. It won't necessarily lock the throttle but eases the strain on holding it open. I have one on my 1100S and never bother to disengage it. The o-ring is a dash size 305. Be a bit wary when you first install this as it might bind your throttle completely. I have never had that problem but I did take the time to test before riding the bike.

Thx, I'm glad I asked. My 75 Harley had a simple thumb screw on the bottom of the throttle handle. You simply tighened it for the amount of drag you wanted. I never had a problem with it. (But you knew that anyway "shovel") grin.gif

Ok, how does it work? Can you tell me what exact o ring will work and I'll try it!

Chris wink.gif

What Ed said, plus, make sure the O-ring is big enough not to fit into the gap completely. On my bike, the O-ring will keep the throttle in the position I want it. If you want to slow or speed up, just roll on or off. There is only a little extra friction to overcome. When you're completely done with it, roll it over to the end weight and let it rest there. You'll be surprised how simple it is.

I've had one for years and they work great on long trips. They are tightened just to the point of maintaining speed. If all you do is riding around town, I'd pass. But, if you're planning some distance then you'll appreciate them.

no reason not to install it, although I mostly use mine to keep the idle where I want it when ice cold. the few times I've used it on trips however have been real nice.

Rick G

I have a Throttlemeister installed, and use a Throttle Rocker. I have not had any issues with the Throttle Rocker. I have not found it to be unsafe at any speed and find it very comfortable and useful on longer rides. I do not use the Throttlemeister very much and, yes, the adjustment will change if you use heated grips.

I've also used a Vista Cruise on previous bikes and find it's function preferable to the Throttlemeister at a significantly lower cost, but not (IMHO) as aesthetically pleasing.

Had the larger and heavier TM's on my RT for a couple of years now and really like them thumbsup.gif.

Actually reduced vibration and it makes it so much easier when on a long run to give your right wrist a rest now and then, especially when you are getting up in years grin.gifgrin.gif

Mine was a waste of $. I have a Throttle Boss that is far superior to letting me rest my rt. hand/wrist while holding speed far better than does the throttlemeister. IMO, don't spend the $.

Bart Anderson

I've had a Bob's wrist wrest for years, and although it works great I find that I almost never use it, even on trips. The thing I find it most useful for is holding the throttle open for the high-speed throttle body sync.

Hey Mike, Now you can say you've herd of someone having a problem with a throttle rocker. I had one. Used it for several years, about 40,000 miles. Only had minor problems at low speed, in tight spaces because of extra leverage involved and the need for finese. Then one day in the middle of a downhill 120 degree right hander in the shade doing about 35 mph in a posted 20. I had a glancing blow with about a 4 inch rock. Just enough to destablize the steering and send me headed for the borrow ditch in the other lane. I nearly had it saved and then my aerostich caught on the rocker, keeping the throttle on when I needed it to be off. There I was trying to recover from the bobble, down shift, brake smoothly, and now fight with the stinking throttle. I'd have saved it if I didn't have the throttle problem. I went into a shallow (2 foot) rock filled borrow ditch. I had it slowed to about 10 mph when I finally did a kind of Rowan and Martin Laugh in tip over on the righ side. Nary a scratch on me or my aerostich. My 96 RT wasn't so lucky. Those rocks had scraped up the lower coweling, side faring, front fairing, R peg, shifter, blew the fork seals, scuffed the right saddle bag badly, put very minor nicks in my R side cylinder head, and put a slight wow in the rim. TOTALED the bike by about 750 bucks. I had it all fixed and I'm still riding my sweet 96 RT. But the moral of the story is that throttle rocker ruined my planned 4 day trip, caused me a lot of grief getting things fixed and hastling with the insurance agent, could have resulted in serious injury had there been oncomming traffic, and now I have a TOTALED Title which will greatly reduces the value of my scooter, no matter how cosmetic the damage was. Throttle rockers are not worth it. frown.gif

I thought the Throttlemeister was neat at first, but because it never really controlled speed, I seldom use it. Now I only use it when I need to stretch my right hand for a couple seconds.

I thought the Throttlemeister was neat at first, but because it never really controlled speed, I seldom use it. Now I only use it when I need to stretch my right hand for a couple seconds.

Ditto Bill's comment. I had Bob's Wrist Rest on my 2 previous RT's, and seldom used it...except for that finger stretch every couple of hours.

AFA the Throttle Rocker, I had been using one. I noticed a few times going into corners the engine speed not dropped because of Throttle Rocker "interference".

I did not take time to analyze the problem. I just took it off, and never put it back on. It is probably still in my junk-box boneyard in the garage. smirk.gif

I've had a Throttlemeister on my '04 GS for 2 years. started with the Caterpillar rubber O ring and while it would work it was very inconvienant to disengage, especially at speed quickly. So after my $3 solution was found to be unacceptable I ponyed up the big bucks for a Throttlemeister and have zero regrets. I often go on multiday trips with 500+ mile days and without the Throttlemeister my hand would be numb (suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome). I have seen people complain that they are hard to set in the rain--this has not been my experience at all. During 8 hour ride in heavy downpour with soggy gloves I easily set and released the Throttlemeister multiple times. Kaoko throttle lock came out about the time I purchased the throttlemeister and I've seen very favorable reports on those as well. A lot of people who say they think they are far superior to throttlemeister don't give convincing evidence of having owned both. One poster did have both and indicated no preferance. If you don't get carpal tunnel syndrome and don't do long rides I'd say a throttle lock is probably a waste of money.

SAAB93driver

I have the Bob's wrist rest for almost 10 years, transferred between 3 bikes. It performs as I expect but can be a pain to engage it. To be honest I wouldn't even think of engaging it in the rain but I can see where that would make it even more difficult.

I have changed my riding habits/tastes in past few years to minimize interstate travel so I use the wrist rest less and less. On the rare occasion when I can find a long enough interstate stretch that isn't mad crazy with traffic or idiot drivers the wrist rest gives some benefit.

Bill Murray

I use a Throttle Rocker. Years ago, I added a Throttlemeister to a Yamaha sport bike, but was never entirely satisfied with it. I began using a Throttle Rocker on my K12RS, and continued to use it on my K12GT even though it had cruise control (it allowed me to relax my grip when not using the cruise control). The Throttle Rocker now has a home on my R12ST. An inexpensive, but very effective, solution.

I did a trip last fall from Chicago to DC to NYC and back with the ThrottleMeister.

The Good:

Relieves the strain on the wrist.

Reduces vibration vis-a vis stock end-bars.

Shiney (says the 5 YO)

Yep.

The Annoyances:

As you climb the Allegany Mtns in PA, you’re constantly fiddly with the adjustment to keep the friction from locking up the throttle (OK, more friction than I like).

Too smooth to adjust – I have a black rubber band from vegetables that I bought to help out.

Frankly, a pain to yank on when at speed – I seem to always drop the throttle, twist it on & then resume. Gak.

Bottom line – don’t do 3 to 4 thousand miles without one.

Archived