IGNORED

Rear Wheel Slop

bugsquawsher

I thought I posted this yesterday but I can't find the post now.

Anyhow

Slop is actually a Harsh word for what I'm tryin to describe.

If you have the Left Bag off and you sit next to the rear Tire facing the Bike, and Grab the Rear Wheel with your left hand near the engine and the Right hand Near the licence plate and try to twist the rear tire left and right in respect to the line of the bike. How much should it move?

Mine doesn't really move enough to see, But I can hear/feel there is a little movement.

I'm not sure if its in the arm or the Final Drive.

Is there a slight about of movement here?

Tom

Tom;

The following is something I copied from another forum.

"Slop in the final drive pivot bearings or swingarm bearings is an annoyance that will eventually result in sloppy handling and should be replaced when it's convenient.

Slop (or noise) in wheel bearings is a dangerous phenomenon that can lead (and has led) to catastrophic, at-speed failure. Fix this immediately.

To locate the slop, put the bike on the centerstand and then:

Grab the swingarm just forward of the final drive and vigorously wiggle it side-to side.

If you DO hear/feel slop, the problem is the bearings at the front of the swingarm.

If you DO NOT, then

Grab the final drive unit and vigorously wiggle side-to-side and then up/down.

If you DO hear/feel slop, the problem is the pivot bearings at the front of the final drive unit.

If you DO NOT, then

Grab the wheel and vigorously wiggle side-to-side and up/down with gearbox in neutral. Try not to rotate the wheel while you do this; you're looking for wheel bearing slop, so you don't want to generate driveline noise that might result in a misdiagnosis. If you feel slop when you do this - or hear/feel vibrations from the final drive, drain the oil out of it and check for chunks of metal in the oil and on the drain plug. If you've got chunks, it's time to go shopping for a new final drive unit or gathering the parts for a bearing replacement."

Tom;

The following is something I copied from another forum.

"Slop in the final drive pivot bearings or swingarm bearings is an annoyance that will eventually result in sloppy handling and should be replaced when it's convenient.

Slop (or noise) in wheel bearings is a dangerous phenomenon that can lead (and has led) to catastrophic, at-speed failure. Fix this immediately.

To locate the slop, put the bike on the centerstand and then:

Grab the swingarm just forward of the final drive and vigorously wiggle it side-to side.

If you DO hear/feel slop, the problem is the bearings at the front of the swingarm.

If you DO NOT, then

Grab the final drive unit and vigorously wiggle side-to-side and then up/down.

If you DO hear/feel slop, the problem is the pivot bearings at the front of the final drive unit.

If you DO NOT, then

Grab the wheel and vigorously wiggle side-to-side and up/down with gearbox in neutral. Try not to rotate the wheel while you do this; you're looking for wheel bearing slop, so you don't want to generate driveline noise that might result in a misdiagnosis. If you feel slop when you do this - or hear/feel vibrations from the final drive, drain the oil out of it and check for chunks of metal in the oil and on the drain plug. If you've got chunks, it's time to go shopping for a new final drive unit or gathering the parts for a bearing replacement."

Anyone care to define "chunks"? The final drive has only 2k miles since it's rebuild last fall when the bearing failed. This weekend I replaced all the fluids checked the valves, TB sync, new shocks and rear tire. The final drive oil looked good but there were very tiny flakes stuck to the drain plug magnet. This was not the usual gray mushy stuff I find on drain plugs but it was so fine I couldn't feel it when I rubbed it between my fingers.

I think I'll replace the oil in the final drive again in another couple thousand miles and see whats on the magnet. I also noticed a little slop in the rear wheel but it felt like it was the rear pivot bearings. Any comments??

Archived